When do you sheet a package as emergency conditions?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
That's the response you should have given to this "nice" customer.

Or

"Well, Sir, I have to be sure I can make it up, and back down your driveway safely. While not damaging your property or getting myself stuck. I didn't know that I could do that, so regardless of your cars getting up the driveway, I felt it in UPS' best interest to not risk it."

Thanks for choosing UPS
Uh more like. "Call 1800 pick ups if you have a complaint"

That's all I ever say.

Indecisi0n

It was one of those long country gravel drive ways on a slight incline. Everything had been matted down by the owners driving on it. Im one to walk off long driveways to avoid a back, but not this long. Walked it off today as it was pretty much thawed, and since I was sick of seeing the stop in the truck. Guy was saying how everyone else managed to get down there no problem and was pretty unhappy. Told me I was in the wrong profession if I couldn't get down his driveway. I just said "alright" and walked back while he was talking. I like to think I made the right choices in terms of what houses I've ec'd. Easy money standing there listening to him though.
Now you know for next time...

Packmule

Having 4x4s would help with the mid range stuff. Some of the stupid hills customers would expect me to make if I had 4x4 would still scare me to death. Seen more than one pickup truck with the front caved in because it slid away and hit a tree coming down something. 4 wheel drives are not invincible but people would expect you to treat yours like it is if you had one.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I decided to do my job. They want to put it on my truck, I will skate, I will slide downhill on my butt, I will walk. They called me in at 9. Why put it on when its an 80 degree day load, and its 20 and ice up to my earballs. Just trying to do my job......

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Having 4x4s would help with the mid range stuff. Some of the stupid hills customers would expect me to make if I had 4x4 would still scare me to death. Seen more than one pickup truck with the front caved in because it slid away and hit a tree coming down something. 4 wheel drives are not invincible but people would expect you to treat yours like it is if you had one.
4 wheel drive becomes meaningless the moment your foot touches the brake pedal.

The only thing it might do...is get you out of the ditch you just slid into.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
When you brake in the autos, it pulls you to the right, even after you stop. I throw mine in neutral. Prevents this. Had a guy tonight, slid in a yard, 2nd to last stop at 840pm. Unfortunate. Will probaly be charged even tho the owner said no big deal ripped up by plows anyway.

Thebrownstreak

I made the mistake once to drive down a driveway that was iffy. I got down fine, turned around fine….but the trip back up the slight incline was next to impossible. Farmer came up to me and said to drive through his field where he had driven his tractor to make a path that took the hill out of the equation….I was only able to go about 1mph through the snow and almost got stuck in the middle of the field.

My mode of operation is if i think the possibility of getting stuck exists, i don't go down the road/driveway. Give to clerk to see if they can get phone number and try the next day.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
As I have explained to customers (and management) on many occasions....powering my way up to the house usually isn't the problem, especially if I have chains on. Getting turned around in the driveway is usually the problem.

upschuck

You are still going downhill one way or another. Gravity doesn't care whether you are on the way in or on the way out, if you hit ice you are going to slide.
But it you can make it going uphill, you can going down. Had a delivery, blind driveway going up side of hill, at the bottom was clear, top icy, started up hill and 2/3 of the way up became clear I wasn't going to make it up the hill, and easily made it back down. If situation was reversed, no way I could have made it back up to the road.