Why won't UPS call me for driving?

Threshold

Hello all. Can write ups prevent you from becoming a driver? I have 2 write ups. One for attendance and the other one for missorts ("salts" actually).

I have a feeling that my stupidvisor may have also something to do with why I'm not getting called. Can they do anything to try and screw you? He's always having "chats" with me about a bunch of little things, like going to bathroom 5 min before break, which he records in my Pittsburgh.

The reason I ask is because in my center people usually get the call for driving at around 4 years seniority. I have 5 years and 4 months seniority, and nothing yet. I even know a guy who had a discharge order when he went driving. What can I do to speed up the process?

brownrodster

When a new driver position opens up they put it up for bid (it may be diferent in your supplement). when you see a bid sheet sign it. If you have the highest seniority you get the job. The write ups you are talking about will not affect the bid at all. If they believe you are a problem employee they may be hard on you during your probationary period as a driver, however.

If anyone with lower seniority than you goes driving then talk to the steward and manager to figure out why you did not 'get the call.' If the company did something wrong then you can grieve it.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

"What can I do to speed up the process?" May I suggest an attitude change. Referring to your boss as a "stupidvisor", not being able to wait an additional 5 minutes before using the restroom, and constantly having to "chat" with the supervisor are all indications of an attitude that perhaps needs changing or perhaps a lack of maturity on your part to handle the additional responsibility of a driver position. This may sound old school and perhaps it is but you sound as though you tend to blame others for that which you bring upon yourself. This is a fairly simple job, especially in your current position. Show up when you are supposed to, go on break when you are supposed to, do the job the way that you are supposed to, and you will advance much the same as many other part-timers have. Pretty simple formula for what could be a long-term career with a comfortable retirement waiting for you at the end.

"What can I do to speed up the process?" May I suggest an attitude change. Referring to your boss as a "stupidvisor", not being able to wait an additional 5 minutes before using the restroom, and constantly having to "chat" with the supervisor are all indications of an attitude that perhaps needs changing or perhaps a lack of maturity on your part to handle the additional responsibility of a driver position. This may sound old school and perhaps it is but you sound as though you tend to blame others for that which you bring upon yourself. This is a fairly simple job, especially in your current position. Show up when you are supposed to, go on break when you are supposed to, do the job the way that you are supposed to, and you will advance much the same as many other part-timers have. Pretty simple formula for what could be a long-term career with a comfortable retirement waiting for you at the end.
Sometimes it's the "stupidvisor" (possibly earned title) that needs an attitude adjustment. I don't know about you Upstate, but when I need to "go" I need to "go", my kidneys can't read a clock.
Why do you seem to always assume that the hourly is at fault? Have you submitted your letter yet?

feeder53

ADKtrails
I agree with upstate, I always take time to think, plan and then act. I feel that when I point out to someone else as the issue...there are three fingers pointing back at me.......Its not all about me.......

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

trplnkl, you may have a point, but I would like to clarify. I have an issue with our younger employees, both hourly and management, who seem to feel that they are "entitled" to things that their limited job experience does not merit such entitlement. Kids today want to start at the top and not put in the leg work required to get there. UPS has even recognized this and has begun revising its training methods to adjust to the younger workers, referred to as "Generation X". I have 2 kids, ages 21 and 23, so I know a little something about the mindset of our younger generation and I know that both would be hard pressed to be able to keep up with the demands UPS places on us on a daily basis simply because neither possess the work ethic of their parents' generation, much the same as we didn't have the work ethic of our elders' generation and so on.

I will admit that I never worked in the hub prior to driving as I was hired off the street. I do feel that I would have gained a better perspective on what these kids go through had I gone through it myself.

Now, going to the restroom 5 minutes early is most certainly not a big deal; however, 5 minutes a day times 5 days a week times 4 weeks and we are talking 1 hour and 40 minutes a month of lost production. I doubt the supervisor would have taken the time to "chat" about it if it had not become a noticeable trend.

You are right, when I need to go, I need to go, and it seems it happens more often as I have gotten older. It also seems that my body knows when I am at or near a stop where I can use the restroom. However, I also know that I can wait 5 minutes until I am on my break. You don't think he is simply trying to extend his break?

Trplnkl, I respect your position and enjoy reading your posts as you generally have your finger on the pulse of the subject in question. I guess I am just a little too old school and at this point would be hard pressed to change my position but do try to respect the position of others.

bad company

semi-pro
Upstate - I agree with most of what you say. FYI, we (I'm 22 years old) are referred to "Generation Y" and yes, UPS has implemented a new training program for people like me, although it is still in the developmental/experimental phase. There is a good article in Fortune or Money magazine about it, I forgot which one it was in, but I subscribe to both and saw it in there.

Just remember there are always exceptions, and while I have my lazy moments, by no means am I your stereotypical Generation Y'er...

I will be the first to admit, however, that driving at UPS has been an eye-opening experience and definately the hardest this Generation Y'er has ever worked in his life (albeit not a long one so far).

Threshold

First of all. I do my job way above the standards set by my lead. The salts where merely a result of my stupidvisor trying to make himself relevant. Without them my actual missorts are 1 in 8,000. I don't even look at the clock when I'm working. Makes time feel like it's moving slower. So pretty much every time I go to the bathroom is because I really have to go.

Secondly, the reason I ask this question is because my center is notorious about preferential treatment. If you're pretty and/or willing to kiss ass you get ahead. Well I'm neither pretty nor am I willing to do the latter. There have been a few occasions when people with a lot of seniority have had to file grievances because management gave certain jobs (re-tape people, hazardous clean up , etc.) to people with less than 2 years seniority. I just want to get some answers about whether or not write ups can hold you back, or if management can actually do something to purposely hold you back. Whenever I ask management they give me different answers.

Thirdly my attitude should have nothing to do with me going driving or not. I'm sorry if I don't have a "can do attitude!", but that's just me. I clock in, get to work, makes some money, and get out. I'm not interested in making friends with management, or going the "extra mile" just so they can make more money. I work at the standards set by them, no more, no less.

Channahon

Oh but your attitude will have everything to do with driving. You can work anywhere from 8 to 10 hours a day and that doesn't include driving to and from work.

You will have interaction with your fellow drivers and on occasion may be sent to help someone when you're done for the day.

When you refer to your supervisor as stupidvisor that in itself is disrespectful. And as far as the salts and your missorts, it doesn't matter what your frequency is when you take out the missed salts, the fact of the matter is, a customer would not have received the package on time. The expectations of our customers, to get what they paid for and every once in a while, a driver who will go the extra mile.

And quite frankly, I would be somewhat concerned with customer interaction, based on your disrespect for management. Customers can be more demanding that UPS management, and you represent UPS as a driver.
How would you handle a difficult customer and maintain professionalism?

And the attendance issue you have, well that doesn't fly either. You see when the center is short drivers, and exhaust all means to get the packages and pick ups dispatched, any extra work will go to your fellow drivers. And that does not work well in a teamwork environment.

You may want to sign up to be a driver helper next peak, to get a good look at a driving position. It's harder work than most people think, inside and outside of UPS.

And get your union steward involved with your preferential treatment issues.

Good luck

brownIEman

Find the driving bid sheet and sign it. They don't just tap yuou on the shoulder ad ask you if you want to drive.

well, actually, if he has a good relationship with his supervisor, the supervisor might just tap him on the sholder when the bid sheet is out and tell him where it is. The supervisor does not have to do that, but I have known them to. Oh wait, sorry, I meant his stupidvisor. mmmm, wonder how good that relationship is...

And quite frankly, I would be somewhat concerned with customer interaction, based on your disrespect for management. Customers can be more demanding that UPS management, and you represent UPS as a driver.
How would you handle a difficult customer and maintain professionalism?

You may want to sign up to be a driver helper next peak, to get a good look at a driving position. It's harder work than most people think, inside and outside of UPS.
Good luck

I guess this is a valid concern with many people. Some are not able to sideline their emotions and attitudes from one situation to another. Maybe because I was cursed with a quick temper from an early age and the struggle I went through to learn to control that temper that I have a little different outlook. I can be in a knock down, drag out yelling match with a supervisor before leaving the building, yet when I reach my first delivery the customer can't tell everything is not wine and roses. This is not to say that I have never had a conflict with a customer, but all in all customers tend to love me and want to keep my as their regular.
On the "disrespect for management" issue, I assert that disrespect is not the same as respect not earned. The title of management only buys one time to earn my respect. It has been my observation that most "Stupidvisors" have earned that title.

Being a driver helper would go a long way as a learning experience for any loader whether they intend to ever deliver or not. Possibly just knowing what and how a driver does all day would put a different out look on how a loader does his/her job.

trplnkl, you may have a point, but I would like to clarify. I have an issue with our younger employees, both hourly and management, who seem to feel that they are "entitled" to things that their limited job experience does not merit such entitlement. Kids today want to start at the top and not put in the leg work required to get there. UPS has even recognized this and has begun revising its training methods to adjust to the younger workers, referred to as "Generation X". I have 2 kids, ages 21 and 23, so I know a little something about the mindset of our younger generation and I know that both would be hard pressed to be able to keep up with the demands UPS places on us on a daily basis simply because neither possess the work ethic of their parents' generation, much the same as we didn't have the work ethic of our elders' generation and so on.

I will admit that I never worked in the hub prior to driving as I was hired off the street. I do feel that I would have gained a better perspective on what these kids go through had I gone through it myself.

Now, going to the restroom 5 minutes early is most certainly not a big deal; however, 5 minutes a day times 5 days a week times 4 weeks and we are talking 1 hour and 40 minutes a month of lost production. I doubt the supervisor would have taken the time to "chat" about it if it had not become a noticeable trend.

You are right, when I need to go, I need to go, and it seems it happens more often as I have gotten older. It also seems that my body knows when I am at or near a stop where I can use the restroom. However, I also know that I can wait 5 minutes until I am on my break. You don't think he is simply trying to extend his break?

Trplnkl, I respect your position and enjoy reading your posts as you generally have your finger on the pulse of the subject in question. I guess I am just a little too old school and at this point would be hard pressed to change my position but do try to respect the position of others.

I find nothing in this post that I can disagree with. The Generation X,Y, Z (whatever they call it) as a whole certainly has a different work ethic than what I grew up with, even the attitude is much different. The really sad part to this truth is that it is the parents that have helped to embed that attitude. The ME-ME-ME, instant gratification, self entitlement, non-responsibility is learned from peers, media, and fortified by permissive and lazy parents. The really scary part is that not only can these kids not handle the job at UPS but they are the future CEOs and leaders of our country. I do have a very precise theory on personal work ethics, but I will save that for another thread on another day. Right now I have to "go".

Whew, I feel better now.
UpState, I apologize for my one liner about the "letter", it was too curt and uncalled for. It was actually an abbreviated attempt at saying that I feel that the overall tone of many of your posts are suggesting that the employee is always wrong and management is always right. I can't hold to that logic as we all know that nothing is "always"(or never for that matter).

well, actually, if he has a good relationship with his supervisor, the supervisor might just tap him on the sholder when the bid sheet is out and tell him where it is. The supervisor does not have to do that, but I have known them to. Oh wait, sorry, I meant his stupidvisor. mmmm, wonder how good that relationship is...
I don't know what district you work in (or maybe in region or national) but we sure could use you in Red River.

U

Undermining People safty

Hello all. Can write ups prevent you from becoming a driver? I have 2 write ups. One for attendance and the other one for missorts ("salts" actually).

I have a feeling that my stupidvisor may have also something to do with why I'm not getting called. Can they do anything to try and screw you? He's always having "chats" with me about a bunch of little things, like going to bathroom 5 min before break, which he records in my Pittsburgh.

The reason I ask is because in my center people usually get the call for driving at around 4 years seniority. I have 5 years and 4 months seniority, and nothing yet. I even know a guy who had a discharge order when he went driving. What can I do to speed up the process?