bigtiddy-_-

I've been a package handler for UPS since November of last year and recently starting in May, I've noticed how much harder the work has gotten due to a couple reasons. Lack of functional equipment, lack of workers, and poor management. Let me first state that I am no lazy worker, I have been complemented by supervisors multiple times for being able to do almost impossible task, one of those task being able to load over 1,000 packages with no misloads in the course of a couple hours. Anyways for my first point in regards to the lack of functional equipment, our rollers and the stands for those rollers have been beaten so bad that they are almost unusable. Half of the stands have snapped in half and the rolls to the rollers constantly fall out and waste huge amounts of time. Not only are the rollers and stands a nuisance but so are our scanners as well. Every morning when I try to set one up, it will refuse to turn on. After awhile when I finally get the scanners set up for my trucks, they will turn off and disconnect themselves every chance they get, making it a harder task to scan surepost, especially in a rush. We have been promised new scanners for months now, but have received nothing. Now to my second point in regards to the lack of workers. For some reason UPS has decided to not have any sort of interview in the hiring process for the position, so we tend to hire people who are "unfit" for the job and because of that, multiple people have just walked out on us, leaving the rest to pick up the slack. The lack of workers has been such a huge problem that almost everyone who still works here has to load 4 to 5 trucks everyday. One of the employees is being threatend with suspension due to misloads but has to load almost 1,000 packages everyday and it's hard to keep up with. My last point is in regards to poor management. For example, I was unloading trailer one time with another guy and we were 30 minutes ahead of schedule, however management came down and told me to dump bags until told otherwise. So we ended up being late because the guy in the trailer couldn't keep up the PPH by himself. Another example of poor management actually happeneded this morning. At the end of the day we were waiting on the air truck to arrive and for some reason management sent home everyone except for 5 guys. 1 guy was unloading, 2 guys were scanning, and 3 guys were left to load over 30 trucks. No one was there to sort the packages and it was a nightmare.

We have recently started wearing T-shirts and posted signs on our vehicles stating our complaints. Management has known of these complaints for awhile and has done nothing. I am only 18 years old and was wondering who do I complain to and how? and will my complaints actually cause any change?

I have attached photos of everything that I have stated above and more. I hope I can get some feedback from this post.

I have more photos but I am limited on how many files I can attach, I will see if I can reply to this with the other photos. Please excuse me, I am still new to the site.

broken roller stand.jpg
broken roller stand pt. 2.jpg
rolls missing.jpg
Bent Rollers.jpg
Huge Stack Out.JPG
car.jpg
shirt.jpg
truck and car.jpg

Nah
One of the employees is being threatend with suspension due to misloads but has to load almost 1,000 packages everyday and it's hard to keep up with.
There are no production standards, but misloads are subject to discipline. If you guys have to slow down to avoid misloads, do it. Better to let packages go down the belt than get suspended for misloads.
I am only 18 years old and was wondering who do I complain to and how? and will my complaints actually cause any change?
Your steward or business agent. Maybe even OSHA from what I see. Complaining to management will get you nowhere.
That grating is the rear bumper for the package cars. That isn't changing whether someone gets hurt or not.

Those stands you posted pictures of are safety hazards. Don't even use them. Put the rollers on the ground instead. Production and speed are not your concern. Safety is. And if the only equipment they provide you with is unsafe, don't use it.

As far as the 70+ packages go, if you really feel you need help, don't lift them without help. You have the right to get help for those packages in Article 44. The awful egress I see is covered in Article 18 and by OSHA.

Staydryitsraining

You can not be suspended for misloads. I don't know what twilight zone that's happening in but if your steward, let alone ba is allowing discipline for misleads call nlrb everyday until they are replaced or start doing their job. As to your other points, there is a trick that some people don't know about. If you can bring any concern, problem, in their eyes lack of production back to "this isn't safe" and can articulate a good reason for it they have no choice but to allow you to get away with what you want or fix what your pointing out.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
There are no production standards, but misloads are subject to discipline. If you guys have to slow down to avoid misloads, do it. Better to let packages go down the belt than get suspended for misloads.

Your steward or business agent. Maybe even OSHA from what I see. Complaining to management will get you nowhere.

That grating is the rear bumper for the package cars. That isn't changing whether someone gets hurt or not.

Those stands you posted pictures of are safety hazards. Don't even use them. Put the rollers on the ground instead. Production and speed are not your concern. Safety is. And if the only equipment they provide you with is unsafe, don't use it.

As far as the 70+ packages go, if you really feel you need help, don't lift them without help. You have the right to get help for those packages in Article 44. The awful egress I see is covered in Article 18 and by OSHA.
Good post. But they can put a table or platform between the concrete and car. There is always a way to do it safely.

quad decade guy

You can not be suspended for misloads. I don't know what twilight zone that's happening in but if your steward, let alone ba is allowing discipline for misleads call nlrb everyday until they are replaced or start doing their job. As to your other points, there is a trick that some people don't know about. If you can bring any concern, problem, in their eyes lack of production back to "this isn't safe" and can articulate a good reason for it they have no choice but to allow you to get away with what you want or fix what your pointing out.
Not true. You can be suspended for just about ANYTHING! Now, will it stick or get backpay or whatever? Maybe....maybe not.

What twilight zone? UPS! Look at the photos......it's all right there. This is how mgt wants it. This sort of sorriness is from Fresno to MEANJ......

quad decade guy

To the OP:

Notice: this all revolves around cost....money$$$$$$. You are young, new and a bit naive. Mgt wants it this way. They have to. Most likely nothing will change and they will try harder to get rid of you than make improvements. Be prepared.

Remember, UPS is a top down mgt model. The top creates parameters and the rest make that happen or they are fired or bullied into leaving....or demoted. UPS will step over a dollar to lose a dollar. Unrealistic goals and the least common denominator(equipment, safety, staffing) are the standard. UPS mgt is about dividends. Safety and quality of life, working conditions have NEVER been a priority.

Who to complain to? You mean to effect change? No person at UPS in the current environment will make that happen. What you see is what you get. If you believe telling a District Manager that his equipment is faulty or unsafe.......

Go to a safety meeting.....stand up and complain....loudly. Make sure you are getting paid. Because, that's all that will happen.

Lastly equipment: Do not spend your own money on signs and whatever. You are pissing it away.

The sorriness that you are experiencing is the way it is. This is our company. I have been here for over 40 years. Always been this way. In fact, I will admit it seems to be getting worse.

Fear is the general tactic employed to intimidate all mgt and employees. I will say, if not for the Union....your complaints would not be tolerated......probably won't be anyway.

If you cannot adapt to the sorriness......leave now. IT WILL NEVER CHANGE.

UPS is not a place for the idealist....your crusades will be ignored and even used against you....even by fellow employees. This is on display right here on BC.

Adapt or perish.

Peace.

Doing time

TLDR the whole thing. Despite the fact that many of your concerns are legitimate, this is the wrong approach if you want to make a long career at UPS. Not sure if you do or not. Getting upset about every little thing only adds stress to you. Believe me they aren’t worried about it. Get used to the fact that problems rarely get fixed at this company. They only care about the numbers and getting through that particular day. I see Drivers that get mad about their routes and stop counts every single day to the point it looks like they will have a stroke. With this company you gotta let everything roll off your back and stop caring. Refuse to do anything unsafe. Work at a slower pace if it’s required to do it safely. The time to bring up your documented complaints is when management tries to harass you about production.

quad decade guy

absolutely TLDR good lord
Oh?
Yup, that was insane.
Ok.

I saw the honest truth.

Explain please: Why folks can't take 2 minutes to see what's going on? Should he just put up a sexual innuendo clip or bombs exploding? Insane......really? He lives it everyday.

That's why we take extended pkg routes......one stop 12 hour feeder runs....to get away from this stupidity when we are able. I don't do CPU just to get away from the office dispatch morons and abusive ORS's beat down by abusive MGR'S.

MY GOD....The young man even provided photo proof.

Why are we here on BC? Just to bully and be abusive? Every thread is hijacked by the same handful of folks.....what is the OP supposed to do? Hell, we can't even have a tribute thread without it being hijacked by BS.