Woman Crashed Into Back of Parked UPS Truck, So Her Father’s Suing UPS

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Woman Crashed Into Back of Parked UPS Truck, So Her Father’s Suing UPS - Patch

The young woman, who has since died, pleaded guilty in her traffic case.

The father of a now deceased Shorewood woman who pleaded guilty to crashing into the back of a parked United Parcel Service truck is now suing United Parcel Service.

The UPS truck was illegally parked, according to the lawsuit, and was very dirty and difficult to see. Also, the suit said, the lack of skid marks indicated Johanna Burchardt “didn’t make an effort to avoid the illegally parked vehicle because she couldn’t see it.”

over9five

Staff member
I guess I would argue that if she didn't see a big truck, she wouldn't have seen a dog, a horse, a child, a busload of nuns. I'm thinking she probably should have reduced her speed based on that.
R.I.P. driver, at least Dad will get a nice paycheck....

rod

Retired 22 years
Maybe UPS should rethink their "park the truck on the road and walk it in" policy. This story really don't give us all the facts. Night time? Parked on the road or off to the side? Lights on? Young gal on her cell phone?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Woman Crashed Into Back of Parked UPS Truck, So Her Father’s Suing UPS - Patch

The young woman, who has since died, pleaded guilty in her traffic case.

The father of a now deceased Shorewood woman who pleaded guilty to crashing into the back of a parked United Parcel Service truck is now suing United Parcel Service.

The UPS truck was illegally parked, according to the lawsuit, and was very dirty and difficult to see. Also, the suit said, the lack of skid marks indicated Johanna Burchardt “didn’t make an effort to avoid the illegally parked vehicle because she couldn’t see it.”
Ambulance chaser ... UPS will settle out of court.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Maybe they should subpoena the driver investigation performed in house that, I'm sure, finds the driver at fault. Maybe they can bring in the safety chair and show us in chalk, on the floor, how the driver could have parked better.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Maybe they should subpoena the driver investigation performed in house that, I'm sure, finds the driver at fault. Maybe they can bring in the safety chair and show us in chalk, on the floor, how the driver could have parked better.
It'll never get that far ... just someone trying to get rich off a Big Corporation.
More Americans become Millionaires this way than any other means.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
It'll never get that far ... just someone trying to get rich off a Big Corporation.
More Americans become Millionaires this way than any other means.
Who's fault is it, the corporations who don't fight or the ambulance chasers? It's just as easy to not bring to light in house practices that will open doors for future litigation. Same as it ever was.

Retiree

UPS typically will settle out of court. Large Corporations don't do well in front of juries who have no problem with Corporate Wealth Redistribution......whether guilty or not

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Who's fault is it, the corporations who don't fight or the ambulance chasers? It's just as easy to not bring to light in house practices that will open doors for future litigation. Same as it ever was.
It was her fault ... she ran into the back of a parked truck.

Retiree

Exactly. It was her fault but that does not mean the family can't sue. The questions Rod asked are the same questions a jury would ask. If the answers are in the road and no flashers on, there is no way UPS would take this to trial.

oldngray

nowhere special
Exactly. It was her fault but that does not mean the family can't sue. The questions Rod asked are the same questions a jury would ask. If the answers are in the road and no flashers on, there is no way UPS would take this to trial.

This is one of the ambulance chaser lawsuits that reinforces why the losers should pay court costs to discourage the frivolous ones.

km3

UPS typically will settle out of court. Large Corporations don't do well in front of juries who have no problem with Corporate Wealth Redistribution......whether guilty or not

A local lawyer who has experience against FedEx told me that FedEx would fight tooth and nail, even in a case where they have no chance, because they don't want a reputation as a company that will give out free money just for being brought into the courtroom to begin with. Oh well. FedEx is FedEx, UPS is UPS.

oldngray

nowhere special
A local lawyer who has experience against FedEx told me that FedEx would fight tooth and nail, even in a case where they have no chance, because they don't want a reputation as a company that will give out free money just for being brought into the courtroom to begin with. Oh well. FedEx is FedEx, UPS is UPS.

They will spend more money fighting it to avoid setting a precedent to discourage future lawsuits.

jaker

trolling
So let's get this right , your daughter killed someone because she wasn't paying attention and she now Dead for whatever reason and you are going to sue ups for what

As far as I know she didn't die in the accident so what is her lost or his lost for the accident

10 Pt

Maybe UPS should rethink their "park the truck on the road and walk it in" policy. This story really don't give us all the facts. Night time? Parked on the road or off to the side? Lights on? Young gal on her cell phone?
Another rendetion said it was 11 AM and there were five people are injured:
The driver, her husband, two children in their vehicle and the ups driver were all taken from the scene to get medical attention.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
So....the accident happened in DEC of 2014. She pleaded guilty in May of 2015 and then she died in OCT of 2015. Was her death related to accident? And why 2 years later is this coming out that he is suing?