whats the pros and cons of being in the union

brostalss

Pro: Do the minimum they can't fire you.

Con: work your tail off and go above and beyond ……… you get the same treatment as the guy doing the minimum.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
^tada

Unions accept mediocrity.
Yes, only at union jobs do people try to do as little as possible.
giphy (15).gif

textat3

Make 100K+ delivering diapers, 6 weeks vacation, 5 sick, 5 personal, 8 holidays all paid, vacation paid at 45 hrs per week, pension, great health benefits, overtime over 8 per day, seniority rules!!

Superteeth2478

^tada

Unions accept mediocrity.
Unions have a good reason to accept mediocrity. Mediocre workers means you need more workers to get the job done. More workers means more dues.

That said, first off, there are TONS of mediocre workers in all workplaces, unionized and non-unionized. Second off, the vast majority of white collar workers really don't do very much productive work besides shuffling papers all day. Most of their time is spent chit-chatting around the cooler, :censored2:ing around on Facebook, and trying to look busy at their desk. I've always said that even the laziest workers at my hub are still doing more productive work in the 4-5 hours they work than salaried office workers do the whole week.

Finally, I've met some of the hardest workers I've seen in my life at UPS. It speaks great volumes of their character if they choose to work hard at a manual labor job in which they know they could get away with less. And yes, they're part of the union as well.

Days

Pro: Do the minimum they can't fire you.

Con: work your tail off and go above and beyond ……… you get the same treatment as the guy doing the minimum.

The downfall honestly! The Pro can give you a bit of a safety net feeling but the con makes you feel like a number and not valued.

I think there has to be a better way tbh.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
The union is your insurance policy for not getting fired for non cardinal offenses, also they help negotiate pay and insurance coverage for all employees. Cons I will not get into if you would like PM me and I will get into specifics.

Heavy Package

We get paid well for what we do. Great benefits. Seniority. I've been an office jockey for 15 yrs before UPS and would rather have the Union have my back.

FYI-Something to think about when you are mindlessly delivering your resi's this afternoon....How has the middle class been in the US since union membership has dwindled since the 1980's / 1990's? How do you think the next wave of retirees will do when they realize there is no pension to supplement their SS check and / or 401k?