Why the hate?

vantexan

point one: JFK made that comment long after SS was the law of the land.

point two: contrary to what some would say, the banking industry is a perfect example of unfettered capitalism. Oh, they talk about over regulation, but they wrote the regs and know every loophole.

If you have certain Congressmen, beholden to special interests, putting pressure on banks to make large loans to unqualified individuals, you have a recipe for disaster. Plenty of blame to go around for the meltdown. And if by unfettered you mean totally free to do whatever they wanted you know that's not true. Hard to have an honest discussion with you when you always insist on painting one side a certain way while cutting the other side way too much slack.

Fourputt

You know, I thought your name looked familiar. I'm glad I bumped into you. I had a misload today destined for Texas, addressed to one Van Texan. It originated from Hacks Cross Rd. in Memphis. It had an inscription on the envelope and said something to the effect of:

"Dear Van, I can't stop thinking of you... ever since you came to that seminar up here. Here is that 1/79th scale diecast FedEx express jet you wanted. Also enclosed is that caricature we had made when we went to Dollywood together. I still can't believe you wouldn't take off your cowboy hat and chaps off, silly... Though the entire South should lay between us, I am forever yours."

Sincerely
" friend.S. "

Jeez I sure hope you got that parcel. It looked urgent. It smelled like it had a splash of Aqua Velva. Don't worry. I gave the package to Prometheus, our most professional Ground driver at the station. He gets distracted by birds easily, but he is quite good.

vantexan

You know, I thought your name looked familiar. I'm glad I bumped into you. I had a misload today destined for Texas, addressed to one Van Texan. It originated from Hacks Cross Rd. in Memphis. It had an inscription on the envelope and said something to the effect of:

"Dear Van, I can't stop thinking of you... ever since you came to that seminar up here. Here is that 1/79th scale diecast FedEx express jet you wanted. Also enclosed is that caricature we had made when we went to Dollywood together. I still can't believe you wouldn't take off your cowboy hat and chaps off, silly... Though the entire South should lay between us, I am forever yours."

Sincerely
" friend.S. "

Jeez I sure hope you got that parcel. It looked urgent. It smelled like it had a splash of Aqua Velva. Don't worry. I gave the package to Prometheus, our most professional Ground driver at the station. He gets distracted by birds easily, but he is quite good.

I'm sorry, you were saying something about hate? Can't imagine why people treat you badly...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If you have certain Congressmen, beholden to special interests, putting pressure on banks to make large loans to unqualified individuals, you have a recipe for disaster. Plenty of blame to go around for the meltdown. And if by unfettered you mean totally free to do whatever they wanted you know that's not true. Hard to have an honest discussion with you when you always insist on painting one side a certain way while cutting the other side way too much slack.

You are correct. It was all on Bush.

vantexan

The Bush Administration warned Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and the banks that they were treading on thin ice making those loans. It was two powerful Democrat Congressmen who were putting pressure on the banks because they wanted people to have the chance to own a home, and the mortgage industry with contributions and perks made sure they pressured the banks. Again, a lot of blame to go around, some of the most idiotic decisions in the history of man. Considering the fallout a lot of people ought to be sitting in jail, including millions of adults who should have known better to accept a loan they couldn't afford, to those on Wall Street who tried to create new investments that were a house of cards, playing with our money.

MAKAVELI

The Bush Administration warned Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and the banks that they were treading on thin ice making those loans. It was two powerful Democrat Congressmen who were putting pressure on the banks because they wanted people to have the chance to own a home, and the mortgage industry with contributions and perks made sure they pressured the banks. Again, a lot of blame to go around, some of the most idiotic decisions in the history of man. Considering the fallout a lot of people ought to be sitting in jail, including millions of adults who should have known better to accept a loan they couldn't afford, to those on Wall Street who tried to create new investments that were a house of cards, playing with our money.

Here we go again. Look, everyone knows Bush and Cheney are the ones who who ****ed everything up. That is why Obama was elected in 2008 and again in 2012. The majority of Americans didn't want republicans in charge of the country and economy. The economy is on the right track again. Do we have a long way to go? Yea, but we are heading in the right direction.

vantexan

Here we go again. Look, everyone knows Bush and Cheney are the ones who who ****ed everything up. That is why Obama was elected in 2008 and again in 2012. The majority of Americans didn't want republicans in charge of the country and economy. The economy is on the right track again. Do we have a long way to go? Yea, but we are heading in the right direction.

We have been adrift for 4 years now. Did you listen to the inauguration speech? Absolutely no plan to get us going in a direction. And Republicans have kept the House which controls the purse strings. The Public voted for that too. Why? To control the spending. Why is it that the Senate hasn't submitted a budget in 3.5 years? Why hasn't the White House? The one budget Obama did submit didn't get any support from House Democrats either. Not one. The House has passed two budgets but Harry Reid won't vote on them in the Senate. Why? Because they address spending and the one thing the Democrats don't want to restrict is spending. It's how they got and keep their power. Blame Bush all you want, but at some point you have to realize that Obama has been in charge for four years and his policies aren't changing anything because he has no real policy that will affect change. A lot of style, no substance.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We have been adrift for 4 years now. Did you listen to the inauguration speech? Absolutely no plan to get us going in a direction. And Republicans have kept the House which controls the purse strings. The Public voted for that too. Why? To control the spending. Why is it that the Senate hasn't submitted a budget in 3.5 years? Why hasn't the White House? The one budget Obama did submit didn't get any support from House Democrats either. Not one. The House has passed two budgets but Harry Reid won't vote on them in the Senate. Why? Because they address spending and the one thing the Democrats don't want to restrict is spending. It's how they got and keep their power. Blame Bush all you want, but at some point you have to realize that Obama has been in charge for four years and his policies aren't changing anything because he has no real policy that will affect change. A lot of style, no substance.

Adrift? Hardly. As long as the GOP keeps blocking meaningful legislation Obama is faced with the same problem he had last term...stalemate. The GOP is still stuck in reverse and they want the rest of the country to follow them back to the past.

vantexan

Adrift? Hardly. As long as the GOP keeps blocking meaningful legislation Obama is faced with the same problem he had last term...stalemate. The GOP is still stuck in reverse and they want the rest of the country to follow them back to the past.

What meaningful legislation?

MaineGroundDriver

Fourputt .. I've been a Ground Driver for 2 full years now. Here is what I have experienced. At first, when I was unrecognizable by the other couriers in my WA, I was never acknowledged. Didn't phase me any. I just went about my business, serviced my area as well as I could and learned my route and my customers. As time has gone on, I've gotten to know some of the UPS and Express people. I no longer get the feeling that I'm being looked down upon by the management at Express when I go there for deliveries or my daily pickup. They are now talkative and treat me like a real person. Most of the Express couriers, the same. The best of the bunch are the UPS guys. They always talk to me and treat me like any other courier just doing their job.

I've had a few negative experiences with USPS while delivering their SmartPost to them, but have since "cleared the air" with most of them as well.

But you know what, I don't care either way. I know that when I'm out on the road (and I've told this to the people at Express), I'm going to do the best job I can. I know that even though I'm not a "real FedEx employee" I'm still representing the brand. I know that if I go out, deliver correctly, provide the customers with the respect and service they expect, I've done my job.

Does it bother me that I'm not union? No, Express isn't either. Does it bother me I don't get the pay that Express gets? No, but I'm not THAT far behind them. Why doesn't it bother me? Because I'm not them. I am hired to do what I do and collect a decent paycheck at the end of every week. I try to excel at my job and don't worry about what everyone else thinks, says or does.

thigh19

Years ago when I was with Overnite the union tried hard to get us to join there club with little avail. I remember the push here in Portland. I remember having lunch at a local diner talking to a CF driver when another CF driver came in, sit between us with his back to me, calling me name and berating my company.
If you want people to join your club, don't drive a wedge. Get along, be cordial.
Just saying.
PS you see where CF is now.

TUT

I hate to say it, but Im disgusted by the behaviour of my "peers". We all do the same damn thing, whether it's my paltry 39k a year salary through a contractor, or the union backed 80 grand of the godly, immortal UPS driver, or the federal benefits of the postal worker. These people have no right to be pompous, just as I have no right to be. I have to say though, that the people I encounter who merchandise.. budweiser, pepsi, etc.. are all very nice. I can have a conversation with them. One guy invited me to the gym and we work out together. That's the relationship I like to have with people I work around. So why oh why.. are these people so freakin rude?! Why cant I even talk to them?

Because they are asses. It's like the movie Warrior's all fighting over a small piece of turf, missing the big picture. The thing is "The Man" loves it when the peons fight amongst themselves. Energy is focused horizontal here where it should be focused vertically up. They act as if you personally have done something wrong, they think somehow someone won't take the job if they hope it bad enough. Sick. UPS has no reason to be pompous, they can't have all the pkgs due to a monopoly. Express used to be UPS's whipping boy, so they take their insecurities and prove to be no better looking down on ground. If Fedex didn't buy ground, Express would be in much worst case, they don't want to understand 2008 and the crash changed everything, not only for small package drivers but for almost every paycheck to paycheck employee in America.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Years ago when I was with Overnite the union tried hard to get us to join there club with little avail. I remember the push here in Portland. I remember having lunch at a local diner talking to a CF driver when another CF driver came in, sit between us with his back to me, calling me name and berating my company.
If you want people to join your club, don't drive a wedge. Get along, be cordial.
Just saying.
PS you see where CF is now.

Be a laydown, cooperate, do what management wants....sorry. Rampant mis-management caused CF to collapse, along with a deliberate campaign to create an in-house non-union competitor (Con-Way) to kill the Teamsters. Don't be a fool, although its sounds like you have a running start.

HomeDelivery

i have the same views as four and maineground... glad in my areas, south and central of the state i'm in, all of the drivers are cordial to each other... because we face too many idiot lemming drivers on the road 90% of the time & have to watch out for each others' backs, no matter what uniform we have on. areas to the north, close to NYC, however are full of a-holes :P

purplesky

Because they are asses. It's like the movie Warrior's all fighting over a small piece of turf, missing the big picture. The thing is "The Man" loves it when the peons fight amongst themselves. Energy is focused horizontal here where it should be focused vertically up. They act as if you personally have done something wrong, they think somehow someone won't take the job if they hope it bad enough. Sick. UPS has no reason to be pompous, they can't have all the pkgs due to a monopoly. Express used to be UPS's whipping boy, so they take their insecurities and prove to be no better looking down on ground. If Fedex didn't buy ground, Express would be in much worst case, they don't want to understand 2008 and the crash changed everything, not only for small package drivers but for almost every paycheck to paycheck employee in America.

TUT, How long have you been around dude? FDX Express HAS NEVER BEEN UPSs WHIPPING BOY. Working for Express 15 to 20 years ago was a killer job to have.

I have known some express guys for years and also several ground drivers even though they seem to come and go. We are all cool with each other and I consider them work friends.

TUT its 2013 and we are in a recovery now. How much after tax profit did UPS make in 2012? How about FDX?

I talked to a very young FDX ground guy the other day and he didnt have a clue. He told me one guy owns 18 routes in his area. He makes $600.00 a week and works about 10 to 11 hours a day. THATS NO OVERTIME!
No health insurance and no 401k.

So here is this young ground guy busting his butt for a billion dollar company and just getting bent over. :wink: He will never be rewarded for his hard work at FDX.

The funny thing is I just remembered he told me his FDX bosses said UPS is going to go on strike and to tell the customers. I almost felt sorry for the dude. He was clueless about his future at FDX.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I talked to a very young FDX ground guy the other day and he didnt have a clue. He told me one guy owns 18 routes in So here is this young ground guy busting his butt for a billion dollar company and just getting bent over. ******s. The management can do it themselves.

Chumpy

I don't "hate" ground but they are taking Express business away as like UPS! We don't "hate" the drivers only the collective idea of Ground...