Who are the women drivers???

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
use a solid pkg like a box of copy paper or somthing simalir i'm 6;1 and i couldn't even reach top shlf in the ''pit''

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
use a solid pkg like a box of copy paper or somthing simalir i'm 6;1 and i couldn't even reach top shlf in the ''pit''

I'd need 5 or 6 boxes of paper to get high enough. Sometimes I have a big solid bos I can at least help balance on. Isn't all of this pretty ridiculous though? Safety first right?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Has anyone ever noticed those yellow molded plastic steps that local sort uses to load the feeders? They use them to reach the higher portions of the 'wall'. I have been told and supposedly we have some on order, per safety man, that they are making a smaller version of those steps for the drivers to use in the trucks. I have not seen them yet but I will check again to see what's up. Check with your safety dep't.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
What a nighmare that would be, my loader can't find room for packages in any logical order, I sure don't need that monster in my truck. If it's where I can I lay down the handtruck and stand on it.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
What a nighmare that would be, my loader can't find room for packages in any logical order, I sure don't need that monster in my truck. If it's where I can I lay down the handtruck and stand on it.
If you mean the step then it's not as big as the ones you see in the feeders. They are smaller, I'm guessing maybe half the size. (not sure though, haven't seen them yet) They sure would be handy in some of the trucks esp. those that have a drop down rear deck. I have to climb on shelves to reach pkgs in those trucks. You might have to bounce them around a couple of times in the am until you make room to get them out of the way but I think it would be worth it in the long run.

rod

Retired 22 years
We have a short gal that used an empty 5 gal. bucket to stand on for years. Everyone understood it was a big no no to remover her bucket from her package car.

WyoBrown

I was a preloader for a year and one of my drivers, a female was not exactly tall...so I custom loaded the truck for her. No smalls behind the large on the top, back shelf etc. A good preloader should be able to help alot.

helenofcalifornia

For my rehab, after my knee was of some use, I tried a spinning (cycle) class and that kicked my ass. I thought I was in fairly good shape, but I was as sore as I have ever been. Excellent cardio and fat burning. I felt as sore as I do when I return to work after an extended time off. Running in the pool is good too. Yeah, I know what you mean about being bored when off work. Good luck in your rehab.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Is the cast removable?
Do you have access to a pool?
I find it interesting how quickly pro athletes come back after some pretty major injuries. I think one of the things they do is jog in a pool (they actually have underwater treadmills)
I guess the idea is that you can keep muscle tone, even in the broken leg.
Keep in mind that free advice is usually worth what you pay for it.:happy2:
Insist on water therapy. I kept breaking my ankle until I went to water therapy, other therapy, didnt do a thing. Id go back to work and break it again. 10 yrs, no rebreaks, thanks to water therapy.
Did I mention water therapy?

DS

Fenderbender
We have a new girl ft driver hired off the street.
Shes been with us almost a year now.Shes probobly 125 pounds tops.
I tried to be supportive from the start,and we all helped her figure out that when using the diad,(we still take cash) when doing cod's,do it right the first time.
Anyways,about her 2nd week ,I saw her in her 1975 P500(I know),and asked ,is it getting any easier? She was livid.She says NO I'm sure they are trying to make me quit! I said its not you.They do this to everybody every day,you are not special.I said come and see MY truck,It was just jammed front to back.She shook her head and said,how do you do this every day.I said,all they want is for you to run scratch once.
Some day soon you will have a good day when everything just falls into place.Sure enough,she did,and now she's a full time driver waiting 1 1/2 more years to get on top rate.
Its been said before that being a ups driver is not for everyone.
I bet less than 5% of all north american ups drivers are women.
It takes a special girl to be a ups driver.

WyoBrown

Kept breaking your ankle? I am in the company of some tough *ss people! I'll talk to my Dr about water therapy, sounds nice actually.

The probationary period is hell. I worked so hard to get to 22 stops an hour and still felt like that wasn't good enough. Then the center manager put me on a new route (mid prob period)...w/ an out of state on car who didnt know the route either. Take a wild guess, still delivering @ 7:45p...snowing, icy as hell...yep, slipped on a rolled curb now out for 2 mo and get to do the probationary BS all over again (unless the union wins the seniority grievance). So, yeah...it does feel like sabotage at times but... I'll BE BACK!

helenofcalifornia

That probationary wage is such a ripoff for the newbie. One of my good friends at work is just topping off after 2 1/2 years. He goes from $18 to $28. I can only imagine what a difference $10 an hour will make on his paycheck. Just in time too, since with all the mortgage BS out here in California, his wife was layed (laid???) off. We compared paychecks a couple of years ago and he was only taking home $300 a week. I understand why UPS does this so they can remain competitive with other shipping companies. But .....

I can understand why UP$ does that too, but I can't understand why the Union agrees. I think a one year progression would be about right as most new hires that aren't gonna stay leave in the first year. After a year you are as good or better as any vet.

georgia peach

I don't no why my stewart is mad at me. We had a meeting one of the big guys was there when I walked up, She walked over and starting talking to him I knew she was talking about me I went to start my shift when I started to work, The big guy came up to me and asked me if I had alterd my shorts I said yes only a 1/2 inch i'm short waisted.
He said i couldnt alter my uniform they need to be 2-3 inches above the knee which they were. He also told me to button my top button. I am not a bicccccc I try to get a long with everyone including my managers
I want to do my job and go home i have a family to support. I do what ever they ask. I no there not my friends and I watch my back. That is why i joined the union. I concider them as my LAWYERS!! If I get in trouble I will call them. I told my manager what they said about my uniform he looked and said he did not have a problem with it. He said she was jealous and that she wants me to be on her side. I'm not on anyones side. I don't have any proof it just my "thoughts". I don't no how much power she has. I no what its liked to be disliked. I never though it would be by the union.
any suggestions.

xkingx

ha GP, tell the big man to come 2 my center..theres a guy whose shorts look like daisy dukes and alot of our male drivers roll up their sleves..

BTW female driver here with 18 years

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We don't have any 'skippy' types but we do have one that let's his pants ride down (drives me crazy). I keep wanting to tell him to pull his pants up. I can't stand the 'gangsta' (is that right?) look. My middle son and I had battles at length about that when he was still at home.

WyoBrown

Ha! Skippies and gangstas in brown make a center all that more interesting! We have guy that LOVES his long straggly blond hair, so much so that he wears a brn beanie everyday to avoid having to cut it. Cant wait until mid summer when its 105 in back of the truck and hes roasting in his beanie. Me? Im all about comfort...pony tail, short sleeves and shorts suit me just fine! C' on summertime!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Ha! Skippies and gangstas in brown make a center all that more interesting! We have guy that LOVES his long straggly blond hair, so much so that he wears a brn beanie everyday to avoid having to cut it. Cant wait until mid summer when its 105 in back of the truck and hes roasting in his beanie. Me? Im all about comfort...pony tail, short sleeves and shorts suit me just fine! C' on summertime!
HERE HERE YEA summertime. The only thing I do different is the hair. I don't like dealing with long hair so I keep mine cut short. Very short.