Where to go?

STFXG

Piedmont, the contractor is 1099'd. The employee is w2'd and an employee of the contractor's corporation. As far as I know he'd be protected under whistleblower laws. Great advice.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Piedmont, the contractor is 1099'd. The employee is w2'd and an employee of the contractor's corporation. As far as I know he'd be protected under whistleblower laws. Great advice.

Really? I was under the impression that all or nearly all of the FedEx Ground/Home Delivery drivers were all 1099'd. If that's the case, it changes the rules of the game somewhat but not significantly. Whistle blower protections in an at-will employment environment are minimal and toothless.

What about the Fedex Alert line. Its is supposed to be annonymous and is manned by a third party. Supposed to be able to report all kinds of unethical behavior

STFXG

Really? I was under the impression that all or nearly all of the FedEx Ground/Home Delivery drivers were all 1099'd. If that's the case, it changes the rules of the game somewhat but not significantly. Whistle blower protections in an at-will employment environment are minimal and toothless.

Yeah it changed a few years ago when they required us to incorporate. Part of the contract is that all employees have to be treated as employees. We have yearly verification on employees and those not in compliance get their contracts terminated.

STFXG

That also includes myself. I'm required to be treated as an employee of my own corporation. Since I drive I pay myself and w2 myself. FedEx 1099s my corporation.

MAKAVELI

What about the Fedex Alert line. Its is supposed to be annonymous and is manned by a third party. Supposed to be able to report all kinds of unethical behavior
If you believe that then I got a great car to sell you, it's a Yugo. Just check the mailing address and phone number on that hotline. Straight to Memphis headquarters.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I highly suspect that the "Alert Line" is straight from FedEx Legal. Even if it isn't, it's meant to head off liability at the pass, not as a protection for employees. We don't mean squat.