Why are contract proposal meetings unnecessarily lengthy?

AccidentProne

I just went to my first contract proposal meeting and it took forever to get through the rider portion; Two hours of repeat questions and proposals that belong in central or national. I was told that it would take three hours total and it was looking like it was gonna last six hours plus. I didn't fancy sitting in a building with a out of service water fountain and no food establishments in a ten min walking distance nearby.

There should be a question screening before hand at each location with the Union Rep. to categorize everyone's proposals/questions into the correct categories, so when people propose an idea, it won't be a huge waste of time because it is in the wrong category, and would be needed to be repeated later. Also questions and proposals that are already in the language can be filtered out; A lot of eureka ideas that already a thing or already attempted and not possible.

I'm sure down the line when I gain enough years in the company, I would understand the importance of the topics in these meetings and why it takes so long.

No1 Special

Long time listener, first time caller.
Our local's constitution has provisions stating: All union meetings must be held within 8 minutes of a food establishment, and a working drinking fountain.

Whither

Scofflaw
I just went to my first contract proposal meeting and it took forever to get through the rider portion; Two hours of repeat questions and proposals that belong in central or national. I was told that it would take three hours total and it was looking like it was gonna last six hours plus. I didn't fancy sitting in a building with a out of service water fountain and no food establishments in a ten min walking distance nearby.

There should be a question screening before hand at each location with the Union Rep. to categorize everyone's proposals/questions into the correct categories, so when people propose an idea, it won't be a huge waste of time because it is in the wrong category, and would be needed to be repeated later. Also questions and proposals that are already in the language can be filtered out; A lot of eureka ideas that already a thing or already attempted and not possible.

I'm sure down the line when I gain enough years in the company, I would understand the importance of the topics in these meetings and why it takes so long.
Consider yourself fortunate: your leadership actually cares about the membership's input. In my local officers abruptly ended the meeting less than 1.5 hrs in and we had not discussed any proposals. It was just another informational meeting. The main highlight was a couple seasoned vets talking about the 97 strike. If I had known that was the local's plan, I would've stood up and insisted we discuss proposals. I had my laptop with 45 pages of revisions, article by article. Obviously I did not expect to commandeer everyone's attention for all these proposals, but there were a couple I wanted to present for discussion. No opportunity.

Whither

Scofflaw
I did, that's what I meant by the "I don't fancy" part.
Then why worry if others want to stay longer? IMO a proposal meeting should last however long it takes. Across UPS we have a lot of Teamsters who don't know the contract well. A lot of it isn't easy to understand. So it's good for people to get a chance to learn more. Unfortunately there's no quick way to do that.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Then why worry if others want to stay longer? IMO a proposal meeting should last however long it takes. Across UPS we have a lot of Teamsters who don't know the contract well. A lot of it isn't easy to understand. So it's good for people to get a chance to learn more. Unfortunately there's no quick way to do that.

It probably is the same with every proposal meeting. The 2 percenters, usually the 20 + year members are the ones that are the most vocal and taken seriously. Everybody has a particular issue with each contract according to their seniority or work classification, mine would be retirement.

All of us that post on B/C even our retirees would be on top of that food chain, the newer members simply do not know yet the fine details or have the history to stand up for themselves. I still remember going to my first Union meeting in the early 80’s, it was like the Union Reps were talking Greek. It was like one of those old fashion Mason Meetings, fully expected the Union Officials to pull out their elk helmets at any time. 🦌

Whither

Scofflaw
It probably is the same with every proposal meeting.
Not here. They ran the meeting informally and didn't give us the game plan. After less than an hour and half of the same info we got at the ho-hum parking lot meetings and Q&A, the officer conducting the meeting abruptly dismissed it. So we never got the chance to discuss actual proposals.

The only highlight was a couple brothers telling us about their experiences in the 97 strike.

Otherwise it was a sorry excuse for a proposal meeting.

542thruNthru

Our meeting was the president and one of the BAs reading all the proposals turned in. As they were reading them there would be some discussion about them whether to change them or what people thought about them. During the meeting members would think of something and turn a proposal in. The meeting was 3 hours.

The sad part was the turn out was absolutely embarrassing. We had probably around 25 people. My BA thinks it was because of the Padre game the night before. He's probably right but it was still embarrassing.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Our meeting was the president and one of the BAs reading all the proposals turned in. As they were reading them there would be some discussion about them whether to change them or what people thought about them. During the meeting members would think of something and turn a proposal in. The meeting was 3 hours.

The sad part was the turn out was absolutely embarrassing. We had probably around 25 people. My BA thinks it was because of the Padre game the night before. He's probably right but it was still embarrassing.

They had the one here at the same time as the Chiefs game. 3 people showed up

At least the Chiefs won

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
In our Local the proposal meeting(s) were ran like a workshop.

We had separate 2 hour blocks for part-timers and 22.3's, package car drivers, then feeders.

We had all hands on deck (agents and stewards) to circle the room, going table to table to assist those who were struggling with the format of one proposal per sheet or identifying which article their proposal involved.

In the end the format was fairly success while turnout was poor.

P.S. We had donuts, soda and bottled water available free of charge.

Last edited:

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
In our Local the proposal meeting(s) were ran like a workshop.

We had separate 2 hour blocks for part-timers and 22.3's, package car drivers, then feeders.

We had all hands on deck (agents and stewards) to circle the room, going table to table to assist those who were struggling with the format of one proposal per sheet or identifying which article their proposal involved.

In the end the format was fairly success while turnout was poor.

We have the same format coming up for ours. Sean recommended it that way.

542thruNthru

We do a taco truck at our General Membership meetings lately.
20221020_163724.jpg
20221020_171618.jpg

ImpeccableCavernousHairstreakbutterfly-small.gif

:)