Will you take SS immediately or delay like they want you to?

brett636

It mentions mailing a paper social security statement to workers, but I know I’ve received those in the past. They stopped showing up so I figured the government could save some money on the cost of mailing them.

Over70irregs

Might want to grab it soon. Someone has to pay for all the football fields of military gear waiting to be shipped to Europe. Surely they are not gonna let SS n 401k sit there idle while spending all this $ for………
1678162795587.png

PT Car Washer

Might want to grab it soon. Someone has to pay for all the football fields of military gear waiting to be shipped to Europe. Surely they are not gonna let SS n 401k sit there idle while spending all this $ for………
View attachment 420128
Those M1's aren't going to the Ukraine. Maybe some of the Brads and a bunch of the 113's and the trucks. Better to use them then just sitting out in the desert.

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
Those M1's aren't going to the Ukraine. Maybe some of the Brads and a bunch of the 113's and the trucks. Better to use them then just sitting out in the desert.
Just Googled. President Joe Biden announced today that the United States will provide Ukraine with 31 M1 Abrams tanks. That is the required number to equip an entire Ukraine tank battalion.Jan 25, 2023

Babagounj

Strength through joy
If your FRA is 67 the break-even point between 62 and 70 is around 80.
The break even point is a myth.
One is guaranteed funds, no matter what age you start.
Given that there is the possibility of a 27% reduction of your amount in 2035, It makes more sense to wait until age 70.
That way you will receive a larger amount, no matter what happens.

Over70irregs

The break even point is a myth.
One is guaranteed funds, no matter what age you start.
Given that there is the possibility of a 27% reduction of your amount in 2035, It makes more sense to wait until age 70.
That way you will receive a larger amount, no matter what happens.
Or you can make moves now while young and not be dependent on a fiat ponzi. Age plays a BIG role I see.

Red Headed Stranger

But you forgot about taxes.
If you start collecting before your full retirement age depending on your income your subject to your social security being taxed
For Federal, your Social Security is taxed in most cases. You will pay tax on up to 85% of your Social Security benefits. Depending on the state where you live, it may or may not be taxed at the state level as well. Based upon the numbers you gave in your previous post, you could lose up to $92,592 if you were waited to take SS at age 65 but died right before turning 65. When deciding when to take Social Security, I tell people that if that is all the income they will have in retirement, they are better off waiting until full-retirement age or beyond. If you have a good pension (UPS), I'd encourage someone to draw sooner and enjoy life. Also, look at the age your parents/grandparents lived to be. That would be another indicator.

For Federal, your Social Security is taxed in most cases. You will pay tax on up to 85% of your Social Security benefits. Depending on the state where you live, it may or may not be taxed at the state level as well. Based upon the numbers you gave in your previous post, you could lose up to $92,592 if you were waited to take SS at age 65 but died right before turning 65. When deciding when to take Social Security, I tell people that if that is all the income they will have in retirement, they are better off waiting until full-retirement age or beyond. If you have a good pension (UPS), I'd encourage someone to draw sooner and enjoy life. Also, look at the age your parents/grandparents lived to be. That would be another indicator.
Yes unfortunate that I do not live in a state that taxes my pension, 401k or social security

I agree with you about enjoying life and taking it on earlier side
I still have a little bit to go so I'll figure it out

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
These folk that want no changes, do they want the plan to go broke? 62 is too young to start draining the fund.

Another problem is people scamming to get on ssi disability. Let's make it really difficult to get on and stay on. It is way too easy right now.

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
These folk that want no changes, do they want the plan to go broke? 62 is too young to start draining the fund.

Another problem is people scaming to get on ssi disability. Let's make it really difficult to get on and stay on. It is way too easy right now.
Disability is what broke the bank.