What's a driver to do

I've been a full time package car driver for 9.5 yrs, 15 yrs of service. I had an issue with my license, so currently I am a driver helper, helping on my own route. (Its an unusual situation) The issue is the new guy who just got his 30 day full time driving seniority. He has been on my route about 2-2.5 months. He doesn't know north from south,east to west, etc. He will nose 1st into driveways then reverse out, etc. I could go on and on, almost more things wrong than right. I've been his helper for 4 days now and everyday I find myself repeating the same basic fundamentals, to no real progress to speak of. The new driver seems like he cares about doing better and being safer, unfortunately in reality its more like a B- for Effort , and friend for execution. My question is when should I say something to someone and who, a shop steward or ........? I don't mean any harm to this new driver , but if he keeps doing what he's, its not good 4 anyone?

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Sounds like the new driver is anxious and still can’t get the feel of it when behind the wheel. If he’s doing something wrong tell him to stop right there. You’re not a supe or anything but better to fix them now than have them screw up majorly.

quad decade guy

I've been a full time package car driver for 9.5 yrs, 15 yrs of service. I had an issue with my license, so currently I am a driver helper, helping on my own route. (Its an unusual situation) The issue is the new guy who just got his 30 day full time driving seniority. He has been on my route about 2-2.5 months. He doesn't know north from south,east to west, etc. He will nose 1st into driveways then reverse out, etc. I could go on and on, almost more things wrong than right. I've been his helper for 4 days now and everyday I find myself repeating the same basic fundamentals, to no real progress to speak of. The new driver seems like he cares about doing better and being safer, unfortunately in reality its more like a B- for Effort , and friend for execution. My question is when should I say something to someone and who, a shop steward or ........? I don't mean any harm to this new driver , but if he keeps doing what he's, its not good 4 anyone?
You could refuse to ride with him. Everyone(including him) knows he wasn't trained that way. Maybe he's not that bright. Quite possible. I find that a lot of new hires just take the training and then do what they want to do. Example: Our building just went one direction travel around the building. We have folks that just don't do it. Yard walkers that don't follow the yard rules on and on.

Refuse to ride with him and that will get everyone's attention. It will at least start a chain of events or should. Up to and including grievances and up. Consequences? Lot's. Your safety being one of them(and his). In the end, if you know he is unsafe and do nothing about it....is immoral and unethical.

DriverNerd

You are not his trainer, you are his helper. Help with delivering and route knowledge, don't say anything about his driving unless you actually feel scared to be in the truck with him. Why are you taking his poor driving habits so personally?

over9five

Staff member
You are not his trainer, you are his helper. Help with delivering and route knowledge, don't say anything about his driving unless you actually feel scared to be in the truck with him. Why are you taking his poor driving habits so personally?
I agree with this. OP, you are not management. Do your job, bring the package to the door.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Just become one of those “annoying” helpers we all love
Face down looking at your phone all the time
Take your sweet time taking your seatbelt off and getting out of the truck
Dance around with the box in your hand as if you can’t find which house you’re supposed to go to
Walk slow, super slow on dry pavement
Then go into a full on reckless sprint into wet slippery grass
Eat snacks throughout the day, disrupting the flow of work
Blast obnoxious pop country music on your phone
You know what to do

quad decade guy

Because he doesn't want to die! OMG! This "new" driver is ripe for an accident. Your grasp of reality is at least obtuse and inane. I think the op is "scared" whatever that means. Yes. Don't say anything. Keep quiet and let him kill someone....FFS.

DriverNerd

Because he doesn't want to die! OMG! This "new" driver is ripe for an accident. Your grasp of reality is at least obtuse and inane. I think the op is "scared" whatever that means. Yes. Don't say anything. Keep quiet and let him kill someone....FFS.
Wow, I can't believe one of your responses was so over the top. That's a first...

If he is afraid for his safety then he should have told management by now, not continue to ride with the guy. If it just bothers him because it isn't up to UPS/his standards, then he needs to sit there, deal with it, and do his job.

quad decade guy

Did you even read the post I was replying to?

"don't say anything about his driving unless you actually feel scared to be in the truck with him."
Sure did. With all respect. I hope you realize that most accidents/injuries/fatalities are an unbroken chain of events. Certain habits/mannerisms. Even cultures. Attitudes. A trail of bread crumbs if you will.

quad decade guy

Wow, I can't believe one of your responses was so over the top. That's a first...

If he is afraid for his safety then he should have told management by now, not continue to ride with the guy. If it just bothers him because it isn't up to UPS/his standards, then he needs to sit there, deal with it, and do his job.
Ok. I don't think the OP is talking about wrinkled uniforms. An out of sorts driver(one that is not very good/efficient etc. at the job) gets behind, takes shortcuts, speeds and takes chances. These bad habits lead to accidents and a lot more. A 10 year driver realizes this. He is also at the whim of this driver. In my opinion, you don't have to just sit there and TAKE IT.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Hold up there cowboy
So how’d you lose your license dui ?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

C61DF465-5FFA-48B7-A3CB-EC5A3C8FB1DC.gif