When someone asks for employer's address/phone what do you put?

Threshold

Do you put down your hubs address, and their HR phone number. Or do you put down the GA one? If it's the GA address, can someone post or PM me the phone number.

The reason I'm asking is because I just had my gallbladder removed, and I'm filling the state disability paperwork.

-Thanks

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I would use the Center number and address too. I would think that if somebody makes a phone call to verify your employment, it would be better to talk to someone that actually knows you. Maybe someone from HR can chime in?

Just Lurking

When we purchased our current house in 2001, we used the district address. There as an toll-free number that I called to set a pin number for our lender. I gave that pin number and different toll-free number for the lender to call. They had 72 hours to call before the pin number expired.

Actually, I think that they will only verify that you are current employee or former employee ineligible for rehire.

bisongolfer

You should use the local center address and phone number for that purpose. If the local center receives any mail or phone calls regarding the disability claim, they will handle it appropriately. Remember that it will usually be an OMS who will answer the phone, and although they should be trained on how to handle the inquiry properly, there is a chance they could screw it up. (I'm an OMS and have seen other OMSs tell creditors/insurance agents/etc...that Billy Bob does not work for UPS - when in reality Billy Bob works in preload and the PM OMS doesn't know who Billy Bob is)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If they are calling to verify employment, they will need to use the eHR number. To access employment and salary verification, call the UPS eHR at 1-800-UPS-1508 (1-800-877-1508) and select the employment and salary verification option.

Give the person needing proof of your employment (the verifier), the following information:
  • Your Social Security Number
  • Employer Code for United Parcel Service: 11463
  • The Work Number Access Options:
You can also speak to a customer service center representative, Monday through Friday between the hours of 7 a.m. -8 p.m. (Central Standard Time) except holidays, by opting out of the system once you have accessed the toll-free 1-800 number and you have connected to the employment and salary verification line.

Note: Information listed above is from UPSers

trickpony1

Just Lurking-
Are you sure the company can say that someone is a former employee ineligible for rehire? That has some really strong implications that the referenced employee was fired which could cause litigation.

It's my understanding that all the company can say is:

1) a person does work here or;
2) a person doesn't work here.

any one from HR care to comment?

lostintransit

trickpony1 said:
Just Lurking-
Are you sure the company can say that someone is a former employee ineligible for rehire? That has some really strong implications that the referenced employee was fired which could cause litigation.

Trick-
When I was in HR a couple years ago (not UPS), I was told by our Corporate lawyer that I was allowed to say either yes they were employed or no they weren't. BUT - if they ASKED if we would rehire, then we were allowed to say no (if that were the case) but could not give any elaboration on why or why not.

Just Lurking

trickpony1 said:
Just Lurking-

Trick-

lostintransit summed it up pretty well. I was told many years back that no one was eligble for re-hire has standard policy but exceptions could be made.

Most likely for legal reasons but do you think that company would re-hire you if you voluntaryly left. :wink:

trickpony1

All I'm saying is........

if an employee, for whatever reason, left our company and went elsewhere, why would our company want to screw it up for that person by telling the next prospective employer, "no, we would not rehire him/her".

Unless, of course, it's the company's intent to get one last jab at the individual.

Put considerable thought in before you say, "shucks....our company wouldn't do that."

lostintransit

trickpony1 said:
All I'm saying is........

if an employee, for whatever reason, left our company and went elsewhere, why would our company want to screw it up for that person by telling the next prospective employer, "no, we would not rehire him/her".

Unless, of course, it's the company's intent to get one last jab at the individual.

Put considerable thought in before you say, "shucks....our company wouldn't do that."

I can see where you are coming from and agree......to a point. Sometimes there are different ways to look at the situation.

Example 1: IF it is indeed a company's or UPS policy to not rehire an individual under any circumstances, that should clearly be stated as a disclaimer to any inquiries. Then it would not be construed as a negative.

Example 2: (This event actually happened at my old company.) We had a service technician who had the use of a company van to take home every day. This individual started stealing system components from company job sites and started "selling" these sytems on his OWN using our Company vehicle - it all looked legit to those who didn't look too hard. Anyway, he was fired. He went to a competitor of ours for a job. They called me for a reference and ASKED if we would rehire him again (we had done so once in the past with this guy). I said No, and didn't feel like I was getting one last jab at him. He made the situation what it was and even though he was applying to a competitor, I would not have felt right to refuse to answer that question knowing what I did about the applicant.

On the other hand.....if he had left on good terms (even if he was going to a competitor) I would, if asked say that yes, he was eligible for rehire.

trickpony1

I would say that refusing to answer the question and "no, we would not rehire" conveys a real clear message to the prospective employer.

Additionally, "yes, we would rehire" also conveys a real clear message but in a different vein.

I do agree with your example #1.

I think you pretty much reinforced my contention.

beentheredonethat

trickpony1 said:
Just Lurking-

Trick,
I was only to say the employee is a current UPS'er and started on (their start date). If the employee was now gone, All we could say was that the person worked for us from (their start date) to their end date). We couldn't say anything about why they left or if we'd take them back. Even for terrific ex employees. Since if we did glowing reviews for good people and said nothing for people we wouldn't want to rehire. It's the same as saying the person was no good and that ex employee could sue us for defamation. Sounds silly that by saying nothing you could be sued, but that's what they told us.