When is the last day for a Driver Helper?

J

jerseyjeff84

I'm a driver helper in Southern New Jersey, this is my third time doing this seasonal position. The first two times I was a driver helper, my last day of employment was always Christmas Eve, Dec. 24. However, this year, my Driver was telling me that he doesn't think it's Christmas Eve. I was somewhat surprised, but maybe UPS is so heavy this year that they need to keep the helpers longer? How long should I expect to be hired as a Driver Helper this year? Thanks.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I always use mine until the last day, Christmas Eve. If you worked the last two Christmas Eves, then you probably will do it again.

dirty moose

speaking of x mas eve, last year it was a Saturday and we ran an air around town for like 4 or 5 hours, similar to the one on the day after thanksgiving. with it falling on a Monday this year, im fairly sure they will be running a full sort. but how will we be paid for x mas eve? and will they run a special sort Saturday?

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
I'm guessing Christmas Eve, being on a Monday this year, might be a very long day. UPS is going to make sure EVERY package gets delivered. I bet you work that day. :sick: I know my helper is:surprised:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Do you all realize how busy Christmas Eve is going to be !!! All the last minute savers, let alone the 2nd days and 3 day selects that are guaranteed to be delivered monday. Im in Connecticut and have had a helper every xmas-eve that we worked. Management wants everything delivered and wants everyone in as early as possible so everyone can get home to the families. They even have given us the option of paying our lunches if we skip them to get home early.
So obviously, anyone with a residential route for xmas will be keeping their helpers

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We generally have a couple of helpers who work with drivers past Christmas, but these are normally helpers who are already working at UPS, either on the preload or the metro. With Christmas Eve being on a Monday, you should count on working that day, and although there are no pickups it will be a full day, with a lot of premium packages. I am curious--with this being your 3rd year as a helper, have you tried to get hired on a permanent basis? I have been able to get 2 helpers permanent positions with the company; my current helper is in his 2nd peak with me and has been a preloader since last February.

cino321

We generally have a couple of helpers who work with drivers past Christmas, but these are normally helpers who are already working at UPS, either on the preload or the metro. With Christmas Eve being on a Monday, you should count on working that day, and although there are no pickups it will be a full day, with a lot of premium packages. I am curious--with this being your 3rd year as a helper, have you tried to get hired on a permanent basis? I have been able to get 2 helpers permanent positions with the company; my current helper is in his 2nd peak with me and has been a preloader since last February.

That's how I started. I was a helper, then a preloader, then I became a driver, now I have my own route. Believe it or not, it really does happen. Believe you me it can and before you know it. Time flies when you work for a company with time commitments. I'll be 46 when I retire too.

rod

Retired 22 years
That's how I started. I was a helper, then a preloader, then I became a driver, now I have my own route. Believe it or not, it really does happen. Believe you me it can and before you know it. Time flies when you work for a company with time commitments. I'll be 46 when I retire too.
How does one retire when they are 46? ( is there still a 25 and out at any age policy)? I mean one that a person could actually live on.

cino321

How does one retire when they are 46? ( is there still a 25 and out at any age policy)? I mean one that a person could actually live on.

Local 804 has the 25 and out provision. I'll retire and move on with my life. Find a new career, finish up school, whatever. I'm not saying retire as in I'm going to move to Florida and put my feet up, just start over again.

I actually intend on persuing a teaching career, part time that is.

rod

Retired 22 years
Local 804 has the 25 and out provision. I'll retire and move on with my life. Find a new career, finish up school, whatever. I'm not saying retire as in I'm going to move to Florida and put my feet up, just start over again.

I actually intend on persuing a teaching career, part time that is.
More power to ya. I hope it works out for you although I have known a dozen people that say they were getting out at 25 but they never did. It seems by the time you hit 25 you have a decent route, lots of vacation and have learned how to deal with the system so you just say "what the heck- 5 more years won't hurt". Also at 46 years old chances are UPS still has you right where they want you- morgaged up to the ying yang with a wife and a bunch of demanding kids that need to eat and be clothed.:happy2:

cino321

More power to ya. I hope it works out for you although I have known a dozen people that say they were getting out at 25 but they never did. It seems by the time you hit 25 you have a decent route, lots of vacation and have learned how to deal with the system so you just say "what the heck- 5 more years won't hurt". Also at 46 years old chances are UPS still has you right where they want you- morgaged up to the ying yang with a wife and a bunch of demanding kids that need to eat and be clothed.:happy2:

Hey I can dream right?

If I can't retire than so be it. I still have a good job. If I can, what the heck.

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
Management at my hub always cut the helpers on Christmas eve and leave us (residential routes) to work late. We finally get back to the hub and find out that those with business routes were permitted to work "05" and have been gone for hours instead of being sent to help us get home to our families earlier. Merry Christmas from UPS.

Cementups

Box Monkey
My helper asked how long we would work on the 24th and my only response was, "Until it's all off the truck." I have 6 daily pickups and they are all done along the way since I deliver a primarily rural route. Long enough day for me.

vwbajabug

Hi everyone. I'm new here and new to UPS. I just got hired as a Driver Helper on the 14th and I was told that the position ends on New Year's Eve.