Work Ethic of New Drivers

over9five

Staff member
They're not your employees, Dave. Your center manager should be doing something about the guy who won't step it up. Your beef is with the center manager. If your center manager was doing his job (motivating that driver), you wouldn't have to go take those 30 stops.

As for "Shoulder Man", I think your center manager did the right thing by telling him not to come back till he's cleared for full duty. That was plain ol' dirty, not doing the route he didn't want to do, and blaming it on an injury.

Pooter

5 stops in 2.5 hours?? :D

2 stops done, need to take my 50 min lunch.

Can't you refuse to help the same guy Upstate? It's what I do if it's the same "known" lazy guy and I'm low seniority.

upschuck

I think the problem is that parents try to give their kids everything they can and not instill into them a good work ethic, so when they turn adult, they don't think they need to work hard, and are God's gift to the world, because that is what they have been told all their lives.

Ouch

Why do i feel like this is upstates way of patting himselfon the back. Took stops off, came in on scheduled day off, took more stops off, had a motivational talk with driver, and so on. We all know why you came in on your scheduled day off.

Ouch

In our building we always help other drivers. Especially the newbies. We have a brotherhood between the drivers in our loops, for the most part. If I need help one day I usually get it. If the driver next to me needs help I usually offer help. It should be a brother hood where you stick together.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I think the problem is that parents try to give their kids everything they can and not instill into them a good work ethic, so when they turn adult, they don't think they need to work hard, and are God's gift to the world, because that is what they have been told all their lives.
Kind of had this argument with my best friend. Full disclosures I don't have kids yet and the wife and I do poor much better than most.

He works 4 days a week and is home by 3-4 most days. He wants a new job that makes more so "I can spoil my wife and kids and give them everything they want". Of course the wife and I are told we don't understand because we are well off.

This is how I explained it. I want to give my kids the best opprutunity to fulfill their full potential. I do not want to give my kids all kinds of stuff. Do I want to give them the easiest path possible to achieve greatness yes. I don't feel that's done by just giving them everything.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
This "new Generation " has to start by pulling up their pants,take those stupid gauge holes outah there ears and stop putting Tattoo's on every inch of their arm,leg and face !! that is what scares me of the future !
(no i'm not against tattoos ,but come on now )

upschuck

I think this applies to the topic of this thread about the new generation's work ethic.

N.J. Honor Student Booted From Home Sues Parents for College Aid. A northern New Jersey honor student who claims her parents threw her out of their home when she turned 18 late last year is now suing them.

Read more here

It irks me a bit when I see all these HS and college kids driving around in 30-40k cars and has the attitude that I need to do this or that to make them happy. Not going to happen here.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
This is why many of us say not just anyone can do this job. Ok just about anyone CAN do the job. The number willing to is greatly in decline.

I don't know how old most of you were before you thought of 18-25 year olds as a new generation. I'm barely 30 and even a few years ago I had realized there was already a huge generational gap between me and the younger 20 something's.
i'm in my mid 30's....a new guy literally half my age was complaining about how heavy the boxes are....are you kidding me? He could barely life 50 lbs....who hires these idiots? He'll quit by friday...

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
In all honesty, I think its us Americans who are getting more lazy by the days. It's funny how all the immigrants in my center work the hardest. I think I'm one of the three Americans who work hard in my building. This also applies to the drivers.
Immgirants? We don't have any of those in my building...except the guys manning the guard shack....most of them barely speak English.
and how does your blanket statement apply to the drivers...do you sit in the jumpseat on their routes and watch them work? How can YOU possibly know which drivers work harder than others? You load trailers...when do even see a package driver except when they're hauling :censored2: out of the building at night? You ain't even know jack. And my wonderful 804 brother.....how come you have had NOTHING to say regarding the 804 walkout last week? I find that.....very strange. Your building's closer to Maspeth than mine....

Last edited:

abadjam

Y'all killing me calling some drivers off the street I think nobody was born in ups facility leave this drivers alone if center manager know it can deal with them what's the friend..... Problem

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Y'all killing me calling some drivers off the street I think nobody was born in ups facility leave this drivers alone if center manager know it can deal with them what's the friend..... Problem
Holy run on sentence. You'll be taken much more seriously when using proper grammar and punctuation.

rod

Retired 22 years
We all know that Upstate got worried an called his center manager on his own private number and asked if everything was going ok being that he had taken the day off. His center manager said "Oh Dave the place is falling apart without you. Would you jump into your phone booth and put on your tights and cape and come save the day?"--- and the rest is history.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Just in address corrections I notice issues with new guys. They never use service crosses, toss out call tags, only mark one package as bad when there are 2 or 3 that need to be fixed. The older drivers are great. They always write down the correct address if they know it. Bring them to me. Even the seasonal guys from my sort were great because they knew how frustrating it is going all over creation looking for things. New guys just figure they aren't on the sort anymore so why bother.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
We all know that Upstate got worried an called his center manager on his own private number and asked if everything was going ok being that he had taken the day off. His center manager said "Oh Dave the place is falling apart without you. Would you jump into your phone booth and put on your tights and cape and come save the day?"--- and the rest is history.
It's a bird...it's a plane....it's Super Dave!

over9five

Staff member
It just occurred to me we're talking about how bad young peoples work ethics are, but in another thread many thought it was perfectly OK for Circle of Honor and other senior drivers to book off whenever it snows....
Where's the old guys work ethic???

It's definitely an "I'm entitled to" thing, just like young drivers.

Last edited: