Where's Waldo? Secretly writing a new contract...

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
The other day I was asked to sit in while another driver asked to be on the 9.5 list. (Due to recent intimidation tactics and no steward available) Armed with a generally pisspoor attitude and my trusty pocket recorder, I started recording just in case the driver got harassed about being added. What transpired next utterly disgusted me...

BM to driver (verbatim)
So you want to be on the 9.5 list? Well the way the 9.5 language works is by 3pm everyday you will send a message if you're gonna be over 9.5. Then, I will be over 9.5, I'll need help with X amount of stops in X location, whatever it is, you got to be very specific. If you don't give up enough work and you're still over 9.5, that is on you but if you give up too much work and you come in right at 8 hours well that ain't gonna work either. That make sense?

And another thing, if you don't send in a message by 3pm and you go over 9.5 that's on you as well as it's failure to work as directed cuz I'm instructing you in front of your union rep if you're gonna go over 9.5 to message in. So you no longer have the right to work over 9.5 without approval. Make sense? Do you understand the rules?

Before the driver could sign the form, I asked the BM where in the contract does it stipulate all this. He stated those were the rules and from past practice. I asked for copies of this agreement between the union and UPS and he tells me and the driver we can contact the union hall off the clock to get this information.

The driver signed the 9.5 list so he wouldn't have to wait another week to get on the list but I know of no such agreement in the NM or the Central supplement. Our steward isn't even on the 9.5 list and he is sleeping with the management (figuratively not literally). I say it's an article 37 grievance for over supervision and advised the driver to call the union and file as such.

Thoughts?

Cementups

Box Monkey
Not sure what a BM is but he is wrong. Your BM is also trying to bully your driver. That's a no-no.

Driver is to be dispatched with enough work to come in under 9.5. Any corrections throughout the day are up to management. It is not an hourlies job to decide how much work he needs to carry throughout the day. Many different circumstances can make one day so much different from the next.

The other day I was asked to sit in while another driver asked to be on the 9.5 list. (Due to recent intimidation tactics and no steward available) Armed with a generally pisspoor attitude and my trusty pocket recorder, I started recording just in case the driver got harassed about being added. What transpired next utterly disgusted me...

BM to driver (verbatim)
So you want to be on the 9.5 list? Well the way the 9.5 language works is by 3pm everyday you will send a message if you're gonna be over 9.5. Then, I will be over 9.5, I'll need help with X amount of stops in X location, whatever it is, you got to be very specific. If you don't give up enough work and you're still over 9.5, that is on you but if you give up too much work and you come in right at 8 hours well that ain't gonna work either. That make sense?

And another thing, if you don't send in a message by 3pm and you go over 9.5 that's on you as well as it's failure to work as directed cuz I'm instructing you in front of your union rep if you're gonna go over 9.5 to message in. So you no longer have the right to work over 9.5 without approval. Make sense? Do you understand the rules?

Before the driver could sign the form, I asked the BM where in the contract does it stipulate all this. He stated those were the rules and from past practice. I asked for copies of this agreement between the union and UPS and he tells me and the driver we can contact the union hall off the clock to get this information.

The driver signed the 9.5 list so he wouldn't have to wait another week to get on the list but I know of no such agreement in the NM or the Central supplement. Our steward isn't even on the 9.5 list and he is sleeping with the management (figuratively not literally). I say it's an article 37 grievance for over supervision and advised the driver to call the union and file as such.

Thoughts?
FYI you could be fired for good for recording any conversations while on ups property. Don't tell anyone you did this.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not sure what a BM is but he is wrong. Your BM is also trying to bully your driver. That's a no-no.

Driver is to be dispatched with enough work to come in under 9.5. Any corrections throughout the day are up to management. It is not an hourlies job to decide how much work he needs to carry throughout the day. Many different circumstances can make one day so much different from the next.

BM is a Business Manager, who is the same as a Center Manager.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
All that is bunch of bull. Get on the list and file every week. If he instructs you to give him advanced notice you'll be over 9.5, send a message 15 mins after your first stop you might be over. If he demands you give specific stops you need taken off, take half your stop count and send it in as the required amount. If he asks for a specific location, tell him any driver is welcome to meet you at your truck at dispatch time to take stops.

scooby0048

All that is bunch of bull. Get on the list and file every week. If he instructs you to give him advanced notice you'll be over 9.5, send a message 15 mins after your first stop you might be over. If he demands you give specific stops you need taken off, take half your stop count and send it in as the required amount. If he asks for a specific location, tell him any driver is welcome to meet you at your truck at dispatch time to take stops.

The stipulation that the driver call in I can see so at least they can get stops off but to tell the driver they need to know how much work to give off to stay under 9.5 but not less than 8 is total BS. I'd like to know where the guy gets off giving this crap. C'mon failing to work as directed if the driver doesn't call in....Just another harassment technique.

Overpaid Union Thug

BM to driver (verbatim)

Thoughts?
What is this "signing the form" crap? I've never had to sign anything other than the grievance. It's as simple as filing to get on the list the first week I'm over 9.5 more than two days and again for each week if happens after.

scooby0048

What is this "signing the form" crap? I've never had to sign anything other than the grievance. It's as simple as filing to get on the list the first week I'm over 9.5 more than two days and again for each week if happens after.

Well it's not so much a form as it is a list that someone made with MS Word and has the driver's name, date of opting in, expiration date, and center manager signature. Nothing official if that's where you're going.

Overpaid Union Thug

Well it's not so much a form as it is a list that someone made with MS Word and has the driver's name, date of opting in, expiration date, and center manager signature. Nothing official if that's where you're going.
We have something like that. But it's all done by them and we don't sign. We don't have to meet with anyone but the steward and that's to hand him/her the grievance.

scooby0048

We have something like that. But it's all done by them and we don't sign. We don't have to meet with anyone but the steward and that's to hand him/her the grievance.

Like I said, our steward is in bed with management and the few of us willing to stir the water are far out numbered by those that just want to roll over and take it. It's a small center and it really makes things hard for those of us just trying to be treated fairly. The center manager makes shstuff up as he goes along and the local either does not get involved on purpose or just doesn't care.

Good info, our state is a one consent state as far as recording goes but I suppose private sector can make up their own rules.
Damn skippy. People caught recording at ups get fired and when it goes to panel they never get their jobs back. I realize a lot of states have specific laws but it is strictly forbidden by ups. It's in their code of conduct. For those that say where is it in the contract it's not but if you want to test it do it and let them know you recorded a conversation while at work on their property. Then let us know how that works out for you.

Overpaid Union Thug

Like I said, our steward is in bed with management and the few of us willing to stir the water are far out numbered by those that just want to roll over and take it. It's a small center and it really makes things hard for those of us just trying to be treated fairly. The center manager makes shstuff up as he goes along and the local either does not get involved on purpose or just doesn't care.

I'm in a small center too and we don't play that. Even when we weren't as union minded as we've gotten lately.

scooby0048

Damn skippy. People caught recording at ups get fired and when it goes to panel they never get their jobs back. I realize a lot of states have specific laws but it is strictly forbidden by ups. It's in their code of conduct. For those that say where is it in the contract it's not but if you want to test it do it and let them know you recorded a conversation while at work on their property. Then let us know how that works out for you.
Oh I'm not doubting you or arguing about recording, it's good info to know. Guess I will have to just write things down the old fashioned way.