Where in contract book does seniority guarantee PT hours?

SpicyItalian739

Was sent home right at 3.5 when another employee was told to finish up. This was after the boss worked on and off the entire night because we were short handed one guy, even though we had a driver come in to help.

Told the boss in the future I want max hours as is my right as top seniority (18 years) on my sort. Was fed a line of crap that I'm only guaranteed 3.5 and he can cut anybody he wants after that, regardless of seniority. I punched out as instructed, but told him that his line is only valid for people trying to leave early. Right TO WORK, not right to not work and all that.

As I'm likely going to file, I would like to find the language in the contract book where I am guaranteed more hours than junior employees. I'm under the Central Region supplement.

clean hairy

It would most likely be in the supplement.
"When extra work (hours) are available, it shall be offered in seniority order"
This is from the Southern supplement, but should have something similiar in your supplement....

SpicyItalian739

I flipped through the Central supplement a few times but didn’t see that sort of language. Not sure why I’m missing it, but it’s gotta be somewhere.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
@bbsam @Monkey Butt @scratch

Could one of you guys move this to the union forum where someone in the central states like @Bubblehead or @BigUnionGuy might be able to help him.

Thanks ;)

I really like it, when people pay attention. :biggrin:

Was sent home right at 3.5 when another employee was told to finish up. This was after the boss worked on and off the entire night because we were short handed one guy, even though we had a driver come in to help.

Told the boss in the future I want max hours as is my right as top seniority (18 years) on my sort. Was fed a line of crap that I'm only guaranteed 3.5 and he can cut anybody he wants after that, regardless of seniority. I punched out as instructed, but told him that his line is only valid for people trying to leave early. Right TO WORK, not right to not work and all that.

As I'm likely going to file, I would like to find the language in the contract book where I am guaranteed more hours than junior employees. I'm under the Central Region supplement.

Article 3 section 16.

@SpicyItalian739

I can give you a definitive answer, with a little more information.

1) Had the junior employee completed their assigned work ?

2) Had the junior employee reached their 3.5 hours guarantee ?

3) Were you qualified to perform the work ?

And most importantly, as per @Bastiatian suggestion, was it "extra" work ?

Extra work, has been defined as unplanned or unscheduled work.

You have a clear case for supes working.

The company has an obligation to staff the operation. Period.

With more information, we can solve this issue for you.

-Bug-

SpicyItalian739

I really like it, when people pay attention. :biggrin:

@SpicyItalian739

I can give you a definitive answer, with a little more information.

1) Had the junior employee completed their assigned work ?

2) Had the junior employee reached their 3.5 hours guarantee ?

3) Were you qualified to perform the work ?

And most importantly, as per @Bastiatian suggestion, was it "extra" work ?

Extra work, has been defined as unplanned or unscheduled work.

You have a clear case for supes working.

The company has an obligation to staff the operation. Period.

With more information, we can solve this issue for you.

-Bug-

We're a very small center and usually only work 5-6 per night on our local sort. We both started at the same time, we both had hit 3.5 hours, we both were finished with our assigned work (I started on small sort and air car and he either unloaded or pulled, I can't remember that night, then went down to bag smalls). We're both qualified to do everything there.

The next day I told the sup I just wanted to get as many hours as I can in the future, and he defensively said "it was only 2 minutes, I don't see what the big deal is... besides, the only thing that matters is that you have the most hours at the end of the week."

I've heard that end of the week line before, but it isn't in line with how I read the contract. I read that extra work provision on a night to night basis, so I don't know where the sups are getting that. 2nd seniority guy stays for 3.5 every day but Friday, so I will always get more hours at the end of the week. We lost our biggest account back in January, so it's very rare that we go over 3.5 and this is my only job. Not sure why he's being a renob about it.

Well, after I bring it up again before work on Tuesday, he goes up to the number 5 guy in seniority and asks how confidently he feels about running small sort and air car by himself Friday. So now because I had the gall to ask for hours, I'm being demoted off the small sort. They're going to argue that small sort isn't a preferred job, I can see it coming already, even though I'm by far the fastest sorter (I have 18 years of experience after all, and most our other workers are at about 1 year). They're gonna shoot themselves in the foot to punish me, and since other dude isn't a good sorter (and probably never will be, by my estimation), I'm going to end up getting more hours. Hmmmm, wondering if I should even file for the preferred job if they're going to be that daft.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
When you're done filling out that grievance. Be sure to file one for Article 3 Section 7 of the Master for a supervisor working. Don't let that little chump push you around.
Some of these lil’ bitches need to be put in their place.... we have had sups fired because they have talked sht to feeder drivers in the hub checking on their loads...fact

RolloTony Brown Town

That’s ridiculous that your supervisor would pull that.

The supervisors working is a separate issue and if you don’t file then that’s on you.

You are guaranteed at least 3.5 and are entitled to more hours than anyone junior to you.

The only time I’ve seen a senior employee be forced to leave earlier is if they started early and hit 5 hours. So long as no one junior to you had worked overtime.

Daf

I flipped through the Central supplement a few times but didn’t see that sort of language. Not sure why I’m missing it, but it’s gotta be somewhere.
Under the section “extra work”. Also file on your supervisor working article 3 sec7 master agreement. Keep filing till they stop doing this. It will not stop on it’s own.

Daf

We're a very small center and usually only work 5-6 per night on our local sort. We both started at the same time, we both had hit 3.5 hours, we both were finished with our assigned work (I started on small sort and air car and he either unloaded or pulled, I can't remember that night, then went down to bag smalls). We're both qualified to do everything there.

The next day I told the sup I just wanted to get as many hours as I can in the future, and he defensively said "it was only 2 minutes, I don't see what the big deal is... besides, the only thing that matters is that you have the most hours at the end of the week."

I've heard that end of the week line before, but it isn't in line with how I read the contract. I read that extra work provision on a night to night basis, so I don't know where the sups are getting that. 2nd seniority guy stays for 3.5 every day but Friday, so I will always get more hours at the end of the week. We lost our biggest account back in January, so it's very rare that we go over 3.5 and this is my only job. Not sure why he's being a renob about it.

Well, after I bring it up again before work on Tuesday, he goes up to the number 5 guy in seniority and asks how confidently he feels about running small sort and air car by himself Friday. So now because I had the gall to ask for hours, I'm being demoted off the small sort. They're going to argue that small sort isn't a preferred job, I can see it coming already, even though I'm by far the fastest sorter (I have 18 years of experience after all, and most our other workers are at about 1 year). They're gonna shoot themselves in the foot to punish me, and since other dude isn't a good sorter (and probably never will be, by my estimation), I'm going to end up getting more hours. Hmmmm, wondering if I should even file for the preferred job if they're going to be that daft.
This is article 37. Your job being changed for enforcement of the contract. File!