Which should i take?

instantK

I have a chance to become a ups driver and goto training
and i got a job offer at a company that does wiring, computer testing. ( i have a degree in IT)
Problem is IT job pays 14.50, and wont go up much higher. The company is new and growing, but does have potential to be successful or it could fail like any other start up company in todays uncertain economy.
BOth jobs have there pros and cons but i just cant make up my mind...

I could see myself being a driver, but after i Qualify im betting on only driving a little during summer and peak and it'll take at least 1-2 years until im driving daily.

Thoughts, opinions?

You said it yourself: there are pros and cons with each job. It seems to me though, the IT job would have more promise in the future. You could hook up with many different companies and work in their IT departments. With driving, you'll be doing that unless you go into management. Either way, I wish you all the best.

fethrs

Think also about what you like to do. If you drive you will be dealing with the public, customers on a daily basis and management too. The weather can be an issue, sometimes hot, cold, wet.
Or is IT your passion?
There are so many variables to look at... think think think about them.
You'll get lots responses from bcers here, some good, some bad, and some that don't have anything to do with your post.
Good luck.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I would take the IT job, it has chance for growth, the more experience the better for moving up. Once a driver, your options are hit top rate and stay or go into mgmt, possibly IT at ups, but no guarantees. Use your degree, your brain, and not your brawn. The brain, and degree mean nothing once you go driving, IMHO. You will find it hard to leave, and you will have many lean paychecks since they decide to cut routes and cut you off from a day of driving. And you get older, and it gets harder to leave, and your degree gets stale. Use what you worked for, in college, and have a nice day.

old levi's

blank space
There are no guarantees when you will start driving. I had to wait 13 years.

Reread tooner's post. (above) Then read it again and again and again.

old levi's

blank space
I would take the IT job, it has chance for growth, the more experience the better for moving up. Once a driver, your options are hit top rate and stay or go into mgmt, possibly IT at ups, but no guarantees. Use your degree, your brain, and not your brawn. The brain, and degree mean nothing once you go driving, IMHO. You will find it hard to leave, and you will have many lean paychecks since they decide to cut routes and cut you off from a day of driving. And you get older, and it gets harder to leave, and your degree gets stale. Use what you worked for, in college, and have a nice day.

and it gets harder to get out of bed in the morning and................................

A

anonymous6

the IT job has better potential for growth and opportunity even if the pay is less to start with. also it would be wiser to use your brain rather than muscle which will break down after awhile.

also IT people with brains can work for themselves on the side and make darn good money.

BTW, I told my sons they can NOT work for UPS.

tourists24

Not too many years ago I heard a saying that has always stuck with me: "Find something you love to do, then find a way to make money at it". I wish I would have followed this advice when I was younger. Do what your love is no matter the smaller paycheck

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Do what you love and you'll be the richest man in the world. If you went to school to get an IT degree because it interested you and you like solving problems (My understanding of what the bulk of IT work is) you have your answer. If you got an IT degree just because you needed to study something while in school, and, you like to work hard then driving for UPS has its rewards. GREAT pay with GREAT bennies while working for a company that will be around for a very long time.

UPSGUY72

I would think about what is important to you ? With UPS you are going to have a job in the long term that pays very well and has great benefits. You said that IT job is a pays low and might or might not pan out. Money isn't the deciding factor for some people picking jobs some people like what they do and the amount of money they make doesn't matter.

Just remember one thing that once you quit UPS you are not going to get another job with UPS in the future. So if this IT job doesn't pan out than you will be looking for work somewhere other than UPS.

Start pay for UPS driver is:

start 16.10
senority 30 days 17.25
12 months 18.45
24 months 20.75
36 months Top rate

menotyou

bella amicizia
If you stay with UPS, make sure you take care of your health because that is your only guarantee that you will survive here. Working in IT, I am assuming you won't break your back, literally.

Either way, make sure you enjoy it. Retirement is a long way away.:happy-very:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I have a chance to become a ups driver and goto training
and i got a job offer at a company that does wiring, computer testing. ( i have a degree in IT)
Problem is IT job pays 14.50, and wont go up much higher. The company is new and growing, but does have potential to be successful or it could fail like any other start up company in todays uncertain economy.
BOth jobs have there pros and cons but i just cant make up my mind...

I could see myself being a driver, but after i Qualify im betting on only driving a little during summer and peak and it'll take at least 1-2 years until im driving daily.

Thoughts, opinions?

Try it as a UPS driver. I switched from IT/tech to UPS , it took 2-3 years of on/off FT work and odd jobs, but it has been a fun ride.

25TOLIFE

Driving at UPS is more like a job you wind up doing rather than a job you would choose. The job was better years ago when I first started. Now I find it amazing that the company still finds ways to make the job worse........2 years , 5 months , 2 days , 7 hours , 30 seconds until I can retire................sums it up

Mike0203

I say try out UPS first. Your going to be PT when you start out anyways and meanwhile get your certifcations which are much needed in the IT world. Do you love IT? I am just finishing my 4 year MIS degree and just started working for UPS freight. Hell I am considering driving myself because in the IT world you need experience and certifications, which I dont have. Its up to you. I honestly did IT because it interested me but now that I am on my last semester I realized that I am just not into it. But atleast I can say I have a degree. Also, technology is always changing so what you learn now in school may be outdated in a couple years. GL with whatever you choose.

instantK

Thank you for all the good replies

im 27.

I plan on taking the IT job full time and stay at ups.
I figured I can't go wrong keeping both.
If the IT isnt working out in a few months I can focus more on UPS.
We'll see what happens in the future.
thanks again.