When will upsers be able to receive the covid-19 shot?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I just think we need to be careful about the conclusions we draw from these metadata studies. For one, definitions of "asymptomatic" and "symptomatic"... I remember a WHO study that studied "asymptomatic" spread and they were referring to all people who were asymptomatic in a group, not necessarily those who were identified as COVID positive who were also asymptomatic for a time before they started showing any symptoms. They lumped everyone in together and created a lot of confusion for the Internet armchair epidemiologists.

Again, thanks for sharing. But I think the balance of evidence is strongly in favor of a higher level of asymptomatic spread through society in general than what you're suggesting. Have a good day, man.

I'm willing to accept the possibility that asymptomatic spread is a factor, because it is consistent with the fact that most people are asymptomatic, or develop very mild symptoms, when considered with the number of cases. But that is also as consistent with both faulty tests/testing and the wrong strategy for testing.

If we treated this like any other respiratory virus, it is likely only people who ended up hospitalized would be tested, and the numbers we see would barely register. This test everyone and keep retesting indefinitely is a wasteful and uniformative approach.

As for household transmission, there's really no reason to question it. This has always been the most likely avenue of transmission for respiratory illness. Which is why stay at home orders were a complete travesty. It's almost like the people making decisions never encountered a respiratory illness, or even read about one. Completely clueless.

The Driver

I drive.
I'm willing to accept the possibility that asymptomatic spread is a factor, because it is consistent with the fact that most people are asymptomatic, or develop very mild symptoms, when considered with the number of cases. But that is also as consistent with both faulty tests/testing and the wrong strategy for testing.

If we treated this like any other respiratory virus, it is likely only people who ended up hospitalized would be tested, and the numbers we see would barely register. This test everyone and keep retesting indefinitely is a wasteful and uniformative approach.

As for household transmission, there's really no reason to question it. This has always been the most likely avenue of transmission for respiratory illness. Which is why stay at home orders were a complete travesty. It's almost like the people making decisions never encountered a respiratory illness, or even read about one. Completely clueless.
Wow! Insightful. When’s your start date at Johns Hopkins?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Wow! Insightful. When’s your start date at Johns Hopkins?

Sorry, I thought we were having an intelligent conversation. No need to pull out the insults. I get my information from experts, just like you. The main difference is that I put thought into deciding which experts know what they are talking about, then I apply logic to the information I gather. You can probably do it too, if you put in some effort.

By the way, what is your opinion on Doctors who prescribe antibiotics for viral infections? Having an M.D. after your name does not mean you aren't an idiot.

The Driver

I drive.
Sorry, I thought we were having an intelligent conversation. No need to pull out the insults. I get my information from experts, just like you. The main difference is that I put thought into deciding which experts know what they are talking about, then I apply logic to the information I gather. You can probably do it too, if you put in some effort.

By the way, what is your opinion on Doctors who prescribe antibiotics for viral infections? Having an M.D. after your name does not mean you aren't an idiot.
Doctors routinely prescribe antibiotics for moderate to severe respiratory illness due to risk of secondary bacterial infection. What’s your point?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Doctors routinely prescribe antibiotics for moderate to severe respiratory illness due to risk of secondary bacterial infection. What’s your point?

"Most inappropriate use of antibiotics in outpatient facilities occurs when antibiotics are prescribed for viral respiratory infections, such as viral bronchitis, otitis, and sinusitis."

"Risks of antibiotic overuse and overprescribing
Risks of antibiotic overuse or overprescribing include not only increases in antibiotic resistance, but increases in disease severity, disease length, health complications and adverse effects, risk of death, healthcare costs, re-hospitalization, and need for medical treatment of health problems that previously may have resolved on their own."

Oops

The Driver

I drive.

"Most inappropriate use of antibiotics in outpatient facilities occurs when antibiotics are prescribed for viral respiratory infections, such as viral bronchitis, otitis, and sinusitis."

"Risks of antibiotic overuse and overprescribing
Risks of antibiotic overuse or overprescribing include not only increases in antibiotic resistance, but increases in disease severity, disease length, health complications and adverse effects, risk of death, healthcare costs, re-hospitalization, and need for medical treatment of health problems that previously may have resolved on their own."

Oops

dude I understand that. But doctors do in fact prescribe antibiotics for really bad viruses that affect the lungs. Ask any pulmonologist or surgeon. When the immune system is weekend it presents an easy target to kill the host for bacteria.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
dude I understand that. But doctors do in fact prescribe antibiotics for really bad viruses that affect the lungs. Ask any pulmonologist or surgeon. When the immune system is weekend it presents an easy target to kill the host for bacteria.

So you do get that doctors can make mistakes. That they use therapies, which may be appropriate in some situations, in situations where they are inappropriate and actually do harm to the public health condition. I'm glad we got that sorted out.

It's much worse when it's not just individual incompetent doctors, but systemic problems when procedures within corporatized health care companies are designed with limiting liability as the primary goal over patient health.

It can be catastrophic when politics gets entangled with healthcare, where decisions are made with bureaucrats and politicians maintaining their power as the primary goal over liability and public health.

Method Mensch

I got covid on 12/9 and I was sick as hell. Still kinda am, but I wouldn’t wish this on anybody. It got scary when I started to feel lightheaded, nauseous, blue lips, and hand got cold, all signs I wasn’t getting enough oxygen. Every breath was painful to some degree. I had to just stop and lay on my stomach, reduce my oxygen demand.

Im on my way to recovery. Still have some mild discomfort in my chest, but I’m just happy I got through it. Now I’m just trying to avoid the flu. That’s the last thing I need.

Yes I’m healthy. I actually ride my bike on the weekends, and at a pretty good pace. So my lungs and heart are good. You just never know how this virus will affect you. All of my family members had different symptoms, and of different severity. Get the vaccine.
I just got done with my quarantine. For me, it was like a stubborn cold. I'm lucky. My two boys tested positive. They've got zero symptoms. I reported to work this morning, they were running a skeleton crew. Boss told me I could come back Monday. I was heading home about 2 minutes later.

The only downside is that my son who plays hockey has to quarantine for another week.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
So you do get that doctors can make mistakes. That they use therapies, which may be appropriate in some situations, in situations where they are inappropriate and actually do harm to the public health condition. I'm glad we got that sorted out.

It's much worse when it's not just individual incompetent doctors, but systemic problems when procedures within corporatized health care companies are designed with limiting liability as the primary goal over patient health.

It can be catastrophic when politics gets entangled with healthcare, where decisions are made with bureaucrats and politicians maintaining their power as the primary goal over liability and public health.
They’ve had a possible cure since April it looks like

799C6FC6-E7D4-4954-93D3-60239325C4F4.jpeg

BrownSnowFlake

That's not true. The asymptomatic people who tested positive and never showed symptoms were very likely to have had immunity due to having had related viruses in the past. Some populations it's been estimated to be up 60%, which could explain why some countries/states have done better than others.
i heard 80%

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
They’ve had a possible cure since April it looks like

View attachment 323071

I posted this in another thread:

On a side note, I learned why anti-parasitic drugs work against covid. Apparently they block viral proteins from entering cell nuclei, which is what tends to cause infections to get out of control. The sad part is that this has been known for a very long time, but the FDA still won't approve them for use in this context. Yet, were willing to fast-track the vaccine. My question is, whatever happened to the Right to Try Act?

The video of the Doctor explaining how anti-parasitics work against viral infections is from March or April. This is the type of thing that makes me doubt everything the government "experts" say.