What's this?

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
I'm talking about truck specific scans to catch drivers taking misloads for a ride.

Yeah that's going on in our building right now. As a matter of fact, I am on the 'most help needed' list, meaning my truck is one of the routes that has the most no scans per day. My problem with this system is, when another driver or drivers have misroutes that should be in your truck. If they don't scan those in then I get hit with DNEDs the next day. How is that fair?

Anyway, since I am on the list I have a check in audit every single day. Which is fine by me. I sit there with a huge smile while they inspect my truck and try to pick spots in my 350+ pieces of daily pickups to find hidden pkgs lol. Also, like Maninbrown said, they scan my car every morning to see if I'm not scanning pkgs. Which is also fine by me. Funny part is, they'll have a message on my seat in the morning telling me 'every package in your truck has been scanned'. Yet when I get to my car after PCM there's still 50 packages sitting on the slide that hasn't been loaded. I remember the first day asking my sup 'did they scan those too?'. Lol bunch of idiots.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
We've had these in the Roswell center since January. They are attached to front and back shelves. The technology was originally designed to have the labels with embedded tech to go off if the package enter the wrong vehicle. In true UPS style, they are half-assing it.

The current way they are used is each preloader has a set of cars, with a scanner attached to their belt. The preloader scans the barcode in your truck, assigning the scanner for that truck. If the scanner scans a package that doesn't belong to the truck, the scanner goes off. If the preloader enters a truck the scanner isn't assigned to, the scanner goes off.

The problem is now that preload is concerned with scans on packages and is judged as such. There's a report of the percentage of scans the preload does, and they chase those scans. So much so they have people that just go around, scan a pile of packages and walk away. The regular preloader then just loads as normal with a pile of packages or double scans them (doesn't hurt). This is of course the way to achieve a false positive, to keep the PPH up for the loaders. The system wasn't designed for that, but when you only care about numbers, that's what you get.

The Roswell preload since January has struggled with the demands of keeping up doing this scanning and maintaining YoY performance, unfortunately we have been floundering for the past 6 months with late leave building times due to preload not wrapping up. They are having preloader a doing another task while not increasing the workforce to accommodate the new task.

Used correctly I can see this tech being good, but it's not, and it isn't. Your preload and drivers will hate the day you go live with this.
Roswell is the test center for all new technology like this. Also, the Glen Burnie, MD center but not as much.
I therefore will have to go with what Jackie is saying versus @ManInBrown (MIB).
Plus what Jack is saying makes more common sense and UPS strategy than does MIB.
What MIB is purporting sounds like a local operator not using a system as designed.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Roswell is the test center for all new technology like this. Also, the Glen Burnie, MD center but not as much.
I therefore will have to go with what Jackie is saying versus @ManInBrown (MIB).
Plus what Jack is saying makes more common sense and UPS strategy than does MIB.
What MIB is purporting sounds like a local operator not using a system as designed.
Maninbrown is not talking about that system. He's talking about centers trying to find the source of DNEDs by scanning all the packages of problem cars in the morning.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Maninbrown is not talking about that system. He's talking about centers trying to find the source of DNEDs by scanning all the packages of problem cars in the morning.
That makes sense ... what he is explaining, not the process itself.
Operators can do some weird inefficient stuff sometimes.

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
Yeah that's going on in our building right now. As a matter of fact, I am on the 'most help needed' list, meaning my truck is one of the routes that has the most no scans per day. My problem with this system is, when another driver or drivers have misroutes that should be in your truck. If they don't scan those in then I get hit with DNEDs the next day. How is that fair?

Anyway, since I am on the list I have a check in audit every single day. Which is fine by me. I sit there with a huge smile while they inspect my truck and try to pick spots in my 350+ pieces of daily pickups to find hidden pkgs lol. Also, like Maninbrown said, they scan my car every morning to see if I'm not scanning pkgs. Which is also fine by me. Funny part is, they'll have a message on my seat in the morning telling me 'every package in your truck has been scanned'. Yet when I get to my car after PCM there's still 50 packages sitting on the slide that hasn't been loaded. I remember the first day asking my sup 'did they scan those too?'. Lol bunch of idiots.
Same thing happened to me...every day this month when I pull in a sup has to check my truck for no scans before I clock out...:censored2:s don't send in send misload texts so I get to waste ten minutes at the end of every shift

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I noticed two more of those devices in my car today. One in the middle of the 1000 Section and another on the right rear side. I still had a missort, and a PT Supervisor was loading my car when I stuck my lunchbox in my car.

Can we assume that you filed a grievance on the PT sup performing hourly work?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
That makes sense ... what he is explaining, not the process itself.
Operators can do some weird inefficient stuff sometimes.
here they have drivers on comp come in 4-9am, scan the more "rural" routes for misloads. Using the hand-held Motorola scanners from the late 1990's. Usually do 10 cars or so in that five hours. :D

BrownArmy

Wow, what a cluster.

This bull hasn't landed in my center, but here, loaders are loading between two and four trucks each.

So, add another layer of redundancy and have them re-scan every package before they load it?

Lulz, that will work.

The only way this could possibly function and not be a colossal waste of time is with RFID.

(Ok, off to start an RFID company and sell it to UPS for $1 GABILLION dollars...bbfn!)

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We go live with the new scanning system Monday. I'm glad I'm taking an Option Day. We have such an enormous turnover of part-timers it boggles my mind. It seems like I have a new Preloader every few days. Every day I see a tour of new hires in the building. The most secure job at UPS must be that of the Part Time HR Supervisor.

Last edited:

KOG72

I’m full of it
I would laugh my butt off if every time a pre loader walks in car with a Misload ,that it would shock them like a dog collar.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Been live with these scanners for a month now. Past two weeks, not one misload. Is it possible a new technology works and does what it's supposed to?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Been live with these scanners for a month now. Past two weeks, not one misload. Is it possible a new technology works and does what it's supposed to?

Just give it time, the missloads will return. The PT Preload supes will soon return to throwing boxes into the wrong trucks to clean the belt off just before the drivers start.

Undertow82

I haven't seen it in action yet, I usually show up right at start time. I'll try to find out more tomorrow if I can.

So maybe in the future, on top of my 4 PC's I load every morning with 3-400 packages, I might have to scan every damn box? I mean I guess I can just shoot another arm out of my anus to scan. I'm super excited........