Where would UPS rank?

beentheredonethat

Top 10 easy. Not comparing to hazardous just over all how hard the job is or stressful.

First off, I think that most jobs at UPS are demanding. (At least the ones I've had, which include driving.) I will grant you that when I drove it was before SSI, before Diad, etc so maybe my experience is outdated. But Top 5, top 10, top 20 I wouldn't put it in that category. Are there days it's tough, Heck Yes. Are there days when the weather makes it miserable, sure. But by and large, you only see your boss in the AM and PM. You get to interact with people, you aren't stuck inside a building doing a mindless job with no interaction. I spent time before working at UPS doing warehouse work (pick\pack) at another Teamster job, and I thought by the end of the summer, I couldn't imagine doing this job another month, let alone make a career out of it. I couldn't handle the boredom. Similarly, I had a job before UPS that manufactured paper bags etc. Again, that job was awful, no interaction, noisy, monotonous. I hated that job, but did it for money for college. I couldn't do that for years on end. So those are two jobs I had, and I'd much prefer the UPS driving jobs to those.

Also, I think it funny, many people have said, that hiring a new kid out of college with an engineering degree and giving him\her a clipboard doesn't give them the right to time study the drivers. They don't know what it's really like etc etc. They have to do our job first before they can understand it etc.
Yet many of the same people who say that, can say we are one of the hardest jobs. Again, not many jobs before UPS (I started UPS young). But I have two I would put as "harder" or worse then UPS driving. Can't speak of others that I haven't done.

I saw satellite driver saying that certain jobs he had in the past were a lot tougher or worse then his driving job. Again, to me, that's the real test. I find it hard that it's that bad, or else people would leave for a better job. But very few drivers leave. I know pay is good, but pay isn't everything.

Overpaid Union Thug

I don't think driving is hard at all. Just drive safely, park safely, enter package car safely, find package safely, get out of truck safely, deliver package safely, then return to truck safely and repeat all of those actions over and over until you are done. Driving doesn't even compare to unloading and loading. Hour for hour (like saying pound for pound) unloading/loading is 10 times harder than driving. You have to work faster and the movements are more constant.

S

speeddemon

I don't think driving is hard at all. Just drive safely, park safely, enter package car safely, find package safely, get out of truck safely, deliver package safely, then return to truck safely and repeat all of those actions over and over until you are done. Driving doesn't even compare to unloading and loading. Hour for hour (like saying pound for pound) unloading/loading is 10 times harder than driving. You have to work faster and the movements are more constant.

Obviously, you have no clue. I preloaded for 7 years and I wish I could do that full time other than drive.

bratman61

My brother owns a roofing company. I've helped him from time to time, and that job just sucks it's hard, hot and dirty and there are some steep roofs out there. I'll take Delivering packages any day.

Overpaid Union Thug

Obviously, you have no clue. I preloaded for 7 years and I wish I could do that full time other than drive.

Whatever. I don't need a clue. I have all the information I need and that info is experience. Driving is the easiest job I've ever had. Driving is only hard when people let it get that way. When you do each job at UPS by the methods, or at least safely, driving is the easiest.

drewed

Shankman
Whatever. I don't need a clue. I have all the information I need and that info is experience. Driving is the easiest job I've ever had. Driving is only hard when people let it get that way. When you do each job at UPS by the methods, or at least safely, driving is the easiest.
I think this proves the point its in the eye of the beholder, I may think roofing/landscaping is a breeze and think unload sucks and somebody else thinks the exact opossite

DS

Fenderbender
I think this proves the point its in the eye of the beholder, I may think roofing/landscaping is a breeze and think unload sucks and somebody else thinks the exact opossite
Drewed ,have you ever walked up aladder in over 110 degree heat 50 times with 60 lbs of roofing tiles? Then proceed to rip the old crap off and do the job? Its pretty freakin hard.
Landscaping is gay,theres shade.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer

Must have been a pre-load sup, then, 'cause the loading / unloading is the most physically demanding job at UPS, by far.

I'm not at all saying driving is cake, just that by saying it is one of the 10 toughest jobs out there is is insulting to those that do really hard physical labor for a living. Go farm for a day. Do construction, framing, commercial plumbing. A treeman. Do those for a day, you'll beg to go back to package delivery.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
And it actually is somewhat guaranteed. Each boat is given a max quota they can catch - they stay out one week to 3 months until that quota is met, whatever it takes. They don't come in until that quota is met.

And, FYI, Commercial fishing DOES hold the #1 spot for most dangerous / most physically demanding job on the planet

satellitedriver

I am beholding to you, to point that wisdom out.
:wink2:,get it?
This is a quasi - opinion poll.
Nothing can be proved, or disproved, when talking opinions.

drewed

Shankman
And it actually is somewhat guaranteed. Each boat is given a max quota they can catch - they stay out one week to 3 months until that quota is met, whatever it takes. They don't come in until that quota is met.

And, FYI, Commercial fishing DOES hold the #1 spot for most dangerous / most physically demanding job on the planet

And if they dont catch their quota in 3 months then there SOL so its not guaranteed

drewed

Shankman
Drewed ,have you ever walked up aladder in over 110 degree heat 50 times with 60 lbs of roofing tiles? Then proceed to rip the old crap off and do the job? Its pretty freakin hard.
Landscaping is gay,theres shade.

I was just using that as an example DS personally landscaping probably was the hardest thing i did, setting retaining walls, changing grades type stuff

Moneythehardway

I surely can say that loading or unloading 10,000 boxes (more or less depending on your centers' volume and what trailers you're in) in 3 to 4 hours in trailers that are hot enough to fry chicken not to mention boxes that weigh, on average 30 to 130 lbs EACH CONSTANTLY (that means non stop, not working at your own pace like most jobs).

Yeah, roofing and just a very few more may beat us out but otherwise, all of us our ARMY STRONG

upsgrunt

That one captain of the ship "The Cornelia Marie" drank like, 30 Red Bulls, 12 cups of coffee, and smoked 2 packs of fags in 24 hours. That right there is insane.

rod

Retired 22 years
When I was 12 and 13 I worked at a mink ranch. One part of the job was shoveling stinky runny mink crap into a wheelbarrow and pushing it up a 2 X 12 plank into the back of an old pickup. Although I made good money (12 bucks a day) it never made my list of jobs I wanted to do the rest of my working days. :wink2: