Where to go?

bbsam

Staff member
We aren't talking about multi billion dollar companies. We are talking about a ground contractor. I'm sure if the OP presented it as such to the authorities, they might be more keen to investigate.

Even more doubtful. Then the agency is spending time and money they don't have to chase a small business that will never be able to pay hefty fines or face other tough sanctions.

hypo hanna

Even more doubtful. Then the agency is spending time and money they don't have to chase a small business that will never be able to pay hefty fines or face other tough sanctions.

​I would hope their motivation was more then the fines they might collect.

vantexan

Go to the authorities. That's fine. I'm just not sure how much proof of violation is needed before they will come in. I am a bit skeptical at th OPs assertion that this contractor holds a monopoly in the building and it is for exactly this reason. If the DOT is given sufficient cause and not just hearsay to investigate and what the OP says is true, the contractor and a good portion of the station staff will be gone in a morning. If the driver is wrong and the authorities find no such violation or reason to investigate, where does that leave the OP? Working for a contractor who's gunning for him? I find it odd that some people think all it takes is an anonymous call to OSHA or the DOT to get full scale investigations of multi-billion dollar companies. If it were that simple the agencies would be log jammed for years in this country. Maybe that's why Republicans love sequestration.

Sequestration was arrived at as a compromise in committee and passed by both houses and signed into law by President Obama. What the Democrats failed to realize was that the Republicans were serious that if they couldn't come up with spending cuts that made a serious dent in the debt then they were fine with sequestration.

bbsam

Staff member
I thought we were talking about DOT, OSHA and safety for the public and the employees. What does the IRS have to do with it?

It's a government agency with more important offenders to track down. Imagine if the DOT started investigating and only found very minor violations in most of the hundreds and hundreds of contractors. People would find it a huge waste of money.

hypo hanna

It's a government agency with more important offenders to track down. Imagine if the DOT started investigating and only found very minor violations in most of the hundreds and hundreds of contractors. People would find it a huge waste of money.

Thats just silly. Your are equating a dangerous trucking operation to a tax dodger?

First you say they won't be interested in investigating a large company because its too big, then you say they won't investigate a small operator because its too small. So what is the optimum size trucking company that inspires DOT to do its job? You seem to have some inside knowledge of this agency's inner workings.

bbsam

Staff member
Thats just silly. Your are equating a dangerous trucking operation to a tax dodger?

First you say they won't be interested in investigating a large company because its too big, then you say they won't investigate a small operator because its too small. So what is the optimum size trucking company that inspires DOT to do its job? You seem to have some inside knowledge of this agency's inner workings.
Let's put it this way. The DOT knows full well what Ground's FMSCA score is and still they don't bother investigating further. It would be nice to believe that government agencies would spare no expense to make sure that we are all safe. That's never the case. Cost/benefit always enters the picture. That's not inside knowledge, just simple observation and fairly obvious conclusions.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Sequestration was arrived at as a compromise in committee and passed by both houses and signed into law by President Obama. What the Democrats failed to realize was that the Republicans were serious that if they couldn't come up with spending cuts that made a serious dent in the debt then they were fine with sequestration.

As long as those spending cuts don't interfere with Republican pork.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Let's put it this way. The DOT knows full well what Ground's FMSCA score is and still they don't bother investigating further. It would be nice to believe that government agencies would spare no expense to make sure that we are all safe. That's never the case. Cost/benefit always enters the picture. That's not inside knowledge, just simple observation and fairly obvious conclusions.
Which means Fred's paid someone else off.

bbsam

Staff member
Or that due to careful structuring of the company with use of independent contractors that the enforcement agency faces an uphill battle. But all vehicles carry Ground's DOT number. I just think somehow Ground retains some measure of plausible deniability. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing a bunch of contractors axed. It's good for business.

overflowed

The Dot is not a cash strapped operation. They can care less if they pull over one of BBSAM's trucks or an express truck. When it comes to a government agency this has no bearing. Investigation the same. Unsafe is Unsafe. They get paid regardless.

bbsam

Staff member
The Dot is not a cash strapped operation. They can care less if they pull over one of BBSAM's trucks or an express truck. When it comes to a government agency this has no bearing. Investigation the same. Unsafe is Unsafe. They get paid regardless.

Pulling over is one thing, full scale investigation of a trucking company completely different.