whats the most hours you have worked in a week? biggest check?

ibleedbrown

just wondering whats the most hours anyone has ever worked at ups in a 5 day work week, and what was the biggest check you have gotten working for ups? i have heard stories of part-timers working 40+ hours, are there restrictions barring full timers from working more than 60 hours in a week? how about those of you that have worked 6 days in a week. i'm sure taxes really take a toll on take home pay, especially w double overtime.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
just wondering whats the most hours anyone has ever worked at ups in a 5 day work week, and what was the biggest check you have gotten working for ups? i have heard stories of part-timers working 40+ hours, are there restrictions barring full timers from working more than 60 hours in a week? how about those of you that have worked 6 days in a week. i'm sure taxes really take a toll on take home pay, especially w double overtime.

There are DOT-mandated restrictions for drivers - they must be pulled off the road if they hit 14 hours in one day or 60 hours in one week.

I pulled 53 or so hours in a week a few years ago, pulling noonday-twilight-midnight triples at least two days and noonday on Sunday with a twilight minisort; mostly in the outbound loading trucks. It was terrible, but it was either that or go from living on someone's couch to actually being homeless. That Thursday, I was in the hub from 10:30 AM one morning until 3:30 AM the next day. Yes, pulling triples is a contract violation but you gotta do what you gotta do. The old school guys used to do it throughout the year in the mid-1990's.

I think I grossed right around $830 - I was making $13.20 an hour or so.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
59.75 last year. Wanted me to come in on Christmas Eve with 15 minutes available to work lol. Check was over 2k not sure exactly how much. That's before taxes of course.

Mr Shifter

I hit around 67 hrs one year shifting on the property DOT restrictions didnt apply to me at the time because I wasn't allowed off the property onto public roads. I would of broken 75 but I went home early because I had gotten sick the last day and couldnt drive safely anymore. I was making around $10.50 at the time.

ups hero

As a 12 year part timer, during Xmas it's not unusual that I work over 60 hours. On Sundays, nobody wants to come in on preload. The few that do show up get close to 17 hrs. It's very crazy and frustrating. However, when I see the check I forget all about the headaches. At least for a day . Lol

Mr Shifter

59.75 last year. Wanted me to come in on Christmas Eve with 15 minutes available to work lol. Check was over 2k not sure exactly how much. That's before taxes of course.

Maybe they would of had you has jumper for a rookie driver? You're allowed to work over 60 as long as you don't drive. Still I would of had them beg me thou :)

I hit 58 hours once. I won't work over twelve hours anymore on any given day. That way, I don't have to worry about the 60 hour limit. There have been a handful of times when I had missed pieces and punched out at the twelve hour mark, but I had told them that when sending in the stats, so I was covered.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Early in my career (late 1990s/early 2000s, when I was in my late teens / early twenties) I regularly worked over 100 hours for 3-4 weeks during peak. I'd work Preload, go out with the driver all day as a helper (they allowed this), clean up & sleep in the conference room for about 3-3.5 hours (a couple times each week I'd shower at a gym I belonged to, which was 5-minutes away). My boss was real cool with this, and they'd give us the hours as long as we remained productive. Later, Preload hours started decreasing and they no longer let us leave with the driver but I'd pull doubles on nights to stay at 80-90. Then they capped PT hours at 12 each day, and would fire us if we went over such. They removed that restriction a few years ago, and I got over 80 hours 3/4 weeks during peak this past year (70 the other).

cino321

63.3 last peak. Worked 6 days, and was chauffeured around by my on car the 6th day because I would of went over DOT hours.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Hard to believe when every Center in the Country has drivers working until 9 or later every night according to the postings on the BC. I punched out at 8 tonight. 8:50 start time, barely 10.5 hours.

AKCoverMan

One Friday night late in peak a couple of years ago I had been delivering a rural area.. it was tire chain weather and territory but I would need to remove them to take the highway back to the city and the center. I was less than 1/10 mile to the parking lot where I was going to unchain when the left tire chain decided to try to remove itself. If only it had succeeded! Instead it tore a piece of the wheel well so that metal was rubbing on the tire and the chain wrapped up on the axle.

I had about an hour and fifteen minutes to be in and off the clock under 60 for the week.. but the nearest available tow that we had a contract with had to come from the city so I sat and waited for almost two hours, then rode back with the tow truck. Ended up with almost 62 hours that week. No DOT violation of course since I did not drive after sixty. Easy money!

Accounting for pay rate at the time my biggest checks were back in package car during retail peak where I saw planned days in the 12-13-14 hr range for a month. In the modern era and having to actually work the paid hours versus bonus then this past peak I hit a 68 hr week in 6 days.