Winter Gear

rod

Retired 22 years
I have noticed many centers allow beards but in the up of Michigan clean shaven is a must or sent home think it's comical when I saw a driver in Florida with full beard
Just show how stupid some people are. Who in there right mind would want a beard when it 90 degrees and humid out?

Method Mensch

Had our first freeze here. What do you use to stay warm in the winter? Whether it be company provided or not?

Also, side question: I was only issued short-sleeves and a hoodless rain jacket. I was told they're not ordering anything else from Twin Hill, so I can only get whatever's in the big bag of leftovers up in HR. Any idea what I should be looking for? ie do they make large-tall stuff or should I not even try looking?

Had our first freeze here. What do you use to stay warm in the winter? Whether it be company provided or not?

Also, side question: I was only issued short-sleeves and a hoodless rain jacket. I was told they're not ordering anything else from Twin Hill, so I can only get whatever's in the big bag of leftovers up in HR. Any idea what I should be looking for? ie do they make large-tall stuff or should I not even try looking?
Screen shot 2011-05-17 at 11.41.03 PM.png
These chaps and nothing else. Good for all 4 seasons.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Just show how stupid some people are. Who in there right mind would want a beard when it 90 degrees and humid out?

It could possibly be someone who actually has a legit skin issue and can't shave.

My building has guys I'm sure are faking because they try to sculpt it their beard into something they think is cool.

rod

Retired 22 years
It could possibly be someone who actually has a legit skin issue and can't shave.

My building has guys I'm sure are faking because they try to sculpt it their beard into something they think is cool.
I would bet those who have a legitimate skin issue are few and far between. Same with religious reason. Anyone can claim their religion wants them to look like hobos.

a911scanner

So long as I have a UPS labeled vest & brown pants on, I'm good to go.

I bought/buy many brown colored items to wear under my UPS clothing.

I am usually wearing about $1500 worth of gear on a cold day, as a cold day here would make many of you cry.

I consider it my investment in my job, or else I couldn't do it, because I am a freeze-baby.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So long as I have a UPS labeled vest & brown pants on, I'm good to go.

I bought/buy many brown colored items to wear under my UPS clothing.

I am usually wearing about $1500 worth of gear on a cold day, as a cold day here would make many of you cry.

I consider it my investment in my job, or else I couldn't do it, because I am a freeze-baby.

$1,500 worth of gear on a cold day?? Unless you are shopping at LL Bean I call BS.

$200-300 would be more reasonable, and that includes a good pair of boots.

Mack37

$1,500 worth of gear on a cold day?? Unless you are shopping at LL Bean I call BS.

$200-300 would be more reasonable, and that includes a good pair of boots.

Yeah that is a whole lot of money. I looked up the total cost of non discounted clothing that a walking carrier might wear in a very cold state just for comparison.

Long sleeve letter carrier shirt- $38.99
Regulation winter weight pants- $66.99
Waterproof/windproof over pants- $200.99
Waterproof breathable parka shell-$317.99
Heavyweight jacket liner- $166.99
Fur hat- $28.99
Overshoes-$108.99
Reebok postal approved shoes- $168.99

Now that’s about $1100 worth of stuff to wear but it’s a bit extreme to wear all of that crap. If I can’t hit $1500 buying our overpriced uniforms, I don’t know where you’re buying your stuff.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Yeah that is a whole lot of money. I looked up the total cost of non discounted clothing that a walking carrier might wear in a very cold state just for comparison.

Long sleeve letter carrier shirt- $38.99
Regulation winter weight pants- $66.99
Waterproof/windproof over pants- $200.99
Waterproof breathable parka shell-$317.99
Heavyweight jacket liner- $166.99
Fur hat- $28.99
Overshoes-$108.99
Reebok postal approved shoes- $168.99

Now that’s about $1100 worth of stuff to wear but it’s a bit extreme to wear all of that crap. If I can’t hit $1500 buying our overpriced uniforms, I don’t know where you’re buying your stuff.
You guys have to buy your uniforms?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do you guys get a clothing allowance?

Under Armour tops/bottoms-----$100 ($50/ea)
Winter socks (2)------$10 ($5/ea)
Sweat pants ------ $5
Black turtleneck ----- $5
Boots ----- $80

Total $200

Toque is supplied by company.

Real men don't wear gloves.

Zowert

UPS hoodie with a vest over it and shorts. It seems to be the right combo to keep me warm but not get too hot. In the winter I tend to get more stops off in less time simply because I keep moving to stay warm. In the summer heat my stops per hour average goes down, wouldn’t want to get heat exhaustion.