Work During Non-Option Vacation Week

thom1842

I just put in for my vacation for the year and when I turned it in my manager asked me if I wanted to work during my option week or have it off. I said I would work, no problem there. Then he said that as we are understaffed I would probably have to work through my two non-option weeks too. Can they make me work during these weeks if I want to take them off?? I am low-ish in senority, but I earned those two weeks and I want them off!

Here it's only been the last 5 or so years that you could "sell" your vacation weeks and work them. That is the employee's option. The company can not take away your vaca time provided you have enough reports to earn them. Once the vaca schedule has been submitted to payroll, they can't even make you delay your vaca. Actually the same rules apply to the option week.

loserupser

Two minute Therapist
HAHAA!!!! It never ceases to amaze me the nerve of some management people. Trying to manipulate the less informed!!!
You do NOT have to work during your vacation period!!!!!!!
Not even your option week. If you wanna avoid the come on we need you speech just say your going out of town:peaceful:

You don't have to work them, but if you do, make sure you are getting time and a half for all hours you work.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Hate to tell you this but you might want to read the new contract. If you work during your vacation you are considered to be lowest on the totem pole and even if you have a bidded route the cover driver that was awarded your route for that week GETS YOUR ROUTE FOR THAT WEEK!!!!!!!! You get whatever route is left over after everyone else has picked. I know this to be fact as it came straight from Andy M (he wrote the contract). The point was to keep drivers from getting paid twice. Once for the vacation time and once for actully working on your vacation.

rocket man

Take your time off if you cant afford it then go to dhl at least you will have a excuse to work on your vaction. the union fought not only with thIs company but many others to GET YOUR TIME OFF.:biting:TAKE YOU EARNED IT.

A

Anonymous dd

UHHHH, you should get paid twice if you work, the vacation week and the hours you auctually work. that is why people sell the week for the xtra pay

705red

Browncafe Steward
UHHHH, you should get paid twice if you work, the vacation week and the hours you auctually work. that is why people sell the week for the xtra pay
That is why we cant get more ftime package car jobs! If you have a vacation coming, take it everyone! You should only be allowed to work through your option week, like i might just to put that option week straight into my 401 pre-tax for my retirement.

ol'browneye

I have never worked my option week. But a couple years ago I had a vacation week coming and told the center manager that I really had nothing planned. I knew we were short people and if he needed me a couple of days I wouldn't mind working. His reply was that they couldn't do that because it wasn't allowed by payroll and...blah, blah, blah. Just last year they were shorthanded during a week I was on vacation and my supe called and asked if I wanted to work a couple of days!!! Of course I told him no. Just goes to show that they can do whatever they want, whenever they want went it benefits them!

Take those weeks off! They can't make you work on your vacation!

JustTired

free at last.......
Don't think for a minute that somebody isn't keeping track of these things. If a high percentage of employees are selling there vacation back, it could be used against us in future negotiations. That option week might just disappear.

My feelings are that I don't get enough time off as it is. Heck, one year they paid me for an option day that I somehow didn't take. Boy, was I ticked. How could I have missed taking a day off? Believe me.....that hasn't happened since.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
"The Employer shall not allow any employee
to work a vacation week which has been selected during
the vacation selection period or to work a vacation week
which has been selected at a later date by mutual agreement." This is the new language in the Southwest Rider. I would sugjest that every one look at their own riders to see if that is similar language.​

rod

Retired 22 years
"The Employer shall not allow any employee​

to work a vacation week which has been selected during
the vacation selection period or to work a vacation week
which has been selected at a later date by mutual agreement." This is the new language in the Southwest Rider. I would sugjest that every one look at their own riders to see if that is similar language.
interesting- looks like they snuck another monkeywrench into the contract.:peaceful:

A

Anonymous dd

I do not sell my vacation nor do i work them, i am a new driver (1 year driving) got 1 week in may and 3 in november, will be taking all days off, however i put all option week in 401k and still dont work, i just have it like that lololololololol