When are we supposed to vote again?

BlackCat

Was the plan different then the non union UPS plan?

Is the plan different?

I have no idea. Using the central states plan as a comparison, I can tell you it sucks balls..

Whatever reason the union likes to keep the specifics of this said plan under wraps. Are we supposed to blindly approve this teamcare without any specifics?

oldupsman

Be lucky the union took it over. Look at what UPS is doing to their own non union people.

The reason we voted out the union health care plan, now almost 40 years ago was because it, oh heck lets use this
word, SUCKED. Teamcare also, oh heck I'll say it again, SUCKS. UPS can't do to us what they're doing to their own people as long
this contract is in effect. Now we both know that. I don't feel the least bit lucky the union is trying to take over my health care.
In fact, I feel screwed royally. The IBT is not doing me any favors giving me Teamcare. All it means is more money in their coffers and
less coverage for me. That's just a plain fact whether you want to admit it or not. And I can assure you that those of us that have UPS
health care are going to fight you to the very end.

beavis

I'm not going to get into how to vote, all I'm saying is vote. The lack of turnout in the first round of voting is a big factor in how the company has approached the renegotiations. A strong showing in numbers either yes or no would at least show a commitment one way or another. Lack of commitment to even take the time to vote has had a great effect on the renegotiations. It's difficult to argue about the importance of a contractual issue when so few even took the time to vote the first time.

So it's better to pick up a ballot, flip a coin and check a box regardless of the outcome than to be legitimately undecided and abstain? I read over the proposals, talked to business agents and other members and had strong feelings for and against the national and local riders and chose not to vote this time around.

cynic

Was the plan different then the non union UPS plan?

In Texas, FT union health care is TeamCare and PT union health care is Aetna.

And why I'm getting long overdue lab work and MRI's done now - I'm concerned for the health and well being of my checking account. Not at all happy with the provider changing and the plan differences. Of course I'm basing my assertion that the plan differences are going to be horrible based on the all the information the IBT has provided to me.

OH WAIT - I don't have a clue since IBT hasn't provided ANY information on what the new coverages will be. It must be their strategy to put the US Postal Service out of business by saving on postage to give members a clue.

OH WAIT - let me look on the IBT website. Nothing. Let me look on my local's website. Wow, last updated in May 2012.

Mushroom theory of management - keep us in the dark and feed us a bunch of ****. My dues at work. For someone like me with a terminally ill wife and 3 kids UPS and my current healthcare plan has been a blessing.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
The only way to look at this is -- This may be the last contract that will pass. Especially if the union and or obamacare fail totally. That being said - my union run insurance is very good. Those of you coming to a union plan. Try to keep open to it. It will work out. You may be really surprised. It's. The next contract I'm worried about now. UPS will now make 10 billion next yr. They dumped us and 15k of their own. Half of their major expenses are gone. More cash in the coffer. I may add excellent moves.

oldupsman

The only way to look at this is -- This may be the last contract that will pass. Especially if the union and or obamacare fail totally. That being said - my union run insurance is very good. Those of you coming to a union plan. Try to keep open to it. It will work out. You may be really surprised. It's. The next contract I'm worried about now. UPS will now make 10 billion next yr. They dumped us and 15k of their own. Half of their major expenses are gone. More cash in the coffer. I may add excellent moves.

I'm glad your union run plan is good. I really am. My objection is not the fact that it's a union run plan. I can live with that. My objection is it is
not as good as my UPS health care plan. If the union run plan would match exactly what I have now I'd be okay with the switch. However the two are
not even remotely close. And there is absolutely no reason I should accept an inferior plan to the one I have now.

kingOFchester

. They dumped us and 15k of their own. Half of their major expenses are gone. More cash in the coffer. I may add excellent moves.

Yes, their net-profit will go up as a result of cost cutting. At some point you can only cut so much "fat" before you start cutting into the red meat. Kind of like pushing operations to the breaking point for production numbers despite the affect on the customers or employees (white or blue collared).

At some point UPS needs to increase the business so there is more meat, rather then just cutting fat to give the illusion there is more meat on the plate. All the cost cutting will help the stock rise a few points, but any savvy fund manager or investor worth their salt will see thru the smoke and want to see true growth, not just cost cutting. Cost cutting that may in fact hinder growth.

kingOFchester

Be lucky the union took it over. Look at what UPS is doing to their own non union people.

You make a lot of great points. You have presented some great arguments to substantiate where you stand on a lot off issues including healthcare.

However, the quoted argument above really doesn't help your case. What UPS gives, takes or changes in pay, benefits and what have yous, has no bearing on the contractually negotiated benefits for the Teamsters. To say that "we should be lucky the union took it over because we see what UPS is doing to their own non union employees," is irrelevant. That is why we have the union. To negotiate a contract that does not allow UPS to just take away anything that was negotiated.

I will however say that if it is true that UPS was willing to walk away from the tables and allow a strike over this issue, then I do believe that perhaps moving us into a Union pan is better then a strike. If that was the only option. I was not at the negotiations so I have no idea if it was an either or decision. It just scares me that UPS was so head strong to get rid of control of healthcare and the union so willing to take control over it. Someone is going to loose.

I stand by a post I made several weeks ago. This is all a plan for us to go into a single payer system. Hoffa has stated he does not oppose a single payer, and that healthcare is the biggest road block during any contract negotiations. Reid has stated that Obamacare is the first step towards a single payer. UPS would benefit because now Fedex would be paying the same amount into a single payer as UPS. As of now, Fedex saves a bundle on the lack of benefits.

Its coming. Single payer. Every aspect of Obamacare, at this point, does nothing but add expense to healthcare plans. Kids staying on to till their late 20's. No lifetime max. No pre-existing conditions. Mandated insurance over 30 hours worked. All designed to make it the current healthcare "unsustainable". Then Obama, Pelosi and Reid will come in and say the only way to fix this is to go into a single payer system. We are at the first step.

Last edited:

3 done 3 to go

Yes, their net-profit will go up as a result of cost. cutting. At some point you can only cut so much "fat" before you start cutting into the red meat. Kind of like pushing operations to the breaking point for production numbers despite the affect on the customers or employees (white or blue collared).

At some point UPS needs to increase the business so there is more meat, rather then just cutting fat to give the illusion there is more meat on the plate. All the cost cutting will help the stock rise a few points, but any savvy fund manager or investor worth their salt will see thru the smoke and want to see true growth, not just cost cutting. Cost cutting that may in fact hinder growth.

The way they combat this is just simply buy other company's. Ups will just make themselves bigger. The Dhl deal fell thru. Because the German post own a large share of dhl. And, the commissioner of the EU is German. The German government doesn't want an American company to operate in direct competition with their post office. Which is the biggest in the world. Ups will do smaller mergers. Just faster now.

3 done 3 to go

I'm glad your union run plan is good. I really am. My. objection is not the fact that it's a union run plan. I can live with that. My objection is it is
not as good as my UPS health care plan. If the union run plan would match exactly what I have now I'd be okay with the switch. However the two are
not even remotely close. And there is absolutely no reason I should accept an inferior plan to the one I have now.

I totally agree with you. But, if you do have a plan like ours in Ny. You will be pleasantly pleased. I don't have any details about the teamcare. I just cant see it not mirroring ours. Atleast. When the details come out. I will state my difference with the plans. Now the question is WHEN

BlackCat

I totally agree with you. But, if you do have a plan like ours in Ny. You will be pleasantly pleased. I don't have any details about the teamcare. I just cant see it not mirroring ours. Atleast. When the details come out. I will state my difference with the plans. Now the question is WHEN

Can you give an example of being "pleasantly pleased"?

Lets use the birth of a child for example..

What would it cost you currently?

For me on the UPS plan.. $0.00 I didn't pay a single penny for the birth of my daughter.

For me on the UPS plan.. $0.00 I didn't pay a single penny for the birth of my daughter.
I've had two kids on central states and haven't paid a dime.

saintrick

You would be responsible for the remainder of any deductible for both the mother and child. (50 to 200 each)
You also pay 20% of any physician charges up to the $2000 out of pocket limit.

3 done 3 to go

I have 6 kids. Not one dime. Youngest is 8 now.

I have the union plan. In it for 25 yrs now. I basically had them my card. Pay 10 dollars for eyes (no charge for under 100 dollar frames) dental (except braces) which will be coming .Dr visit /emergency (blessed here) chiropractor (used frequently by wife and boys) . Guys it really isn't bad. But, I'm in upstate Ny. I don't know anything about teamcare

Last edited:

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
407 gets to modify TOS's post and stink gets to use an avatar that attacks TDU?
Good thing they are such buddies with all the mods.

I have 6 kids. Not one dime. Youngest is 8 now.

I have the union plan. In it for 25 yrs now. I basically had them my card. Pay 10 dollars for eyes (no charge for under 100 dollar frames) dental (except braces) which will be coming .Dr visit /emergency (blessed here) chiropractor (used frequently by wife and boys) . Guys it really isn't bad. But, I'm in upstate Ny. I don't know anything about teamcare
It means you are gonna pay more for less...Thanks for nothing sell out Hall and Pork butt HOFFA!...p.s.they work for us...we dont work for them!!