What's the best way to let my driver's management know he's awesome?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Tell the driver he has nice legs in the summer
Months. Give him a water or Gatorade. In He winter offer his m a warm cup of coffee and tell him you appreciate how he works out in the cold.

Not applicable to you gay guys, sorry. Hit up FedEx.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I've been a lurker here for many years, and it's interesting to learn about the various challenges faced by drivers (particularly the local "package car" drivers, though I'm sure feeder drivers probably have their own stressful parts of the job too).

First, a little background about my situation.

I'm a residential customer, but because I telecommute full time, and do the vast majority of my shopping on Amazon.com, I receive deliveries at least two or three days a week (and some weeks I get deliveries every day - Amazon uses a local courier for Sunday deliveries). I live in a highly populated area, a suburb just a couple miles north of Chicago, serviced by the UPS Northbrook, IL center - at least that's the place listed when packages are "out for delivery").

When I am able to specify a carrier, I always choose UPS (for reasons I'll explain in a minute). My employer knows that I prefer UPS, so that's how they ship things to me. At one point, Amazon seemed to use UPS almost exclusively. However recently, I think within the last 9 months or a year, Amazon started using a variety of delivery services (UPS, Fedex Express & Ground, USPS, and others, like one called A1 International). I'm not sure why they did this. My suspicion is that (in addition to cost) they choose based on which distribution center the order ships from, and which day delivery is scheduled. I am slowly trying to figure out when to order, and what delivery speed I want, so that the majority of my stuff from them ends up being delivered by UPS.

My reason for preferring UPS is because my route driver is outstanding. I have a sign on my front door that asks for all deliveries to be made to my side door, because it's much easier for me to open that door. While some of the other services occasionally respect the instructions and deliver where I ask, it is only the UPS driver who consistently delivers to the side door. Also, he always places the package(s) where they can be grabbed simply by opening the door and reaching outside. This is very helpful since often I don't dress fully or put on shoes when I'm home working. The other delivery guys make me have to get fully dressed, put on shoes, and in the worst cases walk around to the other door, which really sucks when it's raining or snowing. For some reason (policy?) the postal service says they will only deliver where the mailbox is located. I've lost a few packages they have "delivered". As you might imagine, the USPS is at the very bottom of my preferred delivery service list. It's tolerable if they lose a letter from Grandma, but not my $50 computer accessory.

So, after that long-winded set up, here's my question to all you UPS'ers. What's the best way to communicate my extreme satisfaction with my driver's job performance to his supervisor(s) and/or center manager? Ideally I would like to do it in a written form, since that's something tangible that can be passed around (up the chain?) to be sure the right people know this guy is doing a great job.

Second, do written compliments like that carry any weight with the bosses, and do they generate any kind of positive recognition? Not knowing the UPS culture, I'm not sure if things like this are of any benefit. For what it's worth, I have personally told the driver how much I appreciate his work also.

Thanks for any insight you can provide, and I apologize for being so verbose.

Ken Erickson
Complimentary letters are useless, they wont get the said employee any recognition or praise from the company. In my center they simply print them up and put them in our pouch (a folder of sorts that gets filled every morning with various paperwork, such as call tags, complaints, etc). I would say a thank you and a handshake is good, but a card with some money on top of that is even better

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
That was way too long to read but as far as how to make it known that your driver is great, just take care of him at Christmas. This is a union job so it doesnt matter if management thinks hes doing a good job or not.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I've been a lurker here for many years, and it's interesting to learn about the various challenges faced by drivers (particularly the local "package car" drivers, though I'm sure feeder drivers probably have their own stressful parts of the job too).

First, a little background about my situation.

I'm a residential customer, but because I telecommute full time, and do the vast majority of my shopping on Amazon.com, I receive deliveries at least two or three days a week (and some weeks I get deliveries every day - Amazon uses a local courier for Sunday deliveries). I live in a highly populated area, a suburb just a couple miles north of Chicago, serviced by the UPS Northbrook, IL center - at least that's the place listed when packages are "out for delivery").

When I am able to specify a carrier, I always choose UPS (for reasons I'll explain in a minute). My employer knows that I prefer UPS, so that's how they ship things to me. At one point, Amazon seemed to use UPS almost exclusively. However recently, I think within the last 9 months or a year, Amazon started using a variety of delivery services (UPS, Fedex Express & Ground, USPS, and others, like one called A1 International). I'm not sure why they did this. My suspicion is that (in addition to cost) they choose based on which distribution center the order ships from, and which day delivery is scheduled. I am slowly trying to figure out when to order, and what delivery speed I want, so that the majority of my stuff from them ends up being delivered by UPS.

My reason for preferring UPS is because my route driver is outstanding. I have a sign on my front door that asks for all deliveries to be made to my side door, because it's much easier for me to open that door. While some of the other services occasionally respect the instructions and deliver where I ask, it is only the UPS driver who consistently delivers to the side door. Also, he always places the package(s) where they can be grabbed simply by opening the door and reaching outside. This is very helpful since often I don't dress fully or put on shoes when I'm home working. The other delivery guys make me have to get fully dressed, put on shoes, and in the worst cases walk around to the other door, which really sucks when it's raining or snowing. For some reason (policy?) the postal service says they will only deliver where the mailbox is located. I've lost a few packages they have "delivered". As you might imagine, the USPS is at the very bottom of my preferred delivery service list. It's tolerable if they lose a letter from Grandma, but not my $50 computer accessory.

So, after that long-winded set up, here's my question to all you UPS'ers. What's the best way to communicate my extreme satisfaction with my driver's job performance to his supervisor(s) and/or center manager? Ideally I would like to do it in a written form, since that's something tangible that can be passed around (up the chain?) to be sure the right people know this guy is doing a great job.

Second, do written compliments like that carry any weight with the bosses, and do they generate any kind of positive recognition? Not knowing the UPS culture, I'm not sure if things like this are of any benefit. For what it's worth, I have personally told the driver how much I appreciate his work also.

Thanks for any insight you can provide, and I apologize for being so verbose.

Your driver goes out of his way, because thats the nature of the UPS driver. The drivers are the last line of concerned employees still trying to provide "service" to the customers.

The company as a whole, on the other hand, is eliminating service and making it harder to satisfy customers on deliveries.

The only recognition that is really required, is to acknowledge your driver, appreciate that he is "going out of his way" to provide you with service that really no longer exists at the delivery level. Make sure "he/she" knows that you appreciate the effort and energy he/she puts forth to make your delivery experience better.

You have to understand, we as drivers only get a small fraction of sections to make each delivery, and now we even less time to find a package in the truck, which has been reduced to 18 seconds.

All this considered, the only ears that need to be commended would be that of your driver.

Anything else and you are talking to face without ears. The supervision of UPS could care less about compliments despite its surface acceptance.

TOS.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Best way is probably to tell the driver unfortunately. If you ever see a supervisor that works too. My driver who delivers to my apartment complex is a very nice guy. When I moved in I was chit chatting with the lady at the front desk and she asked where I work I told her UPS. She said "Our driver ***** is outstanding. Incredibly nice and helpful every single day." I made sure every management person in the center knew it. That's how you motivate employees. Show them the results of their hard work.

box_beeyotch

I actually have to agree with Upstate and Frigid for once, while they do address concerns, they also recognize compliments especially as a cover driver. Occasionally they are read aloud at our PCM.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
You bare a striking resemblance to AdCorrector.
1010101010.gif.gif