Who Sez Talk of Sucession is All Rightwing?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
And if Vermont were to secede from the Union, who would defend them if another country decided to invade them?

wkmac

And if Vermont were to secede from the Union, who would defend them if another country decided to invade them?

Scratch,

If they get their independence (talking and getting are 2 very different things) they would have to provide for their own self defense if invaded but consider this. Canada lies to their north and the US lies to the east, west and south so outside of the US or Canada, anyone attacking Vermont would have to go through US or Canadian territory or airspace and I'm betting neither country would condone that if not just for their own self interests. Now a good question to ask is, what happens if Canada and the US embargos Vermont? I'd be way more concerned on that basis than some foreign country physically attacking.

I personally don't believe anyone is gonna suceed but all the sucession talk, 10th Amendment talk and even Tea Parties have all been labeled rightwing and it's true that when INGSOC has the Ministry of Truth broadcast every evening on CNN, FOX, MSNBC, etc. it's always portrayed as rightwing and they always show film of rightwing/republican celebrities (some people call them politicians or elected officials) posturing for politicial effect come the next election cycle. The truth is more and more liberals are getting fed up and the talk about localism is building. Sure, they may run and do things different in their local community than you or I might but I'm cool with that because I don't live there and who knows, they may indeed build a better mouse trap and what's wrong with that?

I'll just leave it there.

BTW: Check out James Ostrowski's (a leader/organizer in the WNY Tea Party efforts) and Chris Manion's thoughts on the tea party movement and it might do well to understand who (make note of the date for effect) got this whole modern day tea party movement started and then one might understand why republican interests got scared and moved to take it over, with the help of the democrat conference teams (the ying/yang effect) I might add because they had as much to lose too! Just because we have one side called the NFC and the otherside is called the AFC doesn't mean they both aren't completely loyal to the parent otherwise known as the NFL. The National Fascist League. You mean you thought I was talking football?
:happy-very:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It wasn't too long ago that there was a city in southeastern Vermont that wanted to secede from Vermont and become part of New Hampshire. New Hampshire has no state sales tax.

The article did make a very good point in that Vermont does have the highest per capita casualty rate in both Iraq and Afghanistan. The Green Mountain Boys are involved in both conflicts and while their death toll is on par with other states the fact that the population of Vermont is much lower makes for a much higher per capita rate and, yes, both Governor Douglas and Senator Leahy are at every deployment ceremony.

wkmac

It wasn't too long ago that there was a city in southeastern Vermont that wanted to secede from Vermont and become part of New Hampshire. New Hampshire has no state sales tax.

The article did make a very good point in that Vermont does have the highest per capita casualty rate in both Iraq and Afghanistan. The Green Mountain Boys are involved in both conflicts and while their death toll is on par with other states the fact that the population of Vermont is much lower makes for a much higher per capita rate and, yes, both Governor Douglas and Senator Leahy are at every deployment ceremony.

You may be right about the NH sales tax but I thought they didn't have a state income tax and no property tax. No property tax is a state after my own heart.
:wink2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You may be right about the NH sales tax but I thought they didn't have a state income tax and no property tax. No property tax is a state after my own heart.

You may be right. All I remember is that this city wanted to leave Vermont and join New Hampshire and that it was tax related.

moreluck

golden ticket member

Originally Posted by wkmac

From moving around the country, you really need to look at all taxes. I thought having lower property taxes in Utah was going to be great, but they have personal property taxes when you license your cars. I was used to Ohio....at the time was $15 to license a car......get to Utah and they wanted $117 for just one car. It's based on the value of your car, so it does reduce every year, until you get a new car. Some states even tax your portfolio yearly. These are some of the hidden things you don't find out until you move to a state......so check out all taxes !! "No income taxes" does not always mean something great....they get it somewhere else.

wkmac

A very good interview with Kirkpatrick Sale, director of the Middlebury Institute on the Vermont secession movement and the idea of secession in general. Even if you oppose secession but believe in limited gov't or little "d" democracy, Kirkpatrick Sale discusses several topics worth consideration IMO.