UPS and Teamsters to resume contract negotiations next week

Pee Bottle

Strike doomers in here really about to be like all the libs from the vax thread in a week once a deal is reached. It feels like the same thing. “You better look for new employment, you’re ungrateful and you don’t know how good you’ve got it!” Same little Peter energy. Men have to be willing to do anything to get what they want. 99 percent of the problem in this country is we are too comfortable with our employment and don’t want to rock the boat.

charm299

We LOST payroll years ago. Now OMS clerks are being outsourced. Our TSG is now outsourced. I heard they will replace dispatch with AI and have a few parttime dispatchers instead of fulltime. They have closed all small-town customer service in our state. They are going to close the non-union customer service in our larger hubs in a year.
Our CEO bragged about outsourcing our HR with AI, even though our HR was a joke. They have been replacing on road sups with part time on road sups.
I guess her new motto better not bigger is directed to management personnel.
There’s a job opening in the center next to us for a part time center manager

Thebrownblob

Of course, that is teamsters' dream. Teamsters can start a business that is 100% teamsters!
I don’t think that’s what it means. But if you’re in management and you don’t think the current technology and automation isn’t going to eliminate you first I think you’re mistaken. We have a Center Manager and Five on road supervisors currently in my center. The current technology that has been implemented in operations could really get rid of at least two or three of those people tomorrow with almost no issue. I do not applaud it or Champion it I’m just making an observation. I’m sure there’s a lot of other technology that I don’t know about in other parts of the company that can eliminate even more.

anonymous23456

I don’t think that’s what it means. But if you’re in management and you don’t think the current technology and automation isn’t going to eliminate you first I think you’re mistaken. We have a Center Manager and Five on road supervisors currently in my center. The current technology that has been implemented in operations could really get rid of at least two or three of those people tomorrow with almost no issue. I do not applaud it or Champion it I’m just making an observation. I’m sure there’s a lot of other technology that I don’t know about in other parts of the company that can eliminate even more.
That's why I'm in the business of creating and fixing it. :wink2:

Up In Smoke

We have seen in our area that one center manager oversees multiple centers and the on roads move between centers. It's the first step to extinction IMO. Most days there isn't a sup in the building beyond 3pm unless they are on a ride. They take their tablets and cell phones and are checked out early.

anonymous23456

We have seen in our area that one center manager oversees multiple centers and the on roads move between centers. It's the first step to extinction IMO. Most days there isn't a sup in the building beyond 3pm unless they are on a ride. They take their tablets and cell phones and are checked out early.
Interesting...this can apply to all businesses from fast food to grocery stores: traveling supervisor group in a short distance.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What if the contract is voted down? The interests of Sean are not necessarily the same as the members that actually turnout in every election.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Extra voted ballots will show up mysteriously. Courtesy: FJB.
Depending on what the union agrees to. If weighted heavy in part-timers favor, then maybe.

The company may be thinking of investing more in automation moving forward. Higher wages might actually reduce overall union numbers.

Arizax2

Uncertainty for the customers??? Think we’re way beyond that….
It's a collection of things. Employees that are already living check to check is a concern. I get this will benfit everyone in the long run but it doesn't negate the fact that a strike will financially harm folks that are living pay check to pay check (not sure if they can apply for unemployment while taking strike pay?). If a deal can get done that is close to what SOB wants for the PartTimers then good and let's get it done without anyone losing $ that didn't plan around this strike.

However we will see the ramifications on the next contract. I can't image the company not expediting automation of our facility prior to the next contract. In the long run it will work out for the Teamsters because this showing will help them unionize Amazon, but I believe this will lit a fire under UPS to automate everything they possibly can which will lead to less union workers and less need for mangment

anonymous23456

It's a collection of things. Employees that are already living check to check is a concern. I get this will benfit everyone in the long run but it doesn't negate the fact that a strike will financially harm folks that are living pay check to pay check (not sure if they can apply for unemployment while taking strike pay?). If a deal can get done that is close to what SOB wants for the PartTimers then good and let's get it done without anyone losing $ that didn't plan around this strike.

However we will see the ramifications on the next contract. I can't image the company not expediting automation of our facility prior to the next contract. In the long run it will work out for the Teamsters because this showing will help them unionize Amazon, but I believe this will lit a fire under UPS to automate everything they possibly can which will lead to less union workers and less need for mangment
You can sum up the whole US industry in the last 30 years. It isn't new. It's the matter of feasibility and affordability.