Why does the clock in/out machine suck?

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
It's not just UPS that has this problem. This problem is a very old one too. I worked for a company back in the 90's had one of these computerized time clock systems. It was notorious for ignoring punch in and punch outs as well as shorting peoples hours. So the company gave a list to the supervisors to go over. If the supervisor had a question concerning someones hours or if they were even there that day, they would quickly go over it with that employee and fix the computer's mistake. You would think that the companies that make these time clock systems would have ironed out the bugs by now. Maybe UPS is still using one of these old time clock systems and hasn't upgraded.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Nearly all UPS facilities are now using cloud-based timecards, so there should be ZERO issues regarding time cards provided the employee was able to punch it. They still exist of course because of manual manipulation...

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Nearly all UPS facilities are now using cloud-based timecards, so there should be ZERO issues regarding time cards provided the employee was able to punch it. They still exist of course because of manual manipulation...
The punch in system is crap. I can't tell you how many times I've physically watched a guy punch in, only to have him come in after being sent home to tell me it says he never punched in.

watdaflock?

If a new ID card does not fix it, keep in mind those machine (magnetic/laser/led) eye readers get dirty. Try wrapping $1 bill around the card and swipe it through the reader. The fibers of the currency occasionally will help clean the eye reader.

No, the type of bill ($1, $5, $20, etc) does not matter....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If a new ID card does not fix it, keep in mind those machine (magnetic/laser/led) eye readers get dirty. Try wrapping $1 bill around the card and swipe it through the reader. The fibers of the currency occasionally will help clean the eye reader.

No, the type of bill ($1, $5, $20, etc) does not matter....

I carry nothing less than a $50-----will that work?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
The punch in system is crap. I can't tell you how many times I've physically watched a guy punch in, only to have him come in after being sent home to tell me it says he never punched in.

It's easy to fat finger the cloud-based system -- since the system will yield the same result (a return to the log-in page) whether you hit enter or cancel, neither the employee nor anybody watching them would know the difference.

That said, the several hundred paychecks I've been shorted on in my career are a derivative of management manipulation. There's over 400 people on my sort -- if you shorted every employee 1 minute per day, that's like adding 2 bodies to the sort. We had FT sup do just this for a few years... he eventually p'd somebody above him off, and they held the timecard issue against him even though it was no secret.

trickpony1

It's easy to fat finger the cloud-based system -- since the system will yield the same result (a return to the log-in page) whether you hit enter or cancel, neither the employee nor anybody watching them would know the difference.

That said, the several hundred paychecks I've been shorted on in my career are a derivative of management manipulation. There's over 400 people on my sort -- if you shorted every employee 1 minute per day, that's like adding 2 bodies to the sort. We had FT sup do just this for a few years... he eventually p'd somebody above him off, and they held the timecard issue against him even though it was no secret.

I quoted the whole thing so we could read it together.

It appears he said, "....the several hundred paychecks I've been shorted on in my career.....".

It doesn't say anything about, "...I've seen.....".

TTKU.

Just Lurking

At one time the company used paper timecards that worked time clock that stamped pinch times. You would write your start time on the card. Also, you had a separate time card for each day. Supervisors would fax your time cards to payroll after each shift.
You would be amazed home many times and "8" or "9" would fax as a "0". Always amazed me that "0" would never get changed to "8" or "9".
Since you could keep a weekly copy of your punches on separate piece of paper, it was always pretty easy to figure out where the "mistake" was.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
He said that he had seen several hundred checks shorted over the course of his career. He never said that any of thise checks were his. As he said, with over 400 people on his shift, a minute shorted here and there can add up rather quickly .
He said "I've been shorted" not "I've seen"

trickpony1

You've had several hundred checks shorted? C'mon.

.....and, yes, if bagels has worked many years it is conceivable that he has been shorted several hundred times.

Some employees, especially new ones, have this blind faith in the company and seem to prefer to bask in the glow exuded by the company and not confront the reality that their supervisor can, and will, alter their timecards.

It's a well known practice by management and will stop only when management knows the employee keeps very close track of their hours.