why are there so many manufactured problems?

vowl

up late
Hi. I'm a late night truck loader, and no matter how well a job I do I get stupid complaints. One week I got audited, and had 100% load quality, and the next week they complained about my load quality. I haven't had a misload in months, and now they complain that I don't load to the ceiling of the truck. I keep up my flow of packages, and rarely need help. Today they showed me a random picture of a bad package wall and said I did it. All I could really say in ambiguous language is that I don't care what you think. The thing that bugged me was I felt they did not understand.

vowl

up late
The methods will kill you if you are not looking after your personal safety...I Joke, but I was just mad they were nit-picking me for nothing.

S

serenity now

Hi. I'm a late night truck loader, and no matter how well a job I do I get stupid complaints. One week I got audited, and had 100% load quality, and the next week they complained about my load quality. I haven't had a misload in months, and now they complain that I don't load to the ceiling of the truck. I keep up my flow of packages, and rarely need help. Today they showed me a random picture of a bad package wall and said I did it. All I could really say in ambiguous language is that I don't care what you think. The thing that bugged me was I felt they did not understand.

ups uses the mgmt. by exception model * they only focus on something negative * you will never be told you are doing well; get accustomed to that early on * you represent 1 work unit to ups * you are selling your labor to them *

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
1. No matter how well you do your job, it will never quite be good enough.

2. Any action you take to keep your name from appearing on one of their reports will automatically cause it to show up on a different one.

3. You generate revenue, and without your labor the packages dont get delivered. They generate audits and reports, and without their labor the ink cartridges in the printer just last a little longer.

rod

Retired 22 years
Just stare blankly at them then turn around an walk away without saying ANYTHING-- it drives them nuts. Repeat as often as necessary until they move on to someone they can intimidate. Its all just a game they play.

Re-Raise

2. Any action you take to keep your name from appearing on one of their reports will automatically cause it to show up on a different one.

3. You generate revenue, and without your labor the packages dont get delivered. They generate audits and reports, and without their labor the ink cartridges in the printer just last a little longer.

This should be memorized verbatim, like the 5 seeing habits and the 10 pt commentary.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
And I am complaining to justify mine.
Complaining to justify something like this is counter productive. I think you know now that you've tried to do things the good guy way and now it's time to protect your brain when you get there. Work to the best of your ability, use the methods, and nod your head and smile when they come in to "justify" their existence. There is no middle ground with these people. Work hard, work safely, and save your giveadamn for home.

rod

Retired 22 years

Beyond a doubt this is the best "tell it like it is" post I have ever read on the Brown Cafe.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Try not to take what they say "personally"; just because they are giving constructive criticism does not point to your individual work ethic, your values, etc.; it doesn't even necessarily reflect their true view of you in that particular supe's eyes or the mgmt team. I have often had a problem in recognizing this, since I take great pride in my work.

I've had supervisor who did an audit on me explain that he has been instructed to always find something for the person he is auditing to be better; the district health & safety manager would not accept a report without one. She agreed with you, that no one was perfect, and she is right. Now that I understand, when I am audited I'll even point to things the auditor missed, which they are thankful for (that I am not offended for being audited, and trying to be helpful, rather than just the tip). It shows that I care and am trying to be better; no I don't worry about them "hanging me with my on words" later, because it should never reach the point where they'd try.

Last edited:

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I suggest you don't give mgmt the cold shouldering if they approach you with something to work on. Rather, acknowledge what they suggest. Mentally, try to review to see what was different when you loaded that day, so you may adjust. Again, don't take it personal, rather try to act like you want to do your best, which includes taking suggestions from those supervising you, and this "manufactured pronlem" will be revealed to be nothing of the like.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I always like to remind them I'm not perfect, because the last guy who was, was nailed to a cross !!!!!

He said those who'd show faith in him would have to do just that, in essence. He was put to death basically because his opposers "didn't want to do what he did", which wasn't to be perfect, but to not be stubborn and humbly follow directions. It's ironic that following his advice to 'pick up one's torturing stake' in imitation of him is the path that will ultimately make one's work life better.

UPSGUY72

It's called flavor of the week / month. The key is to let the crap they keep telling you go in one ear and out the other. Don't take it personally or it will just keep bothering you. They aren't going to fire you they just have nothing better to do with there time so they make up stupid crap to complain about in order to justify there jobs. There are to many management people doing the same job though out UPS.

didyousheetit

you have been on here since 2011 this should not be a surprise to you. Everyone knows those who can do and those who cannot supervise.

BrownArmy

My approach to listening to this type of noise:

Listen attentively.

After it 'goes South':

1. Cock head slightly, pinch eyebrows slightly, listen even more attentively (imagine a year old puppy).
2. Give a slight 'up-and-down' nod whilst listening.
3. Make affirmative (but non-committal) noises, while slightly nodding.
4. At the end, smile.

And then give your parting shot, some variation on "I'm doing the best I can", or "I'm working safely", etc.

In my experience, when questioned about 'poor performance', any corroborating details I can give fall on deaf ears, and don't help my 'case'. I still try though, I guess I'm an optimist!

I know my management team is just trying to do their job, like me.

For the most part, I realize that they 'work-as-directed', in a different fashion than the UNION reference, but still true nonetheless.

(they are as fully aware of the 'manufactured-problems' as you are...)