Work Comp Due To Layoffs

King Of Queens

I work in California and was told by my Center Mgr about 2 weeks ago that Work Comp in our district was at a all time high. He said tons of FT Drivers and Cover Drivers were going out on comp to get inj taken care off, but most of there were going to be affected by the layoffs.... Has anyone else seen this.....what are your thoughts.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I work in California and was told by my Center Mgr about 2 weeks ago that Work Comp in our district was at a all time high. He said tons of FT Drivers and Cover Drivers were going out on comp to get inj taken care off, but most of there were going to be affected by the layoffs.... Has anyone else seen this.....what are your thoughts.

Take whatever your immediate sup, center manager, district manager says and reverse it (180 degreespin), then spin it slightly 30 degrees either way, and you have the truth.

brother in brown

I myself am off on work comp right now and hope that does not affect my position or the position of another based on employees that are off on comp right now... As far as the layoffs in general-I have read about alot of people being worried about being layed off or in house crews being replaced by drivers and in house with not alot of time being pushed out to layoff. At my location the only people I have ever seen get layed off are the peak season helpers and those guys or gals know that going into the position. That or the weak that do not survive they're probation period. Based outta the West.

redshift1

UPS is a very challenging place to work with unremitting pressure and some employees feel this entitles them to claim an imaginary injury. In the long run this reduces "R" days for working employees and will lead to a reduction of WC benefits in the future. Currently UPS is hard pressed to take any action except in the most flagrant of circumstances. Do people get injured, of course, here in CA i've seen as much as 8-10% of Drivers in one bldg off on WC. This type of "me first mentality" hurts everyone it's no different from stealing.

New Englander

It is stealing.

Though when I injured my shoulder I was treated like a second class citizen and a fraud. Now.....screw them. It doesn't bother me one bit when someone goes out on comp, even if I think they are faking it.

UPS creates a lot of it's own problems with the work force. I've been honest since day one. Yet after going through that with them? You better believe I'm not working through anymore pain for them!

redshift1

That's the problem with dishonesty it casts a cloud of suspicion on everyone even the innocent are doubted. Most drivers go through the "screw them" phase as a measure of self preservation.

Yes, it is absolutely fraud.

Not if you are hurt.
Right now and for the last three months I have been nursing a sore elbow, at first I just thought it would go away as many bumps and bruises do. However, three months is plenty time for a simple bump/bruise to heal. I am now faced with either taking time off on my own and using my insurance to pay doctors and such for something that actually happened on the job or faking a new injury. Tell me again how this fraud crap happens? What about when someone comes in with a minor injury to report and the sup conveniently doesn't have time to work with the driver in calling the injury hot line for hours and tells them to report it in the a.m. or they demean you for being a wimp to complain about a little bump yet when that little bump exacerbates into something serious they try to claim you didn't report it in time.
UPS looks for chances to screw it's employees whether it is with ways to eliminate having to pay penalties for contract infractions by inserting new made up rules or by simple manipulation of time cards or changing the rules for a person on progression to make full wage scale or or flat out lying about a numerous other things on a daily basis. DON"T friggin talk about integrity when the company has NONE.

If you want to, you can go back on past threads on this forum and find every one of my examples that have happened to someone on this board. I didn't make any of this up.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I don't have any body parts left to injure. I guess Comp is not an option for me.:happy-very:
Oh Big, I bet you have un-injured body parts, they may be un-used but that doesn't mean they are injured.
36_1_19.gif

Big Babooba

Oh Big, I bet you have un-injured body parts, they may be un-used but that doesn't mean they are injured.
36_1_19.gif
My ankles - forget it
knees - good days and bad
back - bothers me
arms and shoulders - a little achy
neck – sometimes stiff
head – always hurting
ass – been chewed out by management so many times, it’s long gone!:knockedout: