What's a Pt cover driver

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Where I'm at it's a little sketchy...if you get hired on as a FT driver, you're a cover driver until you get a bid route. But more often than not, you get laid off. And if you're laid off, you're laid off. Can't go back into the building. Then, there are Utility drivers. They're PTers that are Saturday qualified or just plain ol' qualified and drive and the Utility rate...currently 24.60 an hour. No 9.5 rights. OT after 8...unless you start your day pt and then go utility driving, then it's OT after 5. I use to do this all the time when I was on preload.

Where I'm at it's a little sketchy...if you get hired on as a FT driver, you're a cover driver until you get a bid route. But more often than not, you get laid off. And if you're laid off, you're laid off. Can't go back into the building. Then, there are Utility drivers. They're PTers that are Saturday qualified or just plain ol' qualified and drive and the Utility rate...currently 24.60 an hour. No 9.5 rights. OT after 8...unless you start your day pt and then go utility driving, then it's OT after 5. I use to do this all the time when I was on preload.
What if you are a cover driver, and you bid a route and stay on for a couple of years and then bid off to split do you stay Ft.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I think we're getting our terms mixed. It may be a regional difference. If you're a FT cover driver, the days you work are determined by volume and seniority. Mondays are slow for us so there's always heavy layoffs. There are some low seniority drivers that have bid routes. They have them because those routes suck and are back breakers. However, it is seniority rules. If there's no work, you could be bumped out of your route by a higher seniority cover driver. I know it seems sketchy, but union is seniority rules. And yes, if you bid off to be a cover driver, you stay fulltime.

I think we're getting our terms mixed. It may be a regional difference. If you're a FT cover driver, the days you work are determined by volume and seniority. Mondays are slow for us so there's always heavy layoffs. There are some low seniority drivers that have bid routes. They have them because those routes suck and are back breakers. However, it is seniority rules. If there's no work, you could be bumped out of your route by a higher seniority cover driver. I know it seems sketchy, but union is seniority rules. And yes, if you bid off to be a cover driver, you stay fulltime.
My local is the same.But I'm asking about Pt time cover drivers.