Where's Waldo? Secretly writing a new contract...

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Same applies in my state, it's called a one consent state, a protected right but not necessarily in the private sector.

@Lead Belly I do not doubt what you are saying and I know I'm going to sound like Integrity but in the spirit of promoting discussion and good arguments, I have to wonder if you live in a multiple consent state and that's the reason people were fired for recording due to not getting the consent from all parties involved.

Also I know several companies have this no recording stance to protect themselves from corporate espionage to protect their trade secrets, privileged communique, and material equipment. In that example, the conversation being recorded does not contain any of the above mentioned precursors. I understand what you are saying in the sense that recording while at work could and or does fall under insubordination because UPS is saying not to. For now, good writing and notes I guess.
If you aren't a Steward you won't have the protections of one so do it surreptitiously (and yes the laws in your state matter, mine is also a one party state). Nothing said in a disciplinary meeting falls under propriatary or intellectual property etc. As a Steward I would have a serious problem with Management asking you to "sit in" in place of a Steward regardless of how strong Union you are. That is not representation. I would get all of your motivated members to go down to the Hall and demand, not ask, for a Stewards election.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Worst advice ever. Ups has a strict no recording policy. I would not take your advice nor would I put it on a message board for others to follow. Its irresponsible. You will lose your job 100% of the time at panel if you record anything as far as conversations go with a recorder. I've seen it time and again.

Anyone that offers that kind of advice....

Isn't aware of a very well documented case.

http://teamstersonline.com/forums/parcel-small-package-division/5102-darker-side-brown.html

The guy had an entire website devoted to it.

The issue went all the way through the court system. He lost.

-Bug-

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Worst advice ever. Ups has a strict no recording policy. I would not take your advice nor would I put it on a message board for others to follow. Its irresponsible. You will lose your job 100% of the time at panel if you record anything as far as conversations go with a recorder. I've seen it time and again.

Let me clarify that I'm recomending recording surreptitiously for anyone so inclined, not to be as bold about it as I was. Not for fear of termination, but because Management will not speak candidly (and you want them to). Take notes too and use recordings to add clarity later. Our local has used recordings many times to correct the record, and not once person has been fired. Video + audio mostly. Hell I have tons of text messages from Management asking me to video other supervisors.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Anyone that offers that kind of advice....

Isn't aware of a very well documented case.

http://teamstersonline.com/forums/parcel-small-package-division/5102-darker-side-brown.html

The guy had an entire website devoted to it.

The issue went all the way through the court system. He lost.

-Bug-
I'm aware of that case, it's old news. Technology changed the game, every smartphone is a recorder, video recorder, and camera now. Not the case in 2003. That website isn't even valid anymore.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Thanks for the refresher, especially the part where UPS admits there is "no policy" and that he was discharged for violating a Maryland law. Arizona is a one-party state, meaning only I have to know recordings are being made.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
and like I said, every smartphone is a recording device. They tried years ago banning us from bringing in camera phones, and we shot that down because management all had camera phones and now every phone is a camera phone so the policy was effectively null and void.

and like I said, every smartphone is a recording device. They tried years ago banning us from bringing in camera phones, and we shot that down because management all had camera phones and now every phone is a camera phone so the policy was effectively null and void.
Advising people to record is bad judgment. Members will see it here and be brazen about it with management. Most members don't have the financial means to fight ups for the long hall. You opening up this pandora' shod is irresponsible. Just saying.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
That's why you are my bro bug. I was looking for it but couldn't find it. Thanks brother.

Just trying to help.

Technology changed the game, every smartphone is a recorder, video recorder, and camera now. Not the case in 2003.

1ghame.jpg

No doubt about that.

The bigger travesty is that Mr. O'Shea seems to feel he could act as his own lawyer.

Obviously, he couldn't afford one.

Or.... he thought, he was smart enough to pull it off.

He was consistent about one thing.

Bashing everyone.

The Union, the company, and the courts.

Generally speaking;

Locker room lawyers.... are just that.

Kinda like TDU.

"Full of themselves".

After all.... it's not "their" job, on the line.

Think about it.

-Bug-

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
whats a BM? sounds like what I do every morning.

this BS speech must have worked on a lot of drivers previously. that's what he means by past practice. past practice BS doesn't count tell him.