Work Ethic of New Drivers

My observations from reading this thread:

A) UPS has spent hundreds of millions trying to "dumb" down the position of service provider. Between PAS, EDD, Orion, and Telematics, they feel that any warm body can sit in my seat and run my route. It takes a strong work ethic to do this job MEDIOCRE let alone EXCEL.

B) The "entitled" new generation is at the doorstep now. The young new hires come in the building and are met by cracking whips and warning letters. UPS has opened themselves up to employees that just do what they can and show no pride in their work. In the mid 90's when I was hired, preloaders CARED how the truck was loaded, drivers CARED how the customers were treated, and supervisors CARED if you needed to get out early for a child's soccer game. These future drivers don't have the time to care or to have pride in a job well done. That PRIDE has evaporated once UPS hit Wall ST.

C) Dave is a hell of a driver :wink-very:
I agreed on 90% of your post!...lol

200161446-001-woman-poking-man-in-stomach-mid-section-gettyimages.jpg
Do the, Hokey Pokey and turn yourself around??

Jj1213

Need that full time
Management loves new guys who are scared of them and little puppets. Jumping over hurdles working there lunch just to scratch

govols019

You smell that?
Every generation thinks the one that comes after it is somehow less than they were. Out of our last 4 new drivers, two are outstanding, one is decent and the other is a barely functioning maroon. I would be willing to bet that pattern has repeated itself since the beginning of UPS as we know it.

Every generation thinks the one that comes after it is somehow less than they were. Out of our last 4 new drivers, two are outstanding, one is decent and the other is a barely functioning maroon. I would be willing to bet that pattern has repeated itself since the beginning of UPS as we know it.
The pattern will continue....the last driver, will be your next sup!

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Why do i feel like this is upstates way of patting himselfon the back. Took stops off, came in on scheduled day off, took more stops off, had a motivational talk with driver, and so on. We all know why you came in on your scheduled day off.
Coming in on my day off= OH HELL NO NO:peaceful: WAY NO HOW AMIGO, NEVER EVER EVER FREAKIN GOING TO HAPPEN

cino321

I hate our new drivers. The only thing they know how to do is deliver residential stops really fast. They're sloppy, reckless, and only care about scratching.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I have been a casual for two peak seasons. I loved the job from the start and still do. I was laid off January 17th, but got a call from HR last week that I was their top pick to come back full-time. If I get it, I'll be working even harder than I did as a casual, smiling the whole way. It's an easy job compared to other jobs I've had and it pays well. Hearing about the OP's co-workers makes me wonder how people get anywhere these days.

Sent using BrownCafe App
You think its an easy job, til you start getting some high miles on them knees, back, hips, elbows and ankles. Hit us back in 5 to 10 years years, youngblood and let us know which body part hurts the worse lol.

satellitedriver

It just occurred to me we're talking about how bad young peoples work ethics are, but in another thread many thought it was perfectly OK for Circle of Honor and other senior drivers to book off whenever it snows....
Where's the old guys work ethic???

It's definitely an "I'm entitled to" thing, just like young drivers.
Ha,ha.
Entitled?
It took me 21yrs to call in sick.
I earned the right to be included into the Circle of Honor.
If one does not have a strong work ethic, time will weed out the weak.
Sadly, UPS's current use of technology is for the benefit of micro-management, not building a strong workforce.
In my 28yrs, it was the union that protected the weak.
I bless my lucky stars the UPS "made me":peaceful:work an average of 10.5hrs a day for the last 5yrs.
Saved my money and retired 4 days ago.
Young drivers are on their own, but they better pay their union dues.:wink-very:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Ha,ha.
Entitled?
Sadly, UPS's current use of technology is for the benefit of micro-management, not building a strong workforce.
I bless my lucky stars the UPS "made me":peaceful:work an average of 10.5hrs a day for the last 5yrs.
Young drivers are on their own, but they better pay their union dues.:wink-very:
Congratulation brother on your release from ALCATRAZ lol.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Some of the new guys just need some schoolin that's all. More to the job than just going through the motions to be sucessful at it. Cracks me up when they do stuff that makes the job way harder than it really needs to be, but that's with life in general. Smarter to kill 2 or 3 birds with 1 stone than 1 stone and 1 bird lol.

rod

Retired 22 years
Ha,ha.
Entitled?

Welcome to the "Upstate doesn't believe you have the right to be here" phase of your BC experience.

MethodsMan

Way to lump in a whole generation. I'm in my mid-20's, have an attendance record similar to Cal Ripkin, have been the company 8 years. Injury and accident free in all 8 of those years.

If I feel like hustling and bustling (which is rare these days) I can out produce 2 of you mid-50's old farts.

Continue on with the 'my generation has better work ethic than yours' rubbish. I'm sure your parents were saying the same thing about you. Rinse and repeat.