What's the best way to let my driver's management know he's awesome?

kene1024

I've been a lurker here for many years, and it's interesting to learn about the various challenges faced by drivers (particularly the local "package car" drivers, though I'm sure feeder drivers probably have their own stressful parts of the job too).

First, a little background about my situation.

I'm a residential customer, but because I telecommute full time, and do the vast majority of my shopping on Amazon.com, I receive deliveries at least two or three days a week (and some weeks I get deliveries every day - Amazon uses a local courier for Sunday deliveries). I live in a highly populated area, a suburb just a couple miles north of Chicago, serviced by the UPS Northbrook, IL center - at least that's the place listed when packages are "out for delivery").

When I am able to specify a carrier, I always choose UPS (for reasons I'll explain in a minute). My employer knows that I prefer UPS, so that's how they ship things to me. At one point, Amazon seemed to use UPS almost exclusively. However recently, I think within the last 9 months or a year, Amazon started using a variety of delivery services (UPS, Fedex Express & Ground, USPS, and others, like one called A1 International). I'm not sure why they did this. My suspicion is that (in addition to cost) they choose based on which distribution center the order ships from, and which day delivery is scheduled. I am slowly trying to figure out when to order, and what delivery speed I want, so that the majority of my stuff from them ends up being delivered by UPS.

My reason for preferring UPS is because my route driver is outstanding. I have a sign on my front door that asks for all deliveries to be made to my side door, because it's much easier for me to open that door. While some of the other services occasionally respect the instructions and deliver where I ask, it is only the UPS driver who consistently delivers to the side door. Also, he always places the package(s) where they can be grabbed simply by opening the door and reaching outside. This is very helpful since often I don't dress fully or put on shoes when I'm home working. The other delivery guys make me have to get fully dressed, put on shoes, and in the worst cases walk around to the other door, which really sucks when it's raining or snowing. For some reason (policy?) the postal service says they will only deliver where the mailbox is located. I've lost a few packages they have "delivered". As you might imagine, the USPS is at the very bottom of my preferred delivery service list. It's tolerable if they lose a letter from Grandma, but not my $50 computer accessory.

So, after that long-winded set up, here's my question to all you UPS'ers. What's the best way to communicate my extreme satisfaction with my driver's job performance to his supervisor(s) and/or center manager? Ideally I would like to do it in a written form, since that's something tangible that can be passed around (up the chain?) to be sure the right people know this guy is doing a great job.

Second, do written compliments like that carry any weight with the bosses, and do they generate any kind of positive recognition? Not knowing the UPS culture, I'm not sure if things like this are of any benefit. For what it's worth, I have personally told the driver how much I appreciate his work also.

Thanks for any insight you can provide, and I apologize for being so verbose.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Turdferguson

Sometimes the driver hears about complements customers give from management. The best way to do it would be to write a letter to corporate in Atlanta. Who you would address it to I do not know, but any that we hear about here originated from Atlanta. Another would be to contact the UPS Facebook team ,and they would start the process rolling, but Atlanta would be your best bet.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Most likely a driver will never find out that a customer has called in a compliment (not part of the UPS culture).

Sometimes those calls can actually get the driver in trouble, say for example if he is doing more than the company deems necessary (wasted time).

When customers have asked me who do I call, my reply is that your thanks directly to me is more than enough.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Take care of the driver directly. In the summer months, a bottle of cold water goes a long way. Around Christmas, some cookies or other goodies are appreciated. The previous two posters are correct. I know of at least two drivers that have been disciplined for "over servicing" the customer.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

1-800-742-5877 Press "0" until you reach a live person. Tell that person you wish to submit a complimentary concern. It will be forwarded to the center who will then pass it on to the driver.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

..... maybe in the BOG, not here

I am getting really tired of these BOG references.

We all have the same damn toll free number and every center management team is supposed to follow the same damn procedures. If a customer calls in a complimentary concern it is supposed to be passed along to the driver; in fact, you would think with all of the non-complimentary concerns that come in mgt would want to make sure to acknowledge the complimentary ones.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer

We all have the same damn toll free number and every center management team is supposed to follow the same damn procedures. If a customer calls in a complimentary concern it is supposed to be passed along to the driver; in fact, you would think with all of the non-complimentary concerns that come in mgt would want to make sure to acknowledge the complimentary ones.
I wish I worked in your center. It reminds me of the way UPS should be. In my center they throw compliments around like man hole covers. We never hear customer compliments from our management team but only complaints. In our center the management team is so busy putting out fires they will only act on the negative. I call your center the BOG because it is a small bubble of what should be not what is.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n

It's because down here in the real world where everyone doesn't throw plastic bottles in the recycle bin, our management team, along with drivers, are overworked and DGAF anymore about the details. When someone gives an example about something wrong in their center, your usual retort is an example of how it should be and is in your center, as if your center has no issues, barring ORION, in which case you admit is FUBAR.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
OP, just thank the driver yourself if you see him. A kind word, perhaps a small gift if you so choose means the world to people like us.

Don't waste your time calling or writing anyone because the driver will absolutely not get the message.

Company management absolutely detests the rank and file employees. It's been this way for a long time and it's not going to change any time soon.

Thank you for stopping by.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

OP, just thank the driver yourself if you see him. A kind word, perhaps a small gift if you so choose means the world to people like us.

Don't waste your time calling or writing anyone because the driver will absolutely not get the message.

Company management absolutely detests the rank and file employees. It's been this way for a long time and it's not going to change any time soon.

Thank you for stopping by.

Strongly disagree.

TG43

I would write a letter and bring it in to the center manager or mail it if you don't have time.

At my center they read these letters during the pcm. They make a positive example of the driver. They usually give them a hat or something then post the letter on a board.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I've been a lurker here for many years, and it's interesting to learn about the various challenges faced by drivers (particularly the local "package car" drivers, though I'm sure feeder drivers probably have their own stressful parts of the job too).

First, a little background about my situation.

I'm a residential customer, but because I telecommute full time, and do the vast majority of my shopping on Amazon.com, I receive deliveries at least two or three days a week (and some weeks I get deliveries every day - Amazon uses a local courier for Sunday deliveries). I live in a highly populated area, a suburb just a couple miles north of Chicago, serviced by the UPS Northbrook, IL center - at least that's the place listed when packages are "out for delivery").

When I am able to specify a carrier, I always choose UPS (for reasons I'll explain in a minute). My employer knows that I prefer UPS, so that's how they ship things to me. At one point, Amazon seemed to use UPS almost exclusively. However recently, I think within the last 9 months or a year, Amazon started using a variety of delivery services (UPS, Fedex Express & Ground, USPS, and others, like one called A1 International). I'm not sure why they did this. My suspicion is that (in addition to cost) they choose based on which distribution center the order ships from, and which day delivery is scheduled. I am slowly trying to figure out when to order, and what delivery speed I want, so that the majority of my stuff from them ends up being delivered by UPS.

My reason for preferring UPS is because my route driver is outstanding. I have a sign on my front door that asks for all deliveries to be made to my side door, because it's much easier for me to open that door. While some of the other services occasionally respect the instructions and deliver where I ask, it is only the UPS driver who consistently delivers to the side door. Also, he always places the package(s) where they can be grabbed simply by opening the door and reaching outside. This is very helpful since often I don't dress fully or put on shoes when I'm home working. The other delivery guys make me have to get fully dressed, put on shoes, and in the worst cases walk around to the other door, which really sucks when it's raining or snowing. For some reason (policy?) the postal service says they will only deliver where the mailbox is located. I've lost a few packages they have "delivered". As you might imagine, the USPS is at the very bottom of my preferred delivery service list. It's tolerable if they lose a letter from Grandma, but not my $50 computer accessory.

So, after that long-winded set up, here's my question to all you UPS'ers. What's the best way to communicate my extreme satisfaction with my driver's job performance to his supervisor(s) and/or center manager? Ideally I would like to do it in a written form, since that's something tangible that can be passed around (up the chain?) to be sure the right people know this guy is doing a great job.

Second, do written compliments like that carry any weight with the bosses, and do they generate any kind of positive recognition? Not knowing the UPS culture, I'm not sure if things like this are of any benefit. For what it's worth, I have personally told the driver how much I appreciate his work also.

Thanks for any insight you can provide, and I apologize for being so verbose.

Ken Erickson
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1434544981.475428.jpg

BrownTexas

I would say, a token of your appreciation to the driver directly is best. Compliments sent into management have no purpose. He doesn't get a raise for being a great driver, we all make the same. Management doesn't treat him better because he is a great driver, they try to fire us every chance they get.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
There are times that you don't want any public recognition.
Many years ago, I was delivering near a resort location. People float the river for about a 10 mile stretch.
On this particular day there were very bad thunderstorms. Sheet rain, lightning and thunder everywhere.
I was delivering to one of the cabins along the river. I had just stepped back into the Sprinter when I am startled by a knock on the passenger window.
A woman with 3 kids had been floating the river and got caught in the storm. She asked if she could get a ride back to the main road.
Knowing UPS policy about passengers, I hesitated though I was not going to strand these people out in the storm. I gave them a ride, turning the heater on full blast to warm them.
She went on and on about how she was going to make sure that those at UPS were going to know how considerate I had been.
I finally had to explain the reasons that she should not do that.
We let it go at that