Work permit expiring: will i get fired?

Gamerbig1

So I live in the United States with a work permit that allows me to work and live and do other basic things legally. I started working at UPS in June last year because I got laid off my other job when the pandemic started. My work permit expires in 2 weeks, and I already applied for my renewal permit but my lawyer said that it will take a very very long time because the immigration services are busy right now. It might take about 5 to 6 months, or maybe less, but my permit will definitely for sure come after my current one expires. I am wondering if I will get terminated at UPS when my permit expires, or if there is a way to explain to them that I already applied for my permit but that I will get it after my current permit expires. I really need this job because I can pay for many things including college.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So I live in the United States with a work permit that allows me to work and live and do other basic things legally. I started working at UPS in June last year because I got laid off my other job when the pandemic started. My work permit expires in 2 weeks, and I already applied for my renewal permit but my lawyer said that it will take a very very long time because the immigration services are busy right now. It might take about 5 to 6 months, or maybe less, but my permit will definitely for sure come after my current one expires. I am wondering if I will get terminated at UPS when my permit expires, or if there is a way to explain to them that I already applied for my permit but that I will get it after my current permit expires. I really need this job because I can pay for many things including college.
I’d let it ride don’t say anything to ups make them come to you

Roller252

Dishonesty is one of the cardinal sins around here that will get u shown the door real quick. With that in mind be forthcoming about your situation and hope for the best.

Question: Why did you wait to renew your work visa?
That's what has allowed you to legally come here to the states and work in the first place. Without it you will have much bigger issues than UPS if you intend to stay in the country and work (a legit job).

BeefiestMass

I would ask your lawyer.

nWo

Your renewal permit is pending. I highly doubt UPS will fire you for that. But you should let someone know. UPS has a ton of employees. I would imagine they have a system in place for a situation like this.

"Certain EAD renewal applicants will be able to work for 180 days after their EAD expires

Under the new rule, applicants in certain eligibility categories applying to renew an EAD can continue to work for up to 180 days while their renewal application is pending, as long as:

They apply to renew before their current EAD expires AND
They are applying in the same category that they previously applied under."

Last edited:

Gamerbig1

Your renewal permit is pending. I highly doubt UPS will fire you for that. But you should let someone know. UPS has a ton of employees. I would imagine they have a system in place for a situation like this.

"Certain EAD renewal applicants will be able to work for 180 days after their EAD expires

Under the new rule, applicants in certain eligibility categories applying to renew an EAD can continue to work for up to 180 days while their renewal application is pending, as long as:

They apply to renew before their current EAD expires AND
They are applying in the same category that they previously applied under."
Thanks, I will talk to my manager

Gamerbig1

Dishonesty is one of the cardinal sins around here that will get u shown the door real quick. With that in mind be forthcoming about your situation and hope for the best.

Question: Why did you wait to renew your work visa?
That's what has allowed you to legally come here to the states and work in the first place. Without it you will have much bigger issues than UPS if you intend to stay in the country and work (a legit job).
I had to wait and the process is taking much longer because of the many immigrants flooding at the border right now. None of this is my fault, the current immigration system is a disaster.

Box Ox

no joke, i can do that fr. my lawyer said that its taking longer to renew my card because the current administration is giving priority to the immigrants at the border since they're 'refugees'
Appreciate you putting up with and working through the official process.

meritocracy

Talk to HR *and* your teamsters business agent.

Cowboy Mac

no joke, i can do that fr. my lawyer said that its taking longer to renew my card because the current administration is giving priority to the immigrants at the border since they're 'refugees'
Just make sure you bring some lube cause those coyotes are gonna get every last dollar outta you.