What's wrong...

SmithBarney

I've seen some of the more anal retentive managers at my station send handlers home for shoes that were not black, or at the very least dark colored. These are folks who won't even be seen by customers...uniform uniformity is a big deal on our side. I've gotten crap for my white no-show socks before, but that's my little rebellion...:anxious:

PS you can wear white or black socks. if you have one of the STA with locker rooms, look for the "uniform" poster, it says so right on it, white or black.(no garters with shorts though ;) )

DS

Fenderbender
Old man dis. I am sad.
I am 56. Sigh!! I guess I should just go away. (feeling sorry for myself)
I'm 57 Texan,and I grew up much like you.Except for the draft.Don't go away,enjoy every day,
tomorrow may be your last one.Have you tried Fukitol? :wink2:

texan

I'm 57 Texan,and I grew up much like you.Except for the draft.Don't go away,enjoy every day,
tomorrow may be your last one.Have you tried Fukitol? :wink2:

No I am not depressed.

Just hate aging.

I do not have enough money for Joan Rivers treatments.

Just kidding with all to a point.

Goldilocks

So true in a way....

I long for when times were simple to me.

Age 11,12,13 Work for a dollar. Weed gardens, mow lawns, shovel snow for a dollar an area to compete
for those who wanted 3 to 5 dollars to undercut them.

Age 14,15,16 Bus boy, dish washer, and many other base jobs to make a buck.

Simple songs on the radio, but then the Beetles, Cream, The Who, Stones, Blood Sweat and Tears,
and who was this Jimmy Hendrix person, and who what was Timothy Leary and his drug LSD?

President of the US, assassinated. JFK Why ? What? Who? 1964. What was Bay of Pigs?

Wondering all the time what is Vietnam? Why did so many in my neighbor hood die? Not many, but
I attended some half casket funerals as heros jumped on grenades to save their peers.

Why all the protest and spitting on Vets? Why?

Why the 68 Dem violent protest during the Dem Convention? I am only 12 trying to
digest this.

Walter Cronkite and his reports on TV of Nam. I had a draft card in 1973, will I go?

Nah they said it is over. Why did so many go to Canada? 17 year old brain in action. hmm

Race riots in Detroit over Martin Luther King. Who killed him? Why? A 12 year old brain trying to
understand.

Nixon his crime and resignation? What, why?

Jimmy Hendrix, LSD, Woodstock, Timothy Leary, huh? I was what, 13 at the time.

We pulled out of Nam and 58,000 lost their lives for what? But I was young and dumb.

Watts Riots? Huh why I was 9. Why what?

But as you ask, I will not replicate the past. It all has no meaning.

Bless you.

BEAUTIFUL!!!

bbsam

Staff member
No I am not depressed.

Just hate aging.

I do not have enough money for Joan Rivers treatments.

Just kidding with all to a point.

Aging can be rough. At 44 I am having to realize more and more what no longer is.

We spend about 17 hours a week at the soccer practice fields and my spirit longs to run with the kids.

The body, however, cannot begin to play the way I remember playing.

Every night we have a routine after practice ends:

Practice ends.

Half the kids dutifully leave for home.

My three hooligans find some other straggling players, and the game goes on.

My wife and I call out to the three, "Time to go!"

They hear us but cannot respond. The game goes on.

Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

Take the balls. A game of tag erupts.

Laughter, parents making empty threats, another ball materializes.

The game goes on...and on...and on.

Finally, as daylight wanes and sweaty little athletes declare the unfairness of their little foes

and parents extol the virtues of good sportsmanship, we pile into the minivan and trek for home.

Quietly I lean over to my wife with a smile barely contained and repeat what I have said a hundred times:

Maddening as the ritual is, I absolutely love that my kids are so passionate not only about soccer, but about

living in the moment. Let the game play on.

I may never again be on the field. I do wish I had the opportunity my kids have

and do have a tinge of bitterness at myself for not taking some of the opportunity I had, but on balance my spirit soars to the day that is.

I am dad now. Nobody will play that position better.

Let the game play on.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

PS you can wear white or black socks. if you have one of the STA with locker rooms, look for the "uniform" poster, it says so right on it, white or black.(no garters with shorts though ;) )

Whats this? Information available to the masses??? Oh the horror!! LMAO!! I forgot they made white socks acceptable, but you're not supposed to wear no-shows, I can't stand socks taller than my ankle.

Ricochet1a

You guys don't get it. It becomes a subject of conversation. People dont find them repulsive or out of place in the least.

In professional circles, visible tattoos are strictly forbidden. That is why Express customer contact employees USED to be required to cover tattoos (long sleeves and pants if needed). Employees with visible tattoos on their face and neck generally weren't hired.

People do find visible tattoos "out of place" in certain circles. People are judged by their appearance, and tattoos are part of a person's projected appearance. Tattoos are generally seen as indicating the individual is non-conformist, anti-social and - I'm going to be blunt - "working class".

I would STRONGLY recommend to anyone who wishes to ever move into a professional occupation, to NOT get ANY visible tattoos - it will cause problems for you. No one will ever come out and say "you're not being hired because you have visible tattoos", but they will red line your resume and look for someone who better fits their "corporate culture" - and corporate culture for professionals DOESN'T include having visible tattoos.

People that wear ties and jackets as part of their "uniform", DO NOT associate with people with tats on their forearms or neck area (above the collar). Cold hard reality out there.

bbsam

Staff member
In professional circles, visible tattoos are strictly forbidden. That is why Express customer contact employees USED to be required to cover tattoos (long sleeves and pants if needed). Employees with visible tattoos on their face and neck generally weren't hired.

People do find visible tattoos "out of place" in certain circles. People are judged by their appearance, and tattoos are part of a person's projected appearance. Tattoos are generally seen as indicating the individual is non-conformist, anti-social and - I'm going to be blunt - "working class".

I would STRONGLY recommend to anyone who wishes to ever move into a professional occupation, to NOT get ANY visible tattoos - it will cause problems for you. No one will ever come out and say "you're not being hired because you have visible tattoos", but they will red line your resume and look for someone who better fits their "corporate culture" - and corporate culture for professionals DOESN'T include having visible tattoos.

People that wear ties and jackets as part of their "uniform", DO NOT associate with people with tats on their forearms or neck area (above the collar). Cold hard reality out there.
I too will be blunt. We are working class and not in the least bit ashamed of it. And as quickly as tats have become common place even the "professional class" will become ok with it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would STRONGLY recommend to anyone who wishes to ever move into a professional occupation, to NOT get ANY visible tattoos - it will cause problems for you.

This is excellent advice. My daughter has a tattoo above her left shoulder blade which she got to honor her late grandfather. She chose to have it applied there for the very reason you stated.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I too will be blunt. We are working class and not in the least bit ashamed of it. And as quickly as tats have become common place even the "professional class" will become ok with it.

It's one thing to get my oil changed and to see the technician inked----it is quite another to close on my condo and see one of the lawyers inked or to have surgery and see the surgeon or support staff inked.

So much for peeling back the layers.

bbsam

Staff member
My wife's half-sister has a "tramp stamp". It does cause problems at family gatherings and definitely not the kind I would ever bring up (pardon the pun).:anxious::happy-very:

bbsam

Staff member
It's one thing to get my oil changed and to see the technician inked----it is quite another to close on my condo and see one of the lawyers inked or to have surgery and see the surgeon or support staff inked.

Even if the surgeon or support staff was recently back from Iraq? I don't know. I'm just intrigued with them for some reason.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My wife's half-sister has a "tramp stamp". It does cause problems at family gatherings and definitely not the kind I would ever bring up (pardon the pun).:anxious::happy-very:

My former nephew's wife is heavily inked on both arms. She also has her Master's degree. She was the matron of honor for my daugher's wedding and, yes, some of the older relatives on his side of the family commented on the ink. (She wore a sleeveless dress)

bbsam

Staff member
One of my best friends is a major in the Marines and a man of such high character that I can't imagine his tats overshadowing his character.

bbsam

Staff member

As much respect as I have for UPS drivers, Express couriers, and Ground drivers, they are not lawyers or surgeons. We are the working class.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As much respect as I have for UPS drivers, Express couriers, and Ground drivers, they are not lawyers or surgeons. We are the working class.

Yes we are and it is their choice whether they want to get inked or not; however, we represent the company on a daily basis and it is their choice whether they wish to allows us to have visible tattoos. As a business owner it is my choice who I let in the front door and may opt to have all deliveries in the rear if the driver in question looks like he used to work for the circus.