Do you believe UPS should be reported to OSHA for not supplying water correctly nor adequately to you and your coworkers? ( On Topic Only Please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yolo

Yes to thead title. But luckily in my building we have a ton of coolers full of water bottles spread throughout the building.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Yes to thead title. But luckily in my building we have a ton of coolers full of water bottles spread throughout the building.
Thanks.

To clarify.

So inside your building do you believe UPS supplies cool water in adequate quantities, in close enough proximity to the worker’s that they are in compliance with OSHA in regards to their responsibilities to pay for and provide water to their employees in this way?

Do you know if the drivers are supplied cool water in adequate quantities as well?

Integrity

Binge Poster
I’m curious why adults think a company has to provide them with water other than from a faucet or water fountain, ice yes, but why bottled water?
True bottled water is not a requirement but sometimes that is the method UPS chooses to make water available in close proximity to the workers, which is an OSHA requirement.

upschuck

True bottled water is not a requirement but sometimes that is the method UPS chooses to make water available in close proximity to the workers, which is an OSHA requirement.
What is OSHA's definition of close proximity?

Our hubs places big tubs of ice water, then puts a bunch of water bottles, fruit in them. Usually empty by end of sort, and probably well before.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Why wouldn’t workers bring bottles and fill them up before getting to their work areas? I’m not trying to be difficult, just curious.

oldngray

nowhere special
Why wouldn’t workers bring bottles and fill them up before getting to their work areas? I’m not trying to be difficult, just curious.
That was what most of the preloaders in my building did. Sometimes they would have bottles of water but not on a regular basis.

Integrity

Binge Poster
They got a room full of water bottles for drivers. Some take a case to their car every.
This is similar to my building. Bottled water is obviously a reasonable means for UPS to fulfill the requirement of having water available on the trucks and IMO a case of water is an adequate quantity to have available to each driver based upon general work conditions and workload however I believe UPS is significantly deficient in their responsibility to provide water to package car drivers that is and is kept suitably cool throughout the day. This in my opinion is a violation.

Also they do run out of bottles water.

IMO they are in violation on certain days when they run out and there is none available or they run out before everyone gets water.

This in my opinion in a violation.

Integrity

Binge Poster
What is OSHA's definition of close proximity?
Water or other fluids provided by the employer should not only be cool, but should also be provided in a location that is familiar to the workers, near the work, easy to access, and in sufficient quantity for the duration of the work.
Our hubs places big tubs of ice water, then puts a bunch of water bottles, fruit in them.
👍
Usually empty by end of sort, and probably well before.
UPS is required to supply sufficient quantity for the duration of the work. The way I see it they are in violation by not seeing that they have enough for the entire sort.

nWo

I've reported my hub to OSHA multiple times. Worst thing that can happen is OSHA will tell you you don't have a valid complaint. OSHA will probably send a letter or call and management will have a chance to fix the issue or deny it. A letter from OSHA telling UPS that preload needs adequate egress might get managements attention faster than a greviance. If UPS is denying anyone water breaks then call OSHA and file a grievance.

Integrity

Binge Poster
They probably should if they need to for their own health and safety.

They are also great candidates for filing a formal complaint with OSHA because if UPS was meeting their obligations then they wouldn't have to do this.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I've reported my hub to OSHA multiple times. Worst thing that can happen is OSHA will tell you you don't have a valid complaint. OSHA will probably send a letter or call and management will have a chance to fix the issue or deny it. A letter from OSHA telling UPS that preload needs adequate egress might get managements attention faster than a greviance. If UPS is denying anyone water breaks then call OSHA and file a grievance.
When you say you reported your hub to OSHA multiple times do you mean you filed formal complaints with OSHA multiple times or you just called them and discussed your issues with them.

As for the topic:

How does UPS provide water to you and your co workers?

Inside employees?

Drivers?

AccidentProne

Really you should be bringing in your own water bottle. At my local, we have refilling stations/water fountains in every work area and bathroom. We also have 3 ice machines in the building.

If you don't have water, then it's your fault, you can ask for a UPS bottle and they will provide one, but really you should bring your own. I used to carry a gallon milk jug of water and it lasts me the whole shift. Walmart/Target sells relatively cheap thermal water bottles to keep your drink cool. Amazon you can buy a 22-128 oz for $24-$60 thermal bottles by Buzio.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I’am a grown ass man I don’t need UPS to provide me water

You act like your 12 take a little personal responsibility
That was how always I looked at it (except for the man part). Plus, major pet peeve of mine is to see half empty bottles of water sitting all around.

rod

Retired 22 years
How does UPS provide water to you and your co workers?

Inside employees?

Drivers?
Unless the water in the building has been proven to be BAD WHY should UPS have to do any more than provide good tap water out of a faucet? You want bottled water---bring it from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.