Which cover songs are better than the original?

menotyou

bella amicizia
Fixed it, I think. Is that how you want it?

Yes, thank you. I was in the middle of posting it and the screen disappearred. Brought it back up and only T Rex posted and I can't post from my computer, again. I think it's time I break down and bury my old friend, the bubble mac. I hate giving her up. She had been a faithful friend.

P

pickup

Explain cover song.

Sometimes a cover song is the one that is the hit while the original was barely noticed. One example is the song "(They long to be) Close to You" which most people associate with The Carpenters.

The song was initially recorded by Richard Chamberlain(Dr. Kildaire) in 1963. It was also done by Dionne Warwick in the mid 60s. Burt Bacarach even recorded his own tune (he wrote the song) in 1968.

However, it wasn't until the Carpenters recorded it in 1970 that it broke through and dominated top 40 for a while and then became a mainstay of lite stations for many years to come.

Same deal with that song that Whitney Houston made popular "I IIIIIIIIIEIIIII will always love you" . The song was recorded years earlier by Dolly Parton.

Last edited by a moderator:

texan

Yes, thank you. I was in the middle of posting it and the screen disappearred. Brought it back up and only T Rex posted and I can't post from my computer, again. I think it's time I break down and bury my old friend, the bubble mac. I hate giving her up. She had been a faithful friend.

I know it hurts to get rid it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yes cashs hurt is maybe the best cover ever. The writer from NIN admitted he was jealous when he heard cash version. He said its not my song anymore it's his I wrote but it will forever be a Johnny cash song now.

bluehdmc

Bob Dylan gifted "All along the Watctower" to Jimi Hendrix.

CSNY is the more popular version but Joni Mitchell's "Woodstock" (she wrote it) is also great.

"Crazy" done by Patsy Cline.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Judas Priest did a remake of "The Green Manalishi With the Two Pronged Crown" that was a lot better than the original Fleetwood Mac song.