Texas Tim

Hello there UPSers!

I started at UPS this past May 2020 and I have a important question, while I looked over the contract and saw as a part time you get so much credits of service for hours worked and it talks about a pension I was wondering if I would get a pension from UPS/the union?

Here are a little facts. I will work more than 750 hours for this year so no worries there as I aw that is the number of hours needed for 1 year of credit. I live and work in Texas, the Red River district I am currently 40 years old, will be 41 this next week. I plan on staying at UPS 15-20 years and for now plan on staying in part time roles as I do things on the side. I saw where it stated you must be at UPS 5 years to be vested. With that said if I stay part time and say I have 15 accredited years of service and say I retire at age 55. At that point would i get a pension? Do I get health insurance as well? How much would I get for a pension saying I have 15 years of service? It looks like something like $60 per month for every year worked. which comes out to something like $60x15= $900 a month for working 15 years.

Just trying to plan a little for the future.

Please let me know how all this works. At the end of the day each and every penny helps. I have been laid off three times in the last four years and that is why I chose to work at UPS. I need benefits for my family, plus a job and I was looking at extra money in the future as a good thing.

rod

Retired 22 years
A LOT can happen between now and 15 or 20 years. Personally I don't even think UPS will be around then (and that would also mean the end of the Teamsters). I'm sure by then the higher-ups would have figured out how to get their share of the pie and leave NOTHING for the peons.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Assuming Rod is wrong and UPS is still around then yes, you will get a pension but you can't start collecting it til you're 65.

badpal

A LOT can happen between now and 15 or 20 years. Personally I don't even think UPS will be around then (and that would also mean the end of the Teamsters). I'm sure by then the higher-ups would have figured out how to get their share of the pie and leave NOTHING for the peons.
This coming from a guy who someday will post that he collected the pension for more years than he worked.:rolleyes: And i for one hope you do Rod.

Pizza

Joe Biden is The Big Guy
UPS Plan (covers most PT)

If You Leave UPS Before Early,
Service or Normal Retirement

If you terminate employment from all UPS Related
Companies after you complete at least five years of Vesting
Credit and you have accumulated Service Credit under the
Plan, you will be entitled to begin receiving your vested
Accrued Benefit from the Plan at your Normal Retirement
Date. This benefit is referred to as a deferred vested
retirement benefit.
If you have at least 10 years of Vesting Credit but less than
25 years of Combined Service Credit, you may begin
receiving Plan benefits as early as age 50. If you elect to
have your benefit payments begin before your Normal
Retirement Date, your Accrued Benefit will be reduced
6% per year (1/2% per calendar month) for each full and
partial calendar year (month) before your Normal
Retirement Date.
For example, the following table shows the percentage of
Accrued Benefit that is payable at ages 50, 55, 60 and 62.
Age When Deferred Percentage of Accrued
Benefits Begin Early Benefit Payable
50 10%
55 40%
60 70%
62 82%
Note: If the present value of your vested benefit is less than
$1,000 when you leave all UPS Related Companies, you'll
automatically receive your benefit in a single lump sum
payment. No further benefit will be paid.

rod

Retired 22 years
This coming from a guy who someday will post that he collected the pension for more years than he worked.:rolleyes: And i for one hope you do Rod.
I probably won't reach that goal because my pension is due to go tits up in 2025----but its been a good run anyway.

Texas Tim

Hello there everyone. After several phone calls I found out that anyone hired at UPS after a date in July 2016 no longer recieves a pension. Furthermore, I inquired about the Teamsstaers 401k pension plan and found out that the union nor the company matches any contributions. The only thing that still is out there is the medical. To qualify for medical you must have 20 years of service and be at least 55 years old and based on what the lady mentioned to me you cannot miss too much work either. This is coming from my local 657. Maybe in a few years once I get enough time in I could work full time for 5-10 years to get some form of pension. Who knows. Got 5-10 years before I have to think about that.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Hello there everyone. After several phone calls I found out that anyone hired at UPS after a date in July 2016 no longer recieves a pension. Furthermore, I inquired about the Teamsstaers 401k pension plan and found out that the union nor the company matches any contributions. The only thing that still is out there is the medical. To qualify for medical you must have 20 years of service and be at least 55 years old and based on what the lady mentioned to me you cannot miss too much work either. This is coming from my local 657. Maybe in a few years once I get enough time in I could work full time for 5-10 years to get some form of pension. Who knows. Got 5-10 years before I have to think about that.
That's management. If you're an hourly employee you still get a pension.

Texas Tim

That's management. If you're an hourly employee you still get a pension.

Thanks for replying. This is what I was told. For starters I am talking about time timer pensions. I was told by the union that at UPS the company has always had control of the part timer pensions and that the union only handles the full timers pensions. The lady at the union gave me the following number- 800-643-4442 – UPS Pension Plan which I called and the lady told me that anyone hired after July 16th or some date in July of 2016 at UPS is no longer funding or providing pensions for anyone hired after that date in July 2016.

I am an hourly employee as I started as a package loader. My goal is to move up to a part time air driver role in a couple of years and yes I sign all the bid lists that come out.

If you know of something different please let me know.

Thanks again.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
The lady at the following number 800-643-4442 is wrong...she thought you were a part time supervisor for some unknown reason...I believe you stated that you are 40 and just started part time employment...In 5 years you will be fully vested, in other words be able to collect a pension at age 65...If you stay for 25 years you will get a pension listed in your contract book under (part time pension).

The Teamster/UPS 401k if you decide to join is not matched as a union part time employee...Management's is matched....The pension plan for ALL management will end vesting time as of 2023, any management hired off the street or promoted as of July 2016 are not in that pension plan...they have a 401K match instead...

Texas Tim

Thanks for the help. I emailed the union lady back and told her. She said that was crazy and is having me talk with someone else. When I called the number yesterday and spoke with UPS I even gave her my employee Id number. I could tell she could of cared less. Thanks for the advice. Glad to hear something will be there. With that said I do not plan on working till i am 65 as I want to retire long before that. Goal is 60 from what I gather if you retire with less time the amount is discounted a few points each year.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I wish I could have done 25 but @ 65 23 years was enough of a full and pt. job especially since my buddies; the business agent and my fellow pt steward cashed their chips, stroke and cancer . The p.t pension check is my account the first of the month without fail .I took a little bit less so the wifee would have a guarantee for 10 years in case I throw a six. It is a great deal. Whoever heard of a pension for a part time job. Next stop social security

Texas Tim

I just spoke to the big union guy and yes he said I will get a pension. My plan is to work 20 years and retire on my 61st borthday. Just have to stay healthy. I like the fact you mention you can take a little less so the wife can get some in-case I go first. Thanks for all the advice on here. I was told there is a pension calculator so if anyone knows where that is please post a link.

I do agree getting a pension for a part time job is sweet.

The pension calculator is only for full time union employees. You have a long way to go. Just make sure you work atleast 750 hours a year.
750 hours a year is only 14.5 hours a week. Shouldn't be hard to do unless you are one that will always take a day off when offered. And if you want your wife to receive your pension after you are gone you can almost cut the amount in half. A lot depends on the age difference.

PT Crazy

750 hours a year is only 14.5 hours a week. Shouldn't be hard to do unless you are one that will always take a day off when offered. And if you want your wife to receive your pension after you are gone you can almost cut the amount in half. A lot depends on the age difference.
There are so many part timers that are surprised when they hit 25 years of service and only have 22 years of pension credit. A few too many requests off or call ins along the way. LOL Then they blame everyone else.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
There are several ways to take your PT pension Ito cover you wife .I took the 10 year guarantee which was a small cut from the single life annuity. Mine was cut around $100.00 a month that fixed the payment for 120 months to secure my wife money if I passed away until that time. After 120 months I get the same amount with no death benefit. There are 25% and 50% benefit formulas if you choose to go that way.
The key is 65 or 25 and 750 hours which is a piece of cake since vacation ,personal.and sick days count.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
There are so many part timers that are surprised when they hit 25 years of service and only have 22 years of pension credit. A few too many requests off or call ins along the way. LOL Then they blame everyone else.
I always made sure of the 750 except in my last year I was out on disability. A pretty good gig since my full time job is at a desk.Going to the office and getting a disability check! Typing with a broken wrist is a bit hard though.

Texas Tim

The pension calculator is only for full time union employees. You have a long way to go. Just make sure you work atleast 750 hours a year.
Will do. I started in May and I am almost to 750 hours. I think I will hit 750 by the end of Oct. My goal is to put my time in and get a part time air driver job. I love the idea of working Tues-Sat from 5 Am till 10. For now I want to stay part time and I like working 25-30 hrs a week, just wish I was paid double! One day i will be there..