When working in hot weather what do you think is adequate supply of water to have with you for your entire shift?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AccidentProne

Gosh....good question.

Let's explore: Do you use this car "in their service"....you know on the clock? PVD's could make a case....

Or your house?(on the clock).....

I believe in my universe......the answer is NO.

Sleepers gets a per diem....as we are always in their service while on the clock. For example. See?

Notice I didn't tell you to grow up...
Do they pay you to drink water or to move packages? Tell me Aquaman.

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Obtuse much?

How long did you drive pkg? What conditions?

Thanks.
Mr. Spin Doctor....
Your "Least Brilliant" comments I highlighted are made-up BS....

Here they are:

"Example: Why is there so much resistance(you) to providing onboard water? Why would someone be pressured to run all day without drinking? Or admonished for getting a drink when needed?

And I flatly disagree it's not the Company's responsibility to keep ANYONE alive while at UPS in ANY capacity."

COMPLETELY fictional material....Are you a left wing woke liberal?

Integrity

Binge Poster
OSHA guidelines are not immutable law in this case. There's no bright line between safe and "unsafe". It establishes that it's reasonable to drink up to 3 gallons a day.
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/mining/UserFiles/works/pdfs/2017-126.pdf

An adequate supply would be about 3 gallons.
At all times I would take personal responsibility for my hydration first and foremost.
I agree that following all UPS "Cool Solutions" training to the letter is a responsibility of every UPS employee, management and non-management.
When convenient I'll take free water from the company and if someone were to try to stop me from hydration, I'd refer to the guideline and tell them to kick rocks.
The employer is responsible to provide and pay for water while on the job.
But I'd stop short of a campaign where I'm measuring available water and building spreadsheets.
That's fine. It still doesn't change the employer responsibility.

Last edited:

Integrity

Binge Poster
Why not UPS buy them? You are in their service.....
If that is the means that UPS has chosen to meet OSHA requirements then in my opinion based upon my interpretation they UPS are required to pay for them.

For reference:

The Difficulty in Providing Drinking Water at Worksites (the UPS delivery vehicle is the UPS Driver’s worksite.)​

wf20_cs-october-blog-illustration-100520eh-1024x683.jpg

How hard is it to have clean drinking water at your worksite(the UPS delivery vehicle)?​

One of the biggest concerns for any business is the safety and well-being of your workforce. Although you want to do what’s right for your employees, there are specific requirements set by OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) * to ensure that you do what’s needed to ensure your employees have clean, safe water.

OSHA Sets Potable Water Standards

OSHA standards outline what is required by employers pertaining to providing drinking water in work areas (this includes UPS delivery vehicles) Sanitation Standard 29 CFR1910.141, states that employers provide potable water at worksites (which includes the UPS delivery vehicles), which is water that meets the drinking water standards of the state or local authority having jurisdiction, or water that meets the quality standards prescribed by the U.S. EPA’s drinking water regulations.
In addition, they state that water should have a palatable (pleasant and odor-free) taste and water temperature should be 50°friend to 60°friend if possible.

WF_tempwater-1024x536.jpg

Challenges for Employers Providing Potable Water

Providing clean water that meets stated standards can be a daunting task for employers, especially for those working at remote locations( UPS drivers spend their entire day at remote locations)or large construction sites that lack standard infrastructure.
The difficult task of providing water for these locations has primarily been handled in one of two ways:

UPS should use one of these methods to meet the water provision safety requirement of OSHA.

1. The Water Cooler

The standard orange or yellow insulated water cooler, with its little white dispensing spout, that we remember from our school field trips has been used everywhere from Little League games to professional sporting events, and worksites across the globe.

WF_cooler-1-1024x536.jpg

If you have ever wondered how these coolers are managed at work sites, here is a brief overview.
  • A crew of workers begin their day by taking empty coolers that were retrieved from the worksite and start the arduous task of cleaning, sanitizing, and refilling them.
  • Once the cleaning is complete, approximately 40 lbs. of ice is added in each cooler. This is often a manual task, shoveling ice from large ice machines, or dumping bags of pre-made ice into the cooler.
  • Next, the cooler is filled with potable water. The lid can be screwed on, taped shut, and marked with the time and date.
This may sound like the end, but there is much more to this effort.
  • If the coolers were processed off-site, they must be loaded into transport trucks and moved to the site to be staged for distribution.
  • If they were processed on-site, they are likewise staged.
  • Small quantities of coolers are then placed around each location. The quantities can range from a few dozen on smaller sites, to a few hundred on large sites.
  • During the day, the locations are revisited to ensure adequate water is available, no tampering has occurred, and the water temperature meets OSHA standards.
Unfortunately, this is still not the end of the process.
  • At the end of the workday, drivers must go to each location and collect all of the coolers.
  • They open and dump the balance of the contents on the ground, then deliver the empty coolers back to the processing location, where the whole cycle starts over in a few hours.

2. Bottled Water

Some employers prefer to use bottled water to eliminate the cleaning and refilling cycle related to the use of water coolers.

WF_bottled-water-1024x536.jpg

However, the process is surprisingly similar.
  • Starting early in the morning, crews break down cases of single serve bottled water and place them in ice chests. Sizes can range from the usual “family size,” all the way up to pallet-sized coolers that hold hundreds of bottles.
  • After ice has topped off the ice chest, they are then staged for distribution around the site.
  • Frequent monitoring runs are made to ensure enough bottles are available, to add more ice as needed (a single bottle of water requires as much as a pound of ice per day to keep it at OSHA standards), and to pick up any empty bottle trash.
  • At the end of the day, the coolers are picked up, melted ice dumped, bottles checked for damage and returned to the staging area, then the entire cycle starts over the next morning.
This effort is organized by the employer and should be paid for by the employer.
As you can see, companies should be applauded for the hard work and expense that goes into the availability of cool, safe water for their workers at work sites!( when they do it right.)
Unfortunately, this process creates significant waste and worksite mess in the form of tons of expensive (now melted) ice dumped on the ground.
In the case of bottled water use, significant trash is created along with the melted ice problem, creating a dual waste issue.
Additionally, both the Cooler Method and the Bottled Water Method require daily deliveries to the site which adds hidden costs in the form of additional traffic flows, security risks and oversite; and results in daily delivery tickets to be received, processed and paid.
The cooler or bottled water solution certainly solves the challenge of providing proper drinking water for workers, and in some cases it’s the only answer.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Yet,

It's far more complicated than he just didn't drink enough water....

Say, do you work or have ever worked at UPS? If so, we'll explore what it's like to work there.....and apply that to our conversation......hoping to leave out the personal insults(like grow up and such).

Example: Why is there so much resistance(you) to providing onboard water? Why would someone be pressured to run all day without drinking? Or admonished for getting a drink when needed?

And I flatly disagree it's not the Company's responsibility to keep ANYONE alive while at UPS in ANY capacity.
I agree it is more complicated. UPS supervisors should be regularly reminding employee's to drink frequently. It should be pretty easy to prove if UPS supervisors do that.

Integrity

Binge Poster
You know it's been a tough day when you're turning the ice chest up and drinking the last of the melted ice to finish the shift.
This is the exact reason why UPS management must ensure that each UPS employees has an adequate supply. Seem like your management team failed you.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Not saving worlds. I would rather UPS reduce hours, have better ventilation in package cars, make it perfectly clear that production takes a second to safety in extreme heat, etc. as opposed to just having UPS supply water.

Bigger fish to fry.
All of these things are correct to want. Never said more than water wasn't required of UPS. This topic just happens to be focused on this one aspect of Heat Safety.

Please Read:

Heat - Engineering Controls, Work Practices, and Personal Protective Equipment | Occupational Safety and Health Administration

What? 2 people. Yes, it's a tragedy. 2 is too many. But 2 people out of 250,000 doesn't translate into a UPS problem.
No. How can you say this?
That translated into either some other factor was at play or these 2 employees did not drink enough water.
The injury/illness investigation report shows this? Did you read it? I definitely am not comfortable with jumping to these "blame the worker" type conclusions.
And I guess I have to tell you again. It is not UPS's resposibility to force you to drink water.
Employers are required to frequently remind workers to drink on during extreme heat.
They have all their pamphlets about staying hydrated. It is your responsibility to stay hydrated.

You can lead a horse to water........

Do whatever it takes. Working hard and fast does not kill you. Not staying hydrated kills you. You can work hard and long and be perfectly fine if you stay hydrated.

Working in heat has its dangers. We've been doing it for over a century. So has other industries.

Or, do you want UPS to shut down when it gets over 90?

Take some personal responsibility for your own life and stay hydrated. Do not expect your employer to make sure you stay hydrated. The alternative is that you may die. Is that what you want?
Employees are responsible to follow UPS "Cool Solutions" to the letter. I agree.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Mr. Spin Doctor....

Here they are:

"Example: Why is there so much resistance(you) to providing onboard water? Why would someone be pressured to run all day without drinking? Or admonished for getting a drink when needed?

And I flatly disagree it's not the Company's responsibility to keep ANYONE alive while at UPS in ANY capacity."

I have witnessed these types of things at UPS.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Integrity ups doesn’t give a :censored2: we’re just numbers
Do you? Do you view yourself and your coworkers as just numbers.

I don't.

I believe UPS the entity cares, unfortunately there are a lot of individuals who work at UPS, management and non-management who are defeated and are afraid to try and change anything.

I like trying to change things in this environment.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Hope this finds you all well today.

Be informed.

I was hoping to become more detailed in discussing Heat Related Safety, UPS and OSHA.

I do suspect that some of the first comments might be something like "do we really need another thread on water".

In order to satisfy those that might have this type of problem and to funnel those interested to the new thread I am hoping to have this thread locked.

I do think this would be the best call for me to advance the topic from a slightly different angle.

Before I start my new thread I am going to send a request to the moderators and request that this
thread be locked from any more input.

I am very interested in getting more detailed in what I believe to be a very hot topic for UPSers safety now and more so in the future. "Pun intended"

The locking of this thread is 100% at my request.

I am going to wait a bit before requesting a lock so that anyone who so desires might get there last shot at this thread. Probably a day or 2.

Stay cool!

qdg2

Mr. Spin Doctor....

Here they are:

How long did you deliver in pkg?

C'mon............

Status
Not open for further replies.