Will UPS ever deliver ground on Saturday?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
We have had some T-S bids.
They are air drivers for Sat mornings, and then used for ground pick-ups only in the afternoon hours; pick-ups from The UPS Stores and scheduled shippers, but all these pick-ups parcels are not processed until Monday's twi-light shift.

Johney

I was talking to a usps guy a few weeks ago. When the topic of cutting Saturday came around the workers fought it and won. They will keep working 6 days a week.
I didn't hear that good for them. Where I live our mail-girl drives her own truck and works Tuesday-Saturday some other guy does Monday.

bluehdmc

I was talking to a usps guy a few weeks ago. When the topic of cutting Saturday came around the workers fought it and won. They will keep working 6 days a week.

My USPS guy works 5 days, he says they all do. What they do is each route thats cut a piece goes on another route for the coverage. He told me they consolidated a bunch of routes in his area.

Ok, I`m the CEO of UPS and I grant your wish. But you have to now work six days a week to do it. How do you feel about it now?

Wouldn't do that because of \/

It would pretty much be a logistical nightmare and cost a fortune. If the union (agreed / allowed) it, it would all be a time and half.

See above /\
It`s me, the CEO again. You`re the low seniority guy and your schedule is now Tue-Sat. Enjoy.[/QUOTE

And the higher seniority drivers work Mon-Fri. Only advantage is Tues-Sat drivers don't get 3 day weekends, just 6 days pay when a holiday rolls around.

We have tues-sat drivers now at our bldg. It`s a bid time like all others or it will be assigned to the lowest seniority driver but it is a position that will be filled one way or the other. The paragraph for such positions is in our contract as the company sees the need. If they saw the need to go to t-s delivery to stay competitive or to create a prime revenue they will do it and there will be drivers one way or another who will do the job, forced or by choice.

Saying it would be a logistical nightmare is like saying it would be a technical nightmare to leave the lights on for six days instead of five.

UPSGUY72

We have tues-sat drivers now at our bldg. It`s a bid time like all others or it will be assigned to the lowest seniority driver but it is a position that will be filled one way or the other. The paragraph for such positions is in our contract as the company sees the need. If they saw the need to go to t-s delivery to stay competitive or to create a prime revenue they will do it and there will be drivers one way or another who will do the job, forced or by choice.

Saying it would be a logistical nightmare is like saying it would be a technical nightmare to leave the lights on for six days instead of five.

How many people you have working in your building each day. They would need that many people working Sat also. Than what about the feeder drivers that are already near or at there 60 hour limit working only 5 days ??? The scheduled would have to be adjusted so everyone was guaranteed 40 hours. The union would never allow a 6 day work week for each person on a regular basis if they did Saturday would be at time and a half for everyone. Like I said you would run into HOS problems across the board with all drivers.

Those drivers that work T-S deliver Air on Sat not ground most of them are probably (not all) of them are 22.3 jobs.

How many people you have working in your building each day. They would need that many people working Sat also. Than what about the feeder drivers that are already near or at there 60 hour limit working only 5 days ??? The scheduled would have to be adjusted so everyone was guaranteed 40 hours. The union would never allow a 6 day work week for each person on a regular basis if they did Saturday would be at time and a half for everyone. Like I said you would run into HOS problems across the board with all drivers.

Those drivers that work T-S deliver Air on Sat not ground most of them are probably (not all) of them are 22.3 jobs.

1) Volume will not be the same so the need for the same number of staff will not be the same. 2) It would probably not have the same delivery volume, at least at first, so anything delivered would have arrived at the center on Fri night. Anything picked up would not go out until Mon. 3) Feeder drivers at their limit? We already have M-friend, T-S, and S-T drivers. All are five day a week bids,60 hrs a week. All are guaranteed 40 a week.

There is no need for a schedule adjustment, five days a week is five days a week irregardless of what your first day is.
No need for the Union to allow any six day week as there would be none. See sentence above.

We are talking hypothetical here but as I have said if the company sees it as a way to increase market share by providing service on Sat more than we have now they will. There will be M-friend drivers and T-S drivers. Everything else is already there. Trucks, buildings,employees,etc. The only thing that would change is some of the employees weekly start day. Its not hard to understand.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
From what I've seen, the co. has been steadily been making inroads to making this a reality. I believe this will happen. Carefully read your supplement's definitions of workday, workweek, guarantees, alternate schedule, etc. I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut there are enough twists and turns (concessions) already in there.
How many people you have working in your building each day. They would need that many people working Sat also.
Part timers? Their language is 1 giant loophole, big enough to park a set of triple pups and a turnpike doubles in, lengthwise!
Than what about the feeder drivers that are already near or at there 60 hour limit working only 5 days ???
The employer has the option of using the 70 hour in 8 days limit, as long as the driver still has the 34 hour reset.
The scheduled would have to be adjusted so everyone was guaranteed 40 hours. The union would never allow a 6 day work week for each person on a regular basis if they did Saturday would be at time and a half for everyone.
It's my understanding many supplements now have provided for a 5 consecutive day workweek, 6th day @ OT for future schedules. If (or when) enough routes are consistently cut on Mondays, why wouldn't there then be a bunch of 'new' routes up for bid Tuesday through Saturday?
If the word consecutive is taken out (in 2013) of the first sentence above, you have an 'any 5 in 7 day' workweek. I have seen air drivers on such a schedule (current Article 40 section 1(c) language).
Something else to consider: areas with a lot of apartments/condos that are not appropriate for D.R., nor do they have an office or package receiving room, already have a lot of send-agains in the building that could be used to build a Saturday dispatch. Might not necessarily be too successful, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be tried (I'm sure the driver would be blamed if it fails :wink2:).

Or, the co. works on shrinking the residential delivery volume (as has been rumored on this site), concentrating on M-friend business deliveries.

iruhnman630

I doubt there will ever be enough demand for saturday deliveries to justify it.

But as one post mentioned, the company can make us work a tue-sat week. I have been forced to do it on Mothers Day weekend the last two years, and it's all contractual.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is from the Upstate NY supplement to the current NMA:

Article 64 Wages Section 4 Paragraph 6

Effective 8/1/87, the Company may institute a five (5) consecutive day workweek out of seven (7) days for all employees hired after ratification. No present employees hired prior to 8/1/87, working Monday through Friday, shall be laid off or downgraded as a result of the insitution of the five (5) out of seven (7) day workweek.

bumped

We will not deliver ground on Saturdays. UPS makes a larger profit from business deliveries, and many businesses are closed on Saturdays.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I thought I heard that the post office has a roataing schedule. Everyone gets Sunday and one other day off. Monday off, then Tuesday the next week and so on. That would even out the volume.

We will not deliver ground on Saturdays. UPS makes a larger profit from business deliveries, and many businesses are closed on Saturdays.

Premium service for residential, retail, and business` who want it. Look how many times someone`s come on here with their "I just have to have this package......etc". If they will pay sooner or later some of you are going to be browning up.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I mean even out the hours. You would have to have the same amount of people off each day. If all the Saturday guys had off Monday, who would run the Monday volume and Tues thru Fri you would have too many people.