When do you sheet a package as emergency conditions?

neiko

The new trucks are a joke in snow . I got stuck in a flat parking lot today. And the shift inhibit makes it even harder to rock it out of bad spots . The old 800s could go thru pretty much anything . And now in our district if we have to get towed out they charge us with a accident .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The new trucks are a joke in snow . I got stuck in a flat parking lot today. And the shift inhibit makes it even harder to rock it out of bad spots . The old 800s could go thru pretty much anything . And now in our district if we have to get towed out they charge us with a accident .

A good rule of thumb is you will get charged for an accident if it costs the company money. If you are willing to pay for the tow or can get someone to pull you out without damaging the truck you won't get charged.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
A good rule of thumb is you will get charged for an accident if it costs the company money. If you are willing to pay for the tow or can get someone to pull you out without damaging the truck you won't get charged.
Too funny. They'd have a better chance of shaking hands with the Pope tomorrow.

oldngray

nowhere special
If you get stuck always try to get yourself unstuck before calling for help. That is why we have tire chains, traction strips, and grit bottles. Plus if you know your customers they might pull you out for free. Calling for a tow truck is the last option.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I take it you have never had a country run.
I've run all kinds of routes and you can get stuck anywhere.
If I get stuck and can't get free with my chains, grit or traction strips, I for sure call in before anybody hooks up anything to UPS's vehicle.

I always make my problem, their problem.

neiko

The old trucks were so much better for snow , the new ones are garbage . You cant do any of the driveways like the old trucks

iruhnman630

It was one of those long country gravel drive ways on a slight incline. Everything had been matted down by the owners driving on it. Im one to walk off long driveways to avoid a back, but not this long. Walked it off today as it was pretty much thawed, and since I was sick of seeing the stop in the truck. Guy was saying how everyone else managed to get down there no problem and was pretty unhappy. Told me I was in the wrong profession if I couldn't get down his driveway. I just said "alright" and walked back while he was talking. I like to think I made the right choices in terms of what houses I've ec'd. Easy money standing there listening to him though.
He negotiates his driveway maybe 2-3 times a day. We do it 60 times a day.

I'd say his odds of staying out of trouble are much better than ours.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Still an accident here.
He negotiates his driveway maybe 2-3 times a day. We do it 60 times a day.

I'd say his odds of staying out of trouble are much better than ours.
Totally agree. We can navigate ice and snow covered stairs once or twice a day also, and possibly 80 times, but the day is not long enough.

Mudslides, downed power lines, poor bridge conditions. Road crew closing road/driveway to work on power lines or bridge. Police/fire closing roads. Basically any condition that restricts access or would cause property damage/damage to package car.