Whiteboard ad campaign a failure

cylvrbond

I am a package driver at Aliso Viejo CA. I am embarassed by our recent whiteboard ad campaign. A guy drawing stick figures is an insult to our customers. How did we miss informing the public about our 100 year anniversary. I have been waving at the UPS driver since I was a child in Chicago 40 years ago. Today I get waved at by young and old alike, why, because we've been around so long and are trusted in the community. Why not an ad campaign reflecting just that. FedEx has some great ads lately, even spending big bucks on special effects. WE,VE GOT A GUY DRAWING STICK FIGURES!!!!! Who is in charge of advertising for UPS. I know I can do a much better job! Does anyone else see this travesty?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Welcome, Cylvrbond. Much better weather in Aliso Viejo than in Chicago, eh?

My deliveries (once in awhile) come out of your building.:happy-very:

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
My only question about the "White Board" campaign has been why UPS employs a guy with hair down to his shoulders to do their advertising. If you or I came in to work with hair that long we would be told to go home until we got it cut off.
Supposedly we can't wear long hair or beards because of reputation standards but they use this on national TV to represent the company? Maybe I am making too much of this. Just struck me as weird from the first time I saw a white board commercial.

DS

Fenderbender
I didn't think they were that bad.You can't do it anymore ,but you used to be able to send an e-mail to someone and he would write what you typed.I sent one to moreluck requesting her hubby come out of retirement and relocate to Iowa.(not that theres anything wrong with Iowa)She almost went for it.I was gonna send the link but it has been replaced with other crap.I had to get my hair cut too when I started .

worldwide

DorkHead

My only question about the "White Board" campaign has been why UPS employs a guy with hair down to his shoulders to do their advertising. If you or I came in to work with hair that long we would be told to go home until we got it cut off.
Supposedly we can't wear long hair or beards because of reputation standards but they use this on national TV to represent the company? Maybe I am making too much of this. Just struck me as weird from the first time I saw a white board commercial.

I believe that long haired guy is the person that came up with the Whiteboard Ads. idea.

I like them. they are short and to the point.

satellitedriver

I am a package driver at Aliso Viejo CA. I am embarassed by our recent whiteboard ad campaign. A guy drawing stick figures is an insult to our customers. How did we miss informing the public about our 100 year anniversary. I have been waving at the UPS driver since I was a child in Chicago 40 years ago. Today I get waved at by young and old alike, why, because we've been around so long and are trusted in the community. Why not an ad campaign reflecting just that. FedEx has some great ads lately, even spending big bucks on special effects. WE,VE GOT A GUY DRAWING STICK FIGURES!!!!! Who is in charge of advertising for UPS. I know I can do a much better job! Does anyone else see this travesty?
When you get the advertising gig for UPS, PM me.
I have a great concept for a Christmas commercial.
My concept will make all the corporate points and use nostalgia, to close the deal.
Until that happens, I will just smile and wave.

wily_old_vet

If I'm not mistaken the gentleman in the ad is the head of the company. Also it is extremely hard to do what he does. That he makes it look easy is a testament to him

FAVREFAN

The Whiteboard ads have been a big success. And the long hair......part of his individualism. Guys like that are usually pretty creative. I quit judging people negatively by their hair length when I was 10.

currahee

If the ads are a success great. Thats good for the company,I personally dont like the ads and rather see something more along the lines of a Fed Ex commercial.

over9five

Staff member
I'm with Currahee. Personally I hate those adds. Most [-]normal[/-] blue collar people hate them, too. But they say they are a great success with the white collar people who actually make the decision on what company to use for their shipping.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
To only target one segment of the population is a business stratagy that works for UPS. It is not meant to pull on the heart strings of the average public.

Take the beer commercials. Playing to the different segment totally, so that type of commercial works for them.

That being said, the Fedex commercials are very popular, and they are pulling in large accounts with them.

Maybe do two types........

d

FAVREFAN

I'm with Currahee. Personally I hate those adds. Most [-]normal[/-] blue collar people hate them, too. But they say they are a great success with the white collar people who actually make the decision on what company to use for their shipping.
You've just nailed it. I'm allright with the ads. The multimillionaires that own companies like the ads.......that's what matters.

wily_old_vet

9.5-Good thing you scratched out normal, I would have hated to start a flame war:wink2::wink2: