When working in hot weather what do you think is adequate supply of water to have with you for your entire shift?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qdg2

Show me where he said that.

It seems pretty close to made up, to me.
And..........so?

OMG!

Satire.

Say, what do you care? You think he needs help?

Now, when you review all this stuff.....note where the wheels came off.....post #25.....by gee looky who.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
like this^^^^

Now, how long did you drive pkg to tell us how much water we need? Your qualifications please.
Wow…. Do you have a learning issue.
The subject is whether the Company should provide you water or do big boys take care of themselves….
NOT:
1. How much water you need to drink;
2. Whether you’ll die if you deliver packages for UPS due to dehydration
3. Whether you can stay on Topic.

Maybe you should be banned because you seemingly can only spin things.

Delivering boxes out of a truck is not easy, but certainly not a near-death endeavor…..unles yoyr skill set is so weak that it would be.

Maybe you need to work out or something Gladys.

qdg2

Never said that. Now you’re going on this forum telling people I said something when I never did. Is this not a TOS violation?

You beat me to it. Never said such a thing.
Here we go.
Folks,

Could you imagine this guy standing in front of a PCM saying this stuff?

How about a Union meeting?

"You don't deserve water!"

"Grow up!" "Why my sister teaches Sunday School! And we don't even give 'em Kool-Aid!

"Grow Up!

God sent his son to be the savior of the world.........indeed.
Please read carefully.

qdg2

Wow…. Do you have a learning issue.
The subject is whether the Company should provide you water or do big boys take care of themselves….
NOT:
1. How much water you need to drink;
2. Whether you’ll die if you deliver packages for UPS due to dehydration
3. Whether you can stay on Topic.

Maybe you should be banned because you seemingly can only spin things.

Delivering boxes out of a truck is not easy, but certainly not a near-death endeavor…..unles yoyr skill set is so weak that it would be.

Maybe you need to work out or something Gladys.
So satisfying.

Ban me? I wouldn't stand next to any trees....

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
And..........so?

OMG!

Satire.

Say, what do you care? You think he needs help?

Now, when you review all this stuff.....note where the wheels came off.....post #25.....by gee looky who.
I'm not trying to come at you about this stuff.

@Trucker Clock didn't write up post 25.

I genuinely couldn't tell that your post was satire. It doesn't read like that.

Trucker Clock

Please read carefully.

OK.

Why would you make a statement “Could you imagine him saying you don’t deserve water”

I never said that. My position has actually been just the opposite.

So, if you’re intention was not to attack me, then what was it?

Trucker Clock

Please read carefully.

Also. I’m a big boy. Insults don’t bother me. I don’t go crying to moderators when someone hurts my feelings.

I know it is a TOS violation, so be it. I don’t report you for insulting me. I can take it.

Unlike some others.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Very active thread today.

Get your final word in.

I am preparing mine once I post it I will be requesting that this thread be locked.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Very active thread today.

Get your final word in.

I am preparing mine once I post it I will be requesting that this thread be locked.
My final word is quit asking for free water you cheap ass. Way better things to fight for. I mean, what did drivers do in the 80’s and 90’s? They brought their own water, drank it, and then went out and drank beer together after work and were men about it.

Integrity

Binge Poster
How this discussion progressed is quite interesting to me. The topic of this thread was in the form of a question. The question was “When working in hot weather what do you think is an adequate supply of water to have with you for your entire shift? My hope going into this thread was to simply get people to post an answer to this question. As it turns out there were many posts that did just that. There were other distracting, off topic, inappropriate posts, a few were just mean. It’s all good.

All these personal opinions, thoughts and decisions as to the adequate supply of drinking water employees take or think they need to drink is all well and good but it is not adequate to address the new information and the new focus to address Heat Related/Illnesses s and protecting workers from these hazards in the workplace and on route. It is crystal clear to me that the old way of thinking about toughing it out in hot weather has to go and new clearly defined best practices have to be implemented and enforced by employers such as UPS.

I will restate my original post as my final word for this discussion at least.

It is a crystal clear responsibility for employers to ensure that employees have an adequate supply of water suitable for drinking with requirements that it be fresh, pure, suitably cool, and provided to employees free of charge. The water shall be located as close as practicable to the areas where employees are working. Where drinking water is not plumbed or otherwise continuously supplied, it shall be provided in sufficient quantity at the beginning of the work shift to provide one quart per employee per hour for drinking for the entire shift.

Your personal understanding of what amount of water you should have available to you and the failure or success of UPS to meet these requirements and their fulfilling their responsibilities to you and to all UPS employees is the sole scope and topic of this thread.

Based upon a 10.5 hours an adequate supply of water meeting the above requirements is 2.625 gallons. The employer shall dispense drinking water using one of the following means: from a fountain, a covered container with single-use drinking cups stored in a sanitary receptacle, or single-use bottles. The employer shall prohibit the use of shared drinking cups, dippers, and water bottles.

A 3 gallon jug, at least 20 bottles of .5 liter water bottles in a cooler with ice, or 42 8oz water bottles in a cooler with Ice will all meet the requirements.

The employer is responsible to ensure that each delivery driver has at least this much with them when working in hot conditions.

Part timers working in the sweatshops that most UPS facilities are should be supplied about half of the above in any of the acceptable means listed by OSHA.

This is a UPS responsibility, this is not an employee responsibility.

IMO The sole responsibility of the UPS employee is follow all UPS Safety Training exactly as stated but specifically to this topic, to follow all UPS Safety training regarding Heat related injuries/illness exactly as trained and to hold the UPS management in your building to their responsibility as to this training and OSHA requirements by seeing that they pay for and provide what they are required.

A warning:

Unfortunately I do believe if you do this you will be targeted by both UPS management and management sympathetic hourly workers union and non union.

I am available for private conversation regarding this topic as well just use the conversation feature of this site

Please :
Due to the serious nature of this topic, busting chops, joking and belittling individuals about this topic are not appropriate, nor welcome, please stay out of this discussion if that is all you want to add.

Last edited:

Trucker Clock

My hope going into this thread was to simply get people to post an answer to this question. As it turns out there were many posts that did just that. There were other distracting, off topic, inappropriate posts,

You mean like all of yours? So you're blaming everybody else, just like you blame UPS when someone goes down with heat exhaustion.

Blame everybody but yourself.

Let me help you out.....

When hot working conditions exist, in addition to the required water supply I do believe that a case can be made for UPS to be required to pay for and provide a small quantity of beverages with electrolytes based upon the known strenuous nature of package handling and delivery jobs.

t is unfortunate the management employees of a company that makes billions per year has to have employees feel that they should incur this added expense because they are not fulfilling the OSHA requirements to pay for this.

IMO Their failure to fulfill this requirement is tantamount to stealing from their employees.

Regardless of your personal view and your decision to not hold UPS to this standard, is it your opinion that OSHA require UPS to pay for and supply water per the regulations that have been presented here on the BC

I do respect taking care of yourself when you can’t rely on UPS management to fulfill their obligations though.

Unfortunately in my area, my experience has been unreasonable UPS management employees that most often seem to want to fight over their responsibilities as employers. They then try to divide the work group using a “blame the worker” approach.

Based upon OSHA requirements you are paying for water that UPS should be paying for.

The employer is responsible to provide and pay for water while on the job.

If that is the means that UPS has chosen to meet OSHA requirements then in my opinion based upon my interpretation they UPS are required to pay for them.

I agree it is more complicated. UPS supervisors should be regularly reminding employee's to drink frequently. It should be pretty easy to prove if UPS supervisors do that.

According to "Cool Solutions" both. According to "Cool Solutions" UPS even pays you to take extra cool down breaks, when necessary for safety.

I believe UPS the entity cares, unfortunately there are a lot of individuals who work at UPS, management and non-management who are defeated and are afraid to try and change anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.