Will UPS let me plug in my Electric Car?

klein

Für Meno :)
Only if you can fill up for $1.32 per 100 miles !

Plug In America estimates that it will cost $2 to $4 to fully charge an all-electric car. For that price, the EVs that will be hitting the market soonest, like the Nissan LEAF, will travel about 100 miles (160.9 kilometers). Of course, your mileage may vary -- in a couple of ways. The cost of electricity in your city will affect that price, and the way you drive your EV will affect how many miles you get per charge.

That said, let's do a little math. In Portland, Ore., where electric cars are gaining ground and the local utility is providing charging infrastructure, electricity runs about 6 cents per kilowatt-hour (kWh). The new Mini E, which is still in field trials, uses .22 kWh per mile, which translates to 22 kWh for 100 miles (160.9 kilometers) of driving. And in Portland, 22 kWh will cost $1.32.

Just to compare, the 2011 Mini Cooper that runs on gasoline gets 31 miles per gallon (49.9 kilometers per gallon) combined, according to the EPA, which translates to 3.2 gallons (12.1 liters) per 100 miles 160.9 kilometers). And if a gallon of gas is about $4.oo, as AAA says it is today, then that same 100 miles (160.9 kilometers) would cost $12.80 in a Mini with an internal combustion engine instead of a Mini with a bank of batteries for the electricity price of $1.32

moreluck

golden ticket member
Electric cars are not taking over anytime soon. I don't see "future elec. station" signs springing up out in the Mojave. Most are uglier than hell (IMO) and people don't want to drive an ugly car. I really don't need any backlash from Prius owners......the ugliest IMO!

UPSGUY72

Electric companies up here have started a new solar energy program.
They install the solar panels (30K value), and the customer pays approx $40 a month for the next 12 or 15 years, until the panels are paid off.
In the meantime your electric meter basically runs backwards, as you are selling back to the grid (no back up generator needed).

In the summer months, esspecially here with 17 hrs daylight, you sell more back, and in the winter you may use a little extra.

I find it an awesome idea !

You got the idea right but not the cost part not even close.

If the customer paid $40 dollars a month it would take 62.5 year to pay off the solar panels. Solar panels also don't last forever they need to be replaced.

The customer also doesn't own the panels they belong to the electric company. They terms of the agreement is usually for 15-20 yrs as that is how long the panels will last before needing to be replaced and your roof will need to be replaced. So at $30,000 for 20 years works out to $125 a month rent for the panels. Most customers see a $40 or $50 dollars savings a month after the electric produced by the panels is taken away from the electric used and the cost of renting the panels.

Wind power is much more affordable than solar. You pay more for the solar panel installation the you save from using the electric they produce that is why all solar power farms that electric company building are subsidised.

brett636

Electric cars are not taking over anytime soon. I don't see "future elec. station" signs springing up out in the Mojave. Most are uglier than hell (IMO) and people don't want to drive an ugly car. I really don't need any backlash from Prius owners......the ugliest IMO!

I used to be quick to put down the idea of an electric vehicle, but now not so much. I drive about 150-175 miles a week and some of the newer electric cars coming out have ranges that meet or exceed that. Especially when you break it down to a daily basis, and the fact that I can charge it in my garage. Considering my disdain for OPEC and what it represents I am finding it more important than ever to get ourselves off of foreign sources of energy. Electric cars aren't perfect, but its a start.

klein

Brett, the new revealed Toyota electric car has 180mile range per charge ! Now, that's awesome !
The cost of electricity to drive it that far, is somewhere between $3 and $4.00

UPSGUY72

I used to be quick to put down the idea of an electric vehicle, but now not so much. I drive about 150-175 miles a week and some of the newer electric cars coming out have ranges that meet or exceed that. Especially when you break it down to a daily basis, and the fact that I can charge it in my garage. Considering my disdain for OPEC and what it represents I am finding it more important than ever to get ourselves off of foreign sources of energy. Electric cars aren't perfect, but its a start.

The distance you can drive is going depend on where you live if you live where it's flat you can go farther if you live where it hilly not so far. Either way you going have to have two (2) cars one electric and a regular one. What happen when you have a emergency or have to go somewhere and you electric car isn't charged?? Also what happen when you drive to someone house and run out of power and they don't have a plug for you to plug in your car for 12 hours to recharge???

So now you have to pay insurance, car payments, and maint. for both cars instead of one.

klein

The distance you can drive is going depend on where you live if you live where it's flat you can go farther if you live where it hilly not so far. Either way you going have to have two (2) cars one electric and a regular one. What happen when you have a emergency or have to go somewhere and you electric car isn't charged?? Also what happen when you drive to someone house and run out of power and they don't have a plug for you to plug in your car for 12 hours to recharge???

So now you have to pay insurance, car payments, and maint. for both cars instead of one.

I disagree, as more and more power stations are popping up, and probably to be seen at regular gas stations in the near future.
Besides that, always carry a long extension cord along, there is always a place to plug in at a friends place of living.

And if someone really wants to drive a super long distance (i.E for vacation), it's always cheaper to rent a car for those 1 or 2 weeks, then just the costs of insurance and registration for a 2nd all yr round car.

Last edited:

moreluck

golden ticket member
I'm not letting ANYBODY plug ANYTHING in at my house !!!! (unless it's a workman doing work for us and pluggung in his tools) Sorry!!

klein

gee, you sure suck !
And here I was thinking about driving to my moms or brothers town, that is about 140 miles away, (1 way), on electricity in the future.
Price : $3.00 there, nothing return (get their electricity) :)

Current price on gas : $100 and more :(

moreluck

golden ticket member
If anyone is so gung-ho over elec. cars, they should be able to plan better. You can't try to play "green" and then plan to rely (steal) on everyone else because you need electricity. It wouldn't make sense to buy an elec. car until everything was in place across the country so you could juice up. That's just called common sense !!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Nobody wants to pay YOUR electric responsibilities.....typical 'greenie' mentality..."I'm doing good for the world, pay me, take care of me...."

Nobody really wants to breath your exhaust fumes either, but its not like we have a choice.

And if you want to complain about "your taxes" being used to subsidize "someone elses" plug-in station or renewable fuel tax credits, then I am equally entitled to complain about "my taxes" being used to subsidize the billions upon billions of dollars per year we are spending to fight wars and maintain a military presence in the Persian Gulf.

You cant have it both ways. If you dont want to support renewable energy then you should be required to pay a $5 per gallon "war tax" on every gallon of fuel you buy instead of expecting our great-grandchildren to inherit the debt we are accumulating to support your driving habits.

I think most people who buy electric cars would be more than happy to pay for the electricity that they use, they just need a way to plug the car in while they are at work. Its a chicken-and-egg type of situation; if we want more people to buy electric cars then we need to develop the infrastructure to support them first.

Or, we could just say to hell with it and keep drilling for oil and fighting in wars for it until its all gone and our grandkids are left bankrupt amidst millions of worthless cars for which no fuel is available.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I'm not complaining about my taxes going for stuff like that.........they go for schools that I don't use too. I'm complaining about wanting to plug into MY HOUSE and steal my electricity just because you choose to drive an elec. car. I pay MY elec bill !! Go find a recharging station.....oh, they don't have them yet? Then don't buy an elec car yet!