Won my over 9 1/2 greivances!

DS

Fenderbender
I have a question.Up here we have no over 9.5 rule.What is it you win when you grieve having to work over 9.5?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
If it happens consistently, you are suppose to get double time for every time you file, consistent used to be like 3 days in a week, for every click over 9.5. But it seems to be now if you establish a pattern and you have voiced that you dont want 11 every day of your precious life. But they try to fight the "we only gave you 8 it just took 10 to do it" montra. AS everyone knows especially them,,,,,,,,, that a time study as old as most are, are not accurate by any means. So they reduce it or pay. Everyone doesn t want to do it because of fear of retaliation, but they already follow you, they disect the reports, if you are screwing up, they already know with GPS and such. So if you are honestly being beat into the ground, they will pay. Or change,

DS

Fenderbender
Wow! if I could grieve every 9.5 day that ended up being 11.75 over the last 16 years,I would be able to go on world cruises like trucker:wink:

theyhateus

I have filed 5 9.5. greivances in the last 6 months. The first 4 were in 4 consecutive weeks. We had the big meeting with the union, and UPS said they would correct it. I filed again last Friday night after a very long 11 hour day. I was frustrated and really let them have it. I even wrote on the back of the greivance because it would not fit on the front. On Tuesday evening the guy that signs my payroll check whom I had never met came to our "out of the way" center. He and the union guys met with me personally, and made the center manager ride with me Wednesday. We worked 10 hrs. I had a great day Thursday, and then today another 11 hour day. I have yet to get any money, and I am sick of working my :censored2: off for 10+ hours a day!!

Ruralbrownman

I think you may be incorrect OUTTA HOURS , unless our contracts read differently.
I believe you must dispatched and work over 9.5 in order to file and win a pay grievance. So I.E. would have something to do with it , if a driver files and wins , you think they would not adjust his allowance!!!!!
Our BA has told us we can file if we work over 9.5 , and not be dispatch over 9.5 , just to let the company know there is a problem. However , I doubt anything will come of it. We have a driver who runs consistantly an hour or so off performance. There has been numerous people ride with him from the district , all have told him there is a problem with his allowance but there is nothing they can do about it.

To our Canandian brother here is the wordage from our contract book on the over 9.5

" the company shall continue its effort to reduce overtime where requested. if the review does not indicate progress is being made in the reduction of assigned hours fo work , the following language shall apply. an emploee shall have the right to file a grievence if the company has continually ( means any 3 days in 5 consecutively scheduled workdays) caused him/her to work over 9.5 hours per day. the understanding of the parties is that the employee must be dispatched over 9.5 and have worked over the 9.5 for there to be a violation of this article. once an employee has filed a grievance and the employer has benn instructed to comply , the panal hearing the grievance alleging a second violation of the over 9.5 provision for package driver contained in this section shall have the authority to rule that double time pay shall shall be awarded for the time worked and dispatched over 9.5 on the day for which the grievance was filed , if in fact , a second violation occured. such second violation must occur within 9 months of the first decision. the panal hearing the grievance shall also have the right to determine whether the company has made every effort to reduce the overtime as requested. this procedure will not apply in the peak season of november and december. no package driver will intentionally be dispatched over 9.5 on any given day if package drivers are on layoff. in the event over dispatched hours exceed 8 hours while driver are on layoff in that center , it will be a violation. it is understood the company has little control over fluctuations in pickup volume on assigned areas and this will not be included in calculating planned day. "

So as you can see there are plenty outs for the company.

over9five

Staff member
"Allowance" and "planned day" have nothing to do with it.

If you punched out past 9.5, then obviously you were dispatched with over 9.5.

Your BA is letting you down! Get rid of him if he won't support you.

Ruralbrownman

According to what we have been told you must have a planned day of over 9.5 to have a grievance. If your planned is only 9.1 and it takes you 10 hours to get it done , you can file the grievance but you will not get the double time for it.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Ruralbrownman, that is the whole case, the allowances are not correct and they know it. If you work 11 hrs, and they cant prove you doing anything wrong, which is why you will get rides, they have to pay. since they changed our allowances, and the union did nothing, they are giving us what the end of day says is only 8.2 or some bs but we are working 10 and 11 to get it done. Which is why the union did nothing because production is a none issue. You will find nothing on production in your handbook, only a fair days work for a fair days pay, and the standards are not fair. I guess only worn out can address how late vs planned day he was, and he won, so maybe he will enlighten us as he seems to be the only one who had the ba*** to file.

Ruralbrownman

toonertoo I agree with what you are saying. My only question is the wordage says you must be dispatched and work over the 9.5.
Does that mean dispatched by their numbers , which we all know are way off , or just worked over 9.5. Hopefully worn out will let us know what his case was.

over9five

Staff member
I don't understand why your BA doesn't know the union doesn't recognize their time standards!

Are you sure he's not management?

helenofcalifornia

One of our drivers gets to clock out at 6 because of day care issues. What happens with the 20-30 stops the driver no longer has in the truck? Yeah, that's right. Another driver gets slammed with the additional stops. SO unfair and so obvious a case of favoritism.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
"day care issues?" when I got hired my boss told me they didnt like to hire women coz of problems with kids etc.
Never missed a day because of child care issues, thats something that has to be arranged for, men or women.

I think family problems should be considered. Im just saying they are not unless you are a favored few.

DS

Fenderbender
helenofcalifornia...hi...we have a few drivers that have a special deal with them.Its unspoken but its obvious.Some guys leave the bldg with 70 stops .....nothing on the floor...and they punch out before 5pm...some guys have been there so long they just do deliveries...no pickups... code 05 every day and they run scratch...the rest of us get slammed.Now I`m in no way saying its as bad as it is there,they let me pull a split if I think I`ll be over 12 hours,and theres no over 9.5 rule here.I basically dispatch myself,and I always seem to overdispatch myself.Add 18 oncalls to the 65 stops and 23 pickups in my log and it can get quite hectic.
If we go in at 730 AM they let you go on the clock because preload is so ****ed up,they seem to really appreciate it.But that will change overnight when they do the big management shuffle that they like to do. God I love working for UPS.

tieguy

Banned
Tie

How should the time standards work into the settlement? The way I understand the contract, it says hours worked, not planned. If you only plan 9 hours, but work 10, then you have a issue with the dispatch.d

danny I asked first. Some are more efficent then others. just curious how work measurement worked into the grievance hearing.

wornoutupser

Rural,
It is not a "planned day" issue, it is for time worked on the clock.
With the newer and more unfair time standards, Superman could not run scratch on my run!
I would LOVE nothing more than to see a Corporate person come down here and demonstrate to me how to run scratch on my run. The stinking truck won't drive fast enough!

upsgoingdown

upsgoingdown
congrates on your win. check out upswrong enter and scroll down to the last paragragh and click on the link for advertiser news, thats my story that was printed in the paper, if you have any advice i sure could use it.
thanks vincent