What's the best part about working for UPS and the worst part about working for UPS?

satellitedriver

Best, it was a job.
Worst, it was a job.
Drove 27.5 yrs with no power steering, no automatic transmission and sitting on a stadium seat.
Last year of work I had power steering, automatic tranny and a comfortable supporting seat.
Felt like driving my old 1986 Fleetwood Cadillac.
Knees are good, elbows are good, but my back has issues.
Can not totally blame the job for my back.
Ruptured/ destroyed my L5 vertebra in the mine in 1984.
Surgery fixed it so I could walk again.
More age related, than the job at UPS.

quad decade guy

Best is wages and benefits. And nearly unlimited job security....

Worst.....lack of opportunity. Not being able to transfer. This includes bidding on other classifications such as automotive, airline and PE.

Not having super seniority. Going to the bottom of a new classification is soul crushing. And is bizarre.

Mgt vs hourly. Nasty, punitive hate on both sides. I've never understood this. And just makes things that much harder.

UPS in general. It could be so much better.

Though, I'm proud of my accomplishments.....UPS could care less. This is so odd. Any recognition rings hollow.

The recent loss of pride with the new CEO has been very depressing. Seeing it down through Mgt. is new and disturbing.

UPS has a certain way of managing. They promote folks who can in my opinion, be that way. Some of these traits can be dishonest, hypocritical and even illegal. The pressure and punitive nature starts at the top and filters down. With each level working under threat of termination. A sorry way to work. Imagine what we could do in a positive culture. It's always baffled me how folks that have been hourly and subjected to such punitive negativity....turn right around and continue the practice.....as if going to the Dark Side....

The thing I hated the MOST......busting your butt all day long.....and basically being called a liar and thief for laying down on em.
Especially by folks who've never done the job......or couldn't do it to save their own lives. In a job that requires quick thinking, loads of physicality and effort. I took pride in my service to customers....knowing THEY were why we had jobs.....

quad decade guy

Best, it was a job.
Worst, it was a job.
Drove 27.5 yrs with no power steering, no automatic transmission and sitting on a stadium seat.
Last year of work I had power steering, automatic tranny and a comfortable supporting seat.
Felt like driving my old 1986 Fleetwood Cadillac.
Knees are good, elbows are good, but my back has issues.
Can not totally blame the job for my back.
Ruptured/ destroyed my L5 vertebra in the mine in 1984.
Surgery fixed it so I could walk again.
More age related, than the job at UPS.
A Cadillac....really?

And your back.....that's on you. Seems dishonest to even mention it. With all respect....

satellitedriver

A Cadillac....really?

And your back.....that's on you. Seems dishonest to even mention it. With all respect....
Why is honesty dishonest?
Yes Sherlock, my back goes along with me everywhere I go.
The thread mentioned the wear on tear on a drivers body that is why I honestly mentioned it.
Bought a pristine one owner classic 1986 Fleetwood Brougham with 70,000.00 miles on the clock for $4,000.00 in 1993.
In the glove box were the original purchase papers and maintenance records. The original selling price was $28,000., in1980's money. Hell of a deprecation.
Replaced the engine at 250,000 miles and drove it for another 250,000 miles.
I gave it to a friend that is a car collector and it is now totally restored and in his large car collection.
With all due respect, yes really.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
As it relates to your job and in your opinion of course.

Best: you can work as many hours as you want

Worst: micromanagers

No wrong answers!
Best: If you're lucky enough to be covered under the Western Conference, its the benefits. Especially the lifetime medical plan. The pay and vacation is great as the years pile up.

Worst: Management. To most of them you rank somewhere between a handcart and a small sort bag. They'll lie, cheat, steal, intimidate and harass daily. They'll take a run at you periodically. Especially as your seniority builds up...in an attempt to terminate you and lower the center's labor costs.

Hard work and integrity means nothing to management. Your lack or injuries or accidents and a high daily sporh don't either.
You can be the absolute fastest, safest driver by their standards but you're just an highly overpaid bum in their eyes. Just do your best, never get involved in any company garbage...punch in, punch out and take care of your customers and your body.

If you're lucky, you can reach retirement, have all the body's damage repaired and get the heck out.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Best: If you're lucky enough to be covered under the Western Conference, its the benefits. Especially the lifetime medical plan. The pay and vacation is great as the years pile up.

Worst: Management. To most of them you rank somewhere between a handcart and a small sort bag. They'll lie, cheat, steal, intimidate and harass daily. They'll take a run at you periodically. Especially as your seniority builds up...in an attempt to terminate you and lower the center's labor costs.

Hard work and integrity means nothing to management. Your lack or injuries or accidents and a high daily sporh don't either.
You can be the absolute fastest, safest driver by their standards but you're just an highly overpaid bum in their eyes. Just do your best, never get involved in any company garbage...punch in, punch out and take care of your customers and your body.

If you're lucky, you can reach retirement, have all the body's damage repaired and get the heck out.
They will make a run at senior drivers, I’ve seen it, especially the seemingly compliant ones. They don’t usually mess with the ones that will fight back. :censored2:ers!

Captain Qwark

"I don't deserve these bulbous buttocks."

Your reply best aligns with how I felt working at UPS. The sooner you realize and accept that they don't care about you, that you're easily replaced and that they want you to quit the better off you'll be. And you're right about seniority. They want you to quit so you don't get your pension.

They didn't win though. I got mine.

I started as a PT hub employee and ended as a FT administrative employee.

As a hub employee I enjoyed working at UPS. I made alot of good friends while working there and despite management's reputation for being strong-armed, it was a fairly social work environment. I did everything from loading, unloading, sorting and carwash and most everyone was pleasant to work with. I worked 20-25 hours per week for the evening reload/twilight shift while I went to college during the day. There were many others doing the same thing. The pay was good at the time: at least double whatever minimum wage was. Plus good benefits and omg the christmas turkey. I often think back to the time I worked as a part-timer and actually kinda miss it sometimes.

After a few years I became FT administrative employee working in the district hub and other buildings around the district. With this job I got a different view of UPS. Many overworked, stressed-out FT sups and managers. Some egotistical and unrealistic division managers that looked down on those below them. Lots of lifers whose UPS experience didn't matter much outside of UPS. One of the things that always baffled me is how extremely efficient UPS is at delivering packages and managing their hourlies but how extremely inefficient UPS is at managing their managers (referring to the hours that management is expected to work). I knew FT sups and managers that worked 50-60 hour weeks and there was nothing they could do to change that no matter how well they did their job. During peak it was 60-70 hours. I told myself that would never be me. I was encouraged to go through the promotion process (can't remember the specific name of it) and I was in what they call the management candidate pool. I had a few interviews and my own manager told me to say whetever the interviewer wanted to hear, which didn't make sense to me. I didn't want to sell my soul to UPS, so I definitely threw an interview or two. Aside from alot of negativity that I noticed in some of the district management, I did get to travel a bit. Mostly around the district and to Atlanta a few times. Got to play around with alot of new UPS technologies (all the new wireless stuff at the time). As a FT administrative employee you definitely hit a ceiling if you don't plan to move into management, which I didn't plan to do. So at that point decided it was time to move on.