What's wrong...

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Ahhhh...here we go with the Tattoos again. Like its 1957 and tattoos are only for bikers and beatniks. I've got tattoos. Visible. As do most of my customers. Id have even more if I could afford them on my wages. Get over yourselves.

It's not the tattoo's themselves that are the problem per se, it is the fact that when a lot of Express folks started, we were told that if you have ink that can not be reasonably covered, you were out as far as being any kind of customer contact employee for FedEx Express. A courier was expected to be clean cut, no beards, no ink, hair no longer than your collar (for the guys). You were expected to be a consummate professional. Now it's completely different, and those changes started right around the time that Ground started growing....coincidence?

bbsam

Staff member
Tats are far more acceptable now. Many are cool, some downright sexy. It's a different time and bravo for the company pushing aside stereotypical idiocy.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Tats are far more acceptable now. Many are cool, some downright sexy. It's a different time and bravo for the company pushing aside stereotypical idiocy.

It may be a different time but there is still a perception about people with tattoos. Tattoos and a customer service job do not go together.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Personally, I could care less if you have full sleeves, your whole body...heck tat up your face if you want, that's your business not mine. The downside is, just like it has been said, you will be judged by your cover, not what's inside, at least by most people. That's just the way of the world.

bbsam

Staff member
Personally, I could care less if you have full sleeves, your whole body...heck tat up your face if you want, that's your business not mine. The downside is, just like it has been said, you will be judged by your cover, not what's inside, at least by most people. That's just the way of the world.

I have a couple drivers with tats. Never have I had complaints about their appearance. Tats have become accepted. If I wasn't deathly afraid of needles, I would get a couple.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You guys don't get it. It becomes a subject of conversation. People dont find them repulsive or out of place in the least.

Perhaps not but you can't say that some people (me) do not form a negative perception of a tattoo-covered individual based solely on their appearance. They could be a Rhodes scholar for all I know but you show up at my door covered in tats I will lock the door.

Goldilocks

I have a couple drivers with tats. Never have I had complaints about their appearance. Tats have become accepted. If I wasn't deathly afraid of needles, I would get a couple.

I dont like them on an old man! They look great on a young thing....lol But never at work....

bbsam

Staff member
Perhaps not but you can't say that some people (me) do not form a negative perception of a tattoo-covered individual based solely on their appearance. They could be a Rhodes scholar for all I know but you show up at my door covered in tats I will lock the door.

Perhaps. Your choice, your loss.

bbsam

Staff member
Old man dis. I am sad.
I am 56. Sigh!! I guess I should just go away. (feeling sorry for myself)

Of course not. Just don't try to replicate today with your mind's eye vision of yesterday. You will only depress yourself.

texan

Of course not. Just don't try to replicate today with your mind's eye vision of yesterday. You will only depress yourself.

So true in a way....

I long for when times were simple to me.

Age 11,12,13 Work for a dollar. Weed gardens, mow lawns, shovel snow for a dollar an area to compete
for those who wanted 3 to 5 dollars to undercut them.

Age 14,15,16 Bus boy, dish washer, and many other base jobs to make a buck.

Simple songs on the radio, but then the Beetles, Cream, The Who, Stones, Blood Sweat and Tears,
and who was this Jimmy Hendrix person, and who what was Timothy Leary and his drug LSD?

President of the US, assassinated. JFK Why ? What? Who? 1964. What was Bay of Pigs?

Wondering all the time what is Vietnam? Why did so many in my neighbor hood die? Not many, but
I attended some half casket funerals as heros jumped on grenades to save their peers.

Why all the protest and spitting on Vets? Why?

Why the 68 Dem violent protest during the Dem Convention? I am only 12 trying to
digest this.

Walter Cronkite and his reports on TV of Nam. I had a draft card in 1973, will I go?

Nah they said it is over. Why did so many go to Canada? 17 year old brain in action. hmm

Race riots in Detroit over Martin Luther King. Who killed him? Why? A 12 year old brain trying to
understand.

Nixon his crime and resignation? What, why?

Jimmy Hendrix, LSD, Woodstock, Timothy Leary, huh? I was what, 13 at the time.

We pulled out of Nam and 58,000 lost their lives for what? But I was young and dumb.

Watts Riots? Huh why I was 9. Why what?

But as you ask, I will not replicate the past. It all has no meaning.

Bless you.

Necropostophiliac

So true in a way....

I long for when times were simple to me.

Age 11,12,13 Work for a dollar. Weed gardens, mow lawns, shovel snow for a dollar an area to compete
for those who wanted 3 to 5 dollars to undercut them.

Age 14,15,16 Bus boy, dish washer, and many other base jobs to make a buck.

Simple songs on the radio, but then the Beetles, Cream, The Who, Stones, Blood Sweat and Tears,
and who was this Jimmy Hendrix person, and who what was Timothy Leary and his drug LSD?

President of the US, assassinated. JFK Why ? What? Who? 1964. What was Bay of Pigs?

Wondering all the time what is Vietnam? Why did so many in my neighbor hood die? Not many, but
I attended some half casket funerals as heros jumped on grenades to save their peers.

Why all the protest and spitting on Vets? Why?

Why the 68 Dem violent protest during the Dem Convention? I am only 12 trying to
digest this.

Walter Cronkite and his reports on TV of Nam. I had a draft card in 1973, will I go?

Nah they said it is over. Why did so many go to Canada? 17 year old brain in action. hmm

Race riots in Detroit over Martin Luther King. Who killed him? Why? A 12 year old brain trying to
understand.

Nixon his crime and resignation? What, why?

Jimmy Hendrix, LSD, Woodstock, Timothy Leary, huh? I was what, 13 at the time.

We pulled out of Nam and 58,000 lost their lives for what? But I was young and dumb.

Watts Riots? Huh why I was 9. Why what?

But as you ask, I will not replicate the past. It all has no meaning.

Bless you.

You are starting to sound like Clint Eastwood.
Maybe all this defecation and contradictions made him as you are too in this post.

bbsam

Staff member
It is not that the past has no meaning. Only that it is gone save for its vast teaching value if we are its students and not its dictators.

SmithBarney

It's all good. My apologies as well. I pay just over 200 a month for health vision and dental for the family. It's not great but it helps.

Is that with Anthem or Cigna? I'm over $400/mo on the premium plan. a large chunk to take out of the paycheck every month.