Why work so long?

PT Car Washer

I'm still leaning to 30 yrs at 51. (2018). Don't care to stay for the 4 extra yrs to clear the penalty. I can find pocket change if I want.
If you can make $35/hr pocket change and full benefits I would agree with you. Of course I am PT and can choose my hours makes a huge difference.

oldngray

nowhere special
If you can make $35/hr pocket change and full benefits I would agree with you. Of course I am PT and can choose my hours makes a huge difference.

Why did you never go full time? For now there isn't a big difference in money probably but you will get screwed on pension.

PT Car Washer

Why did you never go full time? For now there isn't a big difference in money probably but you will get screwed on pension.
In Central States, so maybe not. Biggest thing is vacation and holiday pay. After you turn 40 you are not going to be working long enough for a decent FT pension so you might as well stay PT and use your seniority to make your money. Ft can be a real grind day after day. At least I can choose what I want to do. Sort of like a FT cover driver that can choose what route he wants to run that day.

toxic88

So I started when I was 17 and plan to work between the ages of 60-65. That would put me at 43-48 years of service. I should go feeder this year but who cares how many years of service one has. If one can do it more props to him/her. I love my 6 plus weeks vacation, 100k, family taken care of and lavish get aways. Yes I can leave at 25 and out but easy money is easy money. Besides I have to finish paying off my Porsche.

PT Car Washer

So I started when I was 17 and plan to work between the ages of 60-65. That would put me at 43-48 years of service. I should go feeder this year but who cares how many years of service one has. If one can do it more props to him/her. I love my 6 plus weeks vacation, 100k, family taken care of and lavish get aways. Yes I can leave at 25 and out but easy money is easy money. Besides I have to finish paying off my Porsche.
I believe you have to be 21 before you start collecting pension credits.

PT Car Washer

Sorry. just realized you were just bragging about driving a kraut can. Good luck with your VW.

jaker

trolling
I think you will a see a flux in retirement from different generation in ups world

The old guys who stay knew the good days and stayed on longer then needed because of that

Then you have the middle generation now that caught a glimpse of the old days and now see it and what's coming in the future and want out as soon as they can

And sorry 7 beers in and on vacation right now

I had to laugh after reading some of the younger guys bitchin about guys who won't retire "when they are supposed to" so that spots will open up. Not saying they are right but I often wonder why people don't retire if they have the time in. Reminded me of the story UPS did about that package driver who put in 50 years.

There is no way in hell I would do that much time. I know everyone has their own personal reasons for continuing to work like not being financially secure, fear of doing nothing, having a place to go to escape from issues or spouses / kids, loneliness, etc; the list could go on and on but those were just some examples. I work to provide for my family and have money to enjoy the things I want to do or buy that's all.

No matter what luxuries or things I enjoy now, I have also made a decision NOT to put work before any of that and I also decided long ago that I am not going to work so long that I will be too old or broken down to enjoy the last part of my life, the part where I should be able to not have to get up at a certain time or be held to constraints or schedules (other than the ones I make for myself).

Not saying a certain age is the appropriate age to retire but there are alot of people who die before 60 and there are alot who continue to have a great time long after 60. There are also alot of people who pass shortly after retirement and then there are those who don't. Anyways, I figure for me 60 is the age I will be done with any work no matter what. I have savings and 401k and try to plan for the future and hope that I made good decisions financially.

So I ask, why would anyone want to work for so much of their precious and short life. I'm working to live, not living to work. Anyone else feel that way?
Life change as well as goals do. Sometimes when you've been doing the same thing for 42 years people get scared about what they will do when they retire. Or the got divorced a while back and their wife get a lot of years of there pension.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
I'll retire when I'm financially ready. At my current rate I'll put in about 39 years. That'll put me at 60 ish. I'm not counting on any one thing to put me in a good space. Some to savings, some to a 3 way split Ramsey-ish 401k, pension, and Social Security which is looking more and more like a joke. I fully expect my pension to be attacked at some point in my career because greed points in that direction. Hopefully I'll spread out my investments enough to be protected and live within my means. I would love nothing more that to have a cabin in the woods and be off the grid. If I have to move to Canada to pull that off then fine.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
One guy told me he just likes the job. He does have the best route in the building with only 25-30 stops all country driving, but his wife who is also around his age, still works in receiving at a parts supplyhouse. He has hobbies so I really don't know why he stays.

Another guy works because he didn't make good financial decisions and says that he can't afford to retire. Whatever that means...
I think a lot of people are scared they can't afford to retire. I understand. It's a huge step and once you take it there's no going back. You don't know if you'll live 4 more years or 40.

I plan on putting in my 35 and being gone. There's things that could change that like landing a sweet article 22.3 job.

I hope this doesn't change but for the wife and I we truely enjoy being alone together. We spend our weekends together most of the time and when we get week days off together we go do things together.

I know this isn't the case for many married couples. We just had friends with two young kids call us to do something last weekend. We went out with them that night all had a few and the wife and I both told them separately. We totally understand if you guys want some alone time. Don't feel like you have to ask us out everytime you get rid of the kids for a day or weekend. They both had the exact same reply. "The truth is we don't like each other all that much and it's terrible just being alone together."

For someone like them (if they stay married) retirement will be miserable. I'm sure as it gets closer to retirement the excuses will start flowing for both of them.

Indecisi0n

25 --out and not a second more. I know they say don't burn bridges but on my last day I am taking a dump under the desk of whomever is my current center manager. Now I have 20 years to decide what that meal should be the day before.

DOK

If you can retire and sit at home and collect $50,000, why continue to bust your butt at ups for the difference between your salary and what you'd get from your pension. For most guys it's like $40,000.